Soccermom gets her gun permit back.......... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Soccermom gets her gun permit back..........

Dirty Dealer
10-14-2008, 20:48
LEBANON, Pa. (AP) A mother who angered fellow parents when she openly carried a pistol to her 5-year-old daughter's soccer game got her concealed weapons permit back Tuesday after a Pennsylvania judge overruled a sheriff's decision to revoke it.
Meleanie Hain lost the permit after other parents complained about the presence of the gun during a soccer game on Sept. 11. Lebanon County Judge Robert Eby, who said he also is a gun owner with a concealed weapons permit, said the law required him to return Hain's permit.
But he questioned her judgment, saying she "scared the devil" out of others at the soccer field.
"Fear doesn't belong at a kid's soccer game from any source," Eby said.
Hain testified at the Tuesday hearing that she did not intend to intimidate anyone but felt she had to carry the gun openly because warm-weather clothing made it difficult to hide a firearm. She said her husband's line of work, which was not disclosed, made her a "greater target" than the average person.
FIND MORE STORIES IN: Pennsylvania (http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/Places,+Geography/States,+Territories,+Provinces,+Islands/Pennsylvania) | Second Amendment (http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/Second+Amendment) | Easy (http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/Easy) | Hain (http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/Hain)
"I'm certainly not looking to shoot anyone over a goal," she told Eby, also adding that she had carried an unconcealed firearm without any problems in the past.
George Christianson, a lawyer for the Lebanon County Sheriff's office, said the decision would not be appealed.
Hain said she was satisfied and plans to take her gun to a youth soccer game in the future.
"People have the right to voice their opinion ... and I have a right to my Second Amendment right," she said. "A gun-free zone says to a criminal: 'Easy target.'"

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2008-10-14-soccermom-gun_N.htm?csp=34

Nicky D
10-15-2008, 23:16
I am glad that she got her permit back but she needs to keep it concealed.

deutscheglocker
10-25-2008, 22:16
I am glad that she got her permit back but she needs to keep it concealed.

You have to be kidding.

She doesn't NEED to keep it concealed if she doesn't want to. Don't you think it's her choice since it is perfectly legal to do so?

Your opinion, my opinion and the sheriffs opinion should not mean a damn thing if she so chooses to exercise her RIGHT which is a second amendment guarantee nor is it professional for a LEO to voice his or her opinion while on duty. Their job is to enforce the law Period. The sheriff should actually KNOW that open carry is legal in this state without a Pa LTCF.

Before I get too far into this, let me say that I was trained to be invisible when I am out and about. I don't carry openly except at the range, hunting, or walking the dogs in the woods.
Open carry of a firearm is legal in Pa. Two case laws, Commonwealth vs Hawkins and Commonwealth vs Ortiz specifically state this.

Damn. You people need to lighten up about how you think everyone should conceal their firearm. You and I probably always conceal but our opinion doesn't mean squat when someone has the right to do so and chooses to try to educate the general public that it is in fact, a right and above all , legal.

DG

Nicky D
10-25-2008, 23:23
You have to be kidding.

She doesn't NEED to keep it concealed if she doesn't want to. Don't you think it's her choice since it is perfectly legal to do so?

Your opinion, my opinion and the sheriffs opinion should not mean a damn thing if she so chooses to exercise her RIGHT which is a second amendment guarantee nor is it professional for a LEO to voice his or her opinion while on duty. Their job is to enforce the law Period. The sheriff should actually KNOW that open carry is legal in this state without a Pa LTCF.

Before I get too far into this, let me say that I was trained to be invisible when I am out and about. I don't carry openly except at the range, hunting, or walking the dogs in the woods.
Open carry of a firearm is legal in Pa. Two case laws, Commonwealth vs Hawkins and Commonwealth vs Ortiz specifically state this.

Damn. You people need to lighten up about how you think everyone should conceal their firearm. You and I probably always conceal but our opinion doesn't mean squat when someone has the right to do so and chooses to try to educate the general public that it is in fact, a right and above all , legal.

DG

Actually I was under the impression that if you have a concealed carry license that you must keep your gun concealed or it can be considered brandishing. From what you are saying I am very wrong and if that is the case then I stand corrected.

HandyMan Hugh
10-26-2008, 00:22
Actually I was under the impression that if you have a concealed carry license that you must keep your gun concealed or it can be considered brandishing. From what you are saying I am very wrong and if that is the case then I stand corrected.

In, Pennsylvania there is no "Brandishing" law per se. You cannot deliberately aim a gun at someone, but simply OCing is NOT actively threatning the other person. If another person "feels" threatened by the mere presence of a holstered firearm, that is their problem. The OCer cannot be charged for exercising their RTC, as long as the gun remains holstered. The OCer cannot be charged with "disturbing the peace", as long as the OCer has not done something that is more seriously threatening than simply OCing. That is the opinion of the state's AG!

The people (other Soccer Parents) who are making such a stink about Mrs. Hain's OCing at the kid's soccer games seem (IMO) to be typical libtards who don't like their "power" being challenged. Tough onions! :steamed:

Nicky D
10-26-2008, 05:44
In, Pennsylvania there is no "Brandishing" law per se. You cannot deliberately aim a gun at someone, but simply OCing is NOT actively threatning the other person. If another person "feels" threatened by the mere presence of a holstered firearm, that is their problem. The OCer cannot be charged for exercising their RTC, as long as the gun remains holstered. The OCer cannot be charged with "disturbing the peace", as long as the OCer has not done something that is more seriously threatening than simply OCing. That is the opinion of the state's AG!

The people (other Soccer Parents) who are making such a stink about Mrs. Hain's OCing at the kid's soccer games seem (IMO) to be typical libtards who don't like their "power" being challenged. Tough onions! :steamed:

Thanks for clarifying that.

deutscheglocker
10-26-2008, 06:58

NickyD,

I was getting my LTCF in Allegheny when the Sheriff's issuing agent said the exact same thing to an out of state applicant. I corrected him. Him and another LEO said they would arrest an OC'er and 302 them(mental evaluation, I believe).

As I said, I rarely OC but will stand up for everyones right to do so for whatever reason they have.

JFYI, the Pa LTCF does 2 things. It allows concealment of a carried pistol. It allows transporting a loaded pistol in a vehicle.

You must have a LTCF to openly or conceal carry in a city of the first class (the only one of which is Philly at this time)

I reread my earlier post and sounded a bit harsh. I apologize for that.

Carry on (however you want :) .

DG

HandyMan Hugh
10-26-2008, 09:30
Thanks for clarifying that.

You're welcome, Sir. Seve in PA is possibly the best resource for PA gun laws. He can state it right from the book. Steve is a pro-gun LEO, very knowledgeabe, and an all around good guy. He will often chime in when needed to clear up a misunderstanding of PA gun laws. Thanks Steve.

hokieglock
10-26-2008, 09:47
now boot that commie sheriff out of office.

HandyMan Hugh
10-26-2008, 11:57
I don't know Mrs. Hain, or what her prefrence would be. Personally, I'd be pushing for the state AG to file charges against the sheriff for "Official Misconduct", and civil rights violations. We the people need to have this sheriff OUT of office immediately. :steamed::steamed:

DFin
11-04-2008, 10:25
The permit requirement in Pa. or any state is a violation of the U.S. Constitution. The enactment by the legislature, enforcement by law enforcement, prosecution by DA's and AG's offices and the upholding of these unconstitutional laws by Judges are all crimes.
In other words, the fact that they can do these things and get away with them does not make them legal.