Possible move to NC [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Possible move to NC

cranejc
10-13-2008, 16:04
hey guys. got an interview for a nice job in Cary, NC and we're looking for homes, just in case. we just want to know what areas of greater-Raleigh to stay out of, as i've heard it can be a rough place. if it helps, we're a middle class, college-educated couple looking for an area that would be nice for kids in the next few years. thanks a lot!

Pinki
10-14-2008, 05:01
I really cant help you with where is safe and where isn't, but you might get a few more responses on www.carolinashootersforum.com. If you are up this way around November 15th and 16th, we've got a Glock Sport Shooting Foundation match going on :)

filthy infidel
10-15-2008, 12:15
Welcome!

PM me if you are still looking for a great realtor. I know one with twenty years experience in the area- my mom!

Thx-1138
10-15-2008, 14:44
I've lived in Cary* since 2000. Great big little town. You interviewed at SAS, I presume?

City ordinances on signs and business exteriors are very restrictive. It's both a blessing and a curse. The upside is that as you drive around town, you mostly see trees instead of garish illuminated signs. The downside is that it takes a while to get to know where things are. I drove past a particular McDonald's about 300 times (not an exaggeration) before I noticed it. A McDonalds. How do you hide those?

If you want to look in Cary, I'd start out looking in North Cary, along the Harrison Ave corridor. There are some houses there that are (or used to be) a real bargain compared to the rest of the city, and are close to good elementary and middle schools.

Apex and Morrisville are also nice towns. Further out, you've got North Raleigh (nice), Holly Springs, and Fuquay-Varina. I'd probably stay away from any part of Raleigh inside the Beltline (that's the I-440 loop). It's not that the downtown area is bad, it's just that you've got the NC State Campus and all manner of other traffic issues to deal with.

Parts of Durham are pretty nice; other parts aren't, and some of the bad parts are intermingled with the good parts.

*Containment Area for Relocated Yankees.

hawgrider
10-16-2008, 07:25
There are lots of nice areasas mentioned above also just east and south of Raleigh. If you need anymore info you can PM me. As far as prices some decent homes from about $225k to the skies the limit.

RichardB
10-17-2008, 08:06
Realtor is good source of neighborhood info.