Has anyone upgraded their digital camera lately? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone upgraded their digital camera lately?

MB-G26
10-14-2008, 01:09
If you have recently upgraded your digital camera to something with more bells and whistles, and now find you don't use the prior digicam for much - have you considered selling the prior one?

Mine is being to go on the blink (started after I accidently dropped it), and I was hoping that someone might have a decent one they'd like to sell at a reasonable price to get rid of.

I have a Fujifilm FinePix2600Zoom 3X Optical Zoom, 2.0 mega pixels. It takes the "Smart Media" cards, they re about 1.75 inches tall and just under 1.5 inches wide.

It would be great to fine a digital camera that someone here has 'outgrown' and which takes that size and type of data card (so I don't have to buy new and different media cards).

Money is tight, so I thought asking along these lines might be more fiscally responsible of me than trying to buy a whole new one at "the" (proverbial) "store" (and I would worry about the reliability of some that came from a pawn shop.)

Thank you for your consideration.

filthy infidel
10-15-2008, 07:41
I got a Father's Day upgrade. I had a six year old Sony DSC S-85. Four megapixels, Carl Zeiss lens, all day and then some battery life. I have lugged it over four continents and taken tens of thousands of pictures with it. It still works as great as it did new. I loan it to the kids on occasion.

I went with another Sony because of my previous success. I picked up an Alpha 350. I didn't spend the extra dough for the Zeiss lens. I was/am very impressed. It's not a Canon or Nikon but you can't tell me it doesn't take stunning pictures. I don't yet have any resizing software so I can't upload my eleven-meg pics yet, but this camera has enabled a lot more creativity. I am very impressed with the storage capacity. I bought a high speed four gig Compactflash card for it, and found some one gig cards marked down to seven bucks each at the grocery store. On a recent return trip to Bermuda I shot sixteen hundred photos, and still had room on the four gig card! WOW! I can't believe how much money I spent on tiny MemoryStick cards!

You all are a long way ahead of me but digital SLRs have come a long way!
This puppy shoots as fast as I can trip the shutter and slows just a little with flash. The firmware is amazing as well- image record/access/modify is almost instantaneous. I haven't blown up any photos yet but I imagine that with fourteen megapixels they'll look great. I also really enjoy the manual zoom, it adds additional speed and accuracy to what I want to capture. I realize now how many good shots I missed with the old Sony because I was waiting for zoom or the dreaded 'recording-------' taskbar.

DeadMansLife
10-17-2008, 15:57
I would not worry about the media. The current cost is low compared to what it was when you bought your SM cards. Two gig SD cards can be had for >$20.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/562622-REG/Lexar_SD2GB_60_709_2GB_Platinum_II_60x.html

Eight gig cards can be had for >$40.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/562892-REG/Lexar_SD8GB_60_709_8GB_Platinum_II_60x.html

Personally, I'd ditch the smart cards and go with one of the many fine cameras on the market.

DeadMansLife
10-17-2008, 16:10
BTW, what size are your cards? 128MB is the best I could find in a 5 minute search!