Translate this linux for me! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Translate this linux for me!

Cochese
10-15-2008, 14:51
Ok, so I bought *another* computer.

I was successful in installing Ubuntu in dual boot with XP Pro SP3 on my Dell XPS M1330 a few months ago and it's working fine.

Well, I just received my Dell MiNi 9 and it's awesome! Came loaded with Ubuntu for free! (Instead of $199 for xp.)

I recently purchased a Nokia E71 phone as well to replace my BB.

I wish to set up the E71 as a BT and USB modem. I am a linux noob.

I found this.
http://i-nz.net/2008/09/18/nokia-e71-as-a-usb-or-bluetooth-3g-data-modem-on-linux/

It looks straight forward but I appear to be too stupid to edit files in linux. Can someone dumb the process down for me? Or walk me through it on AIM/MSN/Y!/Gtalk?

J_86
10-15-2008, 17:49
I can try and help, I run Ubuntu and a few other Linux distros

How far , if anywhere, did you get?
Did you get wvdial installed?

Ralff
10-15-2008, 20:04
If I am not mistaken, once you install wvdial you should be able to simply double click on wvdial.conf and edit it like you would any text document. Afterwards just follow the steps and type in the commands. You may be asked for your superuser password.

Cochese
10-15-2008, 21:50
I can try and help, I run Ubuntu and a few other Linux distros

How far , if anywhere, did you get?
Did you get wvdial installed?

If I am not mistaken, once you install wvdial you should be able to simply double click on wvdial.conf and edit it like you would any text document. Afterwards just follow the steps and type in the commands. You may be asked for your superuser password.

wvdial came installed.

I'm gonna give it a shot and will report back.

Cochese
10-15-2008, 22:03
I double clicked on wvdial.conf and edited it... however when I clicked save it refused to do so and said I did not have permission. :dunno:

Cochese
10-15-2008, 22:08
.....You do not have the permissions necessary to save the file. Please check that you typed the location correctly and try again.

IndyGunFreak
10-15-2008, 22:17

See your thread in GNG.. I gave you the answer there..

IGF

Cochese
10-15-2008, 22:29
I'm gonna focus on that thread. Thanks guys!