Need some help with the madness.... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with the madness....

DonL
10-14-2008, 02:36
Every 7 days and 3 mins I lose my internet connection and have to reboot to get back on. I've tried to repair the connection and windows says it cannot renew IP address. Initially it would show a lost connection, but now it says everything is good. I have another computer connected through same DLink router and it doesn't lose the connection so it's not the router.....Any ideas on troubleshooting this...This just started about a month or 2 back....Oh, one time I used CCleaner and did a cleanup and got back on, but that only worked that one time??...

IndyGunFreak
10-14-2008, 04:53
Interesting you've narrowed it down so closely.. I wonder if your ISP is automatically resetting its services at those intervals...

silentpoet
10-14-2008, 09:03
Yeah, I would call the ISP tech support and ask them. When I used to have dialup I recall a limit of eight hours.

DonL
10-14-2008, 12:59
The computer isn't always on line. At the 7day mark I lose the ability to get online from that point on untill I reboot. Near the 7day mark I turned my other computer on which is connected to the same router and got on line to see if that one lost internet, but it didn't. I could still browse the net with it when the other lost its connection???.....This is nutty...Oops, almost forgot to mention...I can't connect through to my router when this happens...so, obviously not an internet provider problem.

wbgolden
10-14-2008, 13:20
which dlink router do you have? sounds like an ip lease time problem, perhaps, between the router and computer.

who is your provider and did they provide the router or did you get it yourself?

silentpoet
10-14-2008, 13:53
What happens if you repair the connection before the 7 days?

gwalchmai
10-14-2008, 13:57
Yeah, I'd just run a release and renew automatically every 6 days.

Or just have it autorestart every 7 days.

dotsun
10-14-2008, 14:57
Next time it happens try to ping the router, if that fails ping 127.0.0.1. Post the results back here. I'm leaning toward your computer's nic as the likely culprit, but it could be a few other things.

DonL
10-14-2008, 15:52
Ok...Thanks everyone for some ideas...

DLink is a DI-624...WiFi isn't running...Hard wired. I bought the router 2-3yrs ago.

I haven't tried doing a repair before 7days yet....just figured out it was doing it exactly the same time...every 7 days.

Not sure how to run a release and auto start every 6 days...not a power user.

When you say ping the router that's in command prompt....ping www.127.0.0.1.com??....or in browser.....http://127.0.0.1 (my number is diff of course) I can't get into the set-up properties of the router when the 7th day clocks by.

dotsun
10-14-2008, 18:01
Ok...Thanks everyone for some ideas...

DLink is a DI-624...WiFi isn't running...Hard wired. I bought the router 2-3yrs ago.

I haven't tried doing a repair before 7days yet....just figured out it was doing it exactly the same time...every 7 days.

Not sure how to run a release and auto start every 6 days...not a power user.

When you say ping the router that's in command prompt....ping www.127.0.0.1.com??....or in browser.....http://127.0.0.1 (my number is diff of course) I can't get into the set-up properties of the router when this happens.

Yes open a command prompt and type ping 127.0.0.1. None of the other crap, you're pinging yourself to see if your card/tcp stack is functioning. And pinging your router will look something like ping 192.168.1.1. Just do an ipconfig and ping the gateway.

Wait until it breaks to try those, of course and disable your windows firewall if you're running one as I'm not 100% sure it'll reply to a local host ping if it's on. (Never tried it) :cool:

Big Al 24
10-14-2008, 18:17
Next time it happens try to ping the router, if that fails ping 127.0.0.1. Post the results back here. I'm leaning toward your computer's nic as the likely culprit, but it could be a few other things.

I've had a buggy NIC that dropped every couple of days so that could also be a possibility.

dotsun
10-14-2008, 18:35
I've had a buggy NIC that dropped every couple of days so that could also be a possibility.

Yeah, I've seen a lot of nics go. Mostly on printers/scanners but they can all do some wacky stuff when they start to die. Since his other computer seems to be working I think his router is fine, although he could have a bad port on it.

I could be totally wrong, of course and it could be malware/cable problems/moon phase/psychic possession related. :supergrin:

DonL
10-15-2008, 09:30
I can't imagine an NIC that's buggy dropping out exactly at the same time 7days 3min later.....But hey, I guess anything is possible.

Doing a repair while everything is good gives me the same, " Could not renew IP address"

dotsun
10-15-2008, 14:45
Can you renew your ip addy on your other computer?
Ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

DonL
10-15-2008, 17:22
On good machine if release/renew I lose/regain connection. On problem machine if release/renew I lose connection and have to reboot. When connection is lost if I ping the router I get 0 received. If I ping 127.0.0.1 I get 4 received.

dotsun
10-15-2008, 17:40
The only other thing I can think of you can try before buying a new nic card is switching the cables and ports that connects to the flaky computer. Come to think of it, there is still a decent chance that it's malware or something corrupt in windows, too. Perhaps even corrupt nic card drivers. I don't know what resources you have, but if I had access to a free nic to borrow I'd prob try that next after cable and port swapping.

And now after rereading (again) your last post I'm second guessing myself. lol The basic issue is you're not receiving the dhcp reply from the router or your computer is not asking for one correctly. That could be hardware or software related, but now I'm leaning more towards software. Either corrupt driver or windows tcp stack.

dotsun
10-15-2008, 17:42
If you didn't want to bork with anything, the easy band aid is to statically assign an ip address and not worry about it. :/ I know that solution sucks. lol

DonL
10-16-2008, 16:33
Thanks dotsun,...I scanned for malware using McAfee Virus Scan(free w/Cox) but nothing came up. On one of the reboots after this problem my systems boot times to windows has slowed way down. It would take about 40 sec. Now about double that time....I think it's time to go back to the image I saved with Acronis True Image......Be up and running in 30-40 min....See what happens from there.

DonL
10-19-2008, 23:42
Found something of interest....Was using AIDA32 to look at a few things and noticed under Network that DHCP lease obtained time and DHCP lease expires time is 7 days.....Who sets the expiration time?

dotsun
10-20-2008, 04:35
Your DHCP server determines that. In your case that would probably be your router. Some routers will allow you to set that indefinitely instead of 7 days, that might be a work around to your problem as well...

gwalchmai
10-20-2008, 05:22
Not sure how to run a release and auto start every 6 days...not a power user. Look in Control Panel under Scheduled Tasks. Actually I guess it doesn't let you do every x days, but you could have it run on, say, Sunday and Thursday and it would get around your seven day window. Write batch files containing the commands you want to run:

To restart (as in restart.bat):
shutdown.exe /r

To release and renew your IP (repairip.bat):
ipconfig/release
ipconfig /renew

KharToon
10-25-2008, 07:49
check dhcp client service and set recovery options to restart on failure. Also make sure it is set to automatic for startup type.

Start
run
services.msc
Right click on DHCP Client service
Properties