Nas? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Nas?

gwalchmai
10-14-2008, 13:54
I'm looking to add 500GB of storage, and I think a little NAS appliance may be worth looking at. Anyone have experience with Buffalo LinkStation or Netgear's ReadyNAS products?

Thanks!

WhatYouWant
10-14-2008, 18:21
I do not have experience with those but have with Linksys NAS 200 and D-Link DNS-321. Stay away from the Linksys and the D-Link is ok. It really depends on what you want and how you want to store it RAID wise.

Tennessee Slim
10-15-2008, 07:39
I've had a ReadyNASs 600, an NV and an NV+. Still have the last two. The NV was their first new product after NetGear bought the company and it still had a rough edge or two. The NV+, IMO, is a mature, refined product. And product improvement is ongoing. Now they have a 6-disk ReadyNAS Pro.

Lotta neat features. I don't use 1/10th of its capabilities. Pretty sophisticated for something that started as a garage project. Here's a screen shot of the "main" page of the web management interface on the NV+ (identical to the NV):

It's configured to send me E-mail alerts of significant events. Kinda neat, when I've been living overseas, I get E-mail alerts whenever there's a power glitch back home (when the UPS tells it it's on battery power). It's been E-mailing me periodically for about a month telling me there's a new firmware update available.

RaiderRodney
10-15-2008, 07:48
I realize this is probably more than you want to spend....but I'd love to have one of these ;)

http://www.drobo.com/

Tennessee Slim
10-15-2008, 12:25
I realize this is probably more than you want to spend....but I'd love to have one of these ;)

http://www.drobo.com/
The Drobo's "Best in Value" web page overestimates the street price of a naked ReadyNAS NV+ by about almost 1/3rd (and you probably already have figured out that the HDDs are the greatest expense in a consumer NAS). But it does claim to offer some interesting functionality. I'd be eager to see how it's received by Tom's Hardware and others.

RaiderRodney
10-15-2008, 12:44
The Drobo's "Best in Value" web page overestimates the street price of a naked ReadyNAS NV+ by about almost 1/3rd (and you probably already have figured out that the HDDs are the greatest expense in a consumer NAS). But it does claim to offer some interesting functionality. I'd be eager to see how it's received by Tom's Hardware and others.

It's been out a while...here's their review of it. Pretty much they loved it but said it's expensive:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/meet-drobo,1633.html

Green_Manelishi
10-15-2008, 17:56
I do not have experience with those but have with Linksys NAS 200 and D-Link DNS-321. Stay away from the Linksys and the D-Link is ok. It really depends on what you want and how you want to store it RAID wise.

What is it about the linksys that you do/did not like?

WhatYouWant
10-15-2008, 19:15
What is it about the linksys that you do/did not like?

It was very slow on file transfers. The D-Link I have takes about 1/2 the time for the same files (I am transferring ~8GB files). It is not the drives I have in them because they all came from the same batch.

ldcarson
10-15-2008, 21:58
If you have an old PC laying around the house. Load it up with1 TB hard drives or what ever else you have and get ahold of some freeware or purchase software (Server elements) these Linix based softwares will turn an old PC into a great NAS for a real, real cheap price and add a few more years of use for that old pentium processor. I've used NASlite and others for years. Great products and do very well for a NAS, plus it helps with recylcling old PC's...Good luck!!!

Green_Manelishi
10-16-2008, 08:15
It was very slow on file transfers. The D-Link I have takes about 1/2 the time for the same files (I am transferring ~8GB files). It is not the drives I have in them because they all came from the same batch.

Ah. For sure if transfer speed is a critical metric then faster is better. If you are like me and dinna play with large files then it's not so important. There is no need for me to kill a fly with a sledgehammer :supergrin:

Big Al 24
10-22-2008, 22:25
If you have an old PC laying around the house. Load it up with1 TB hard drives or what ever else you have and get ahold of some freeware or purchase software (Server elements) these Linix based softwares will turn an old PC into a great NAS for a real, real cheap price and add a few more years of use for that old pentium processor. I've used NASlite and others for years. Great products and do very well for a NAS, plus it helps with recylcling old PC's...Good luck!!!

That's good advice. My last PC is on the desk next to me performing that function right now. It's a little Shuttle XPC (nforce 2 era) with 2 TB seagates and a raid card crammed in there.