Oh ******* what do i do? Help!!!!!!!!!!!! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Oh ******* what do i do? Help!!!!!!!!!!!!

MallNinja4Hire
10-15-2008, 21:22
Woke up turned on the laptop and this came up. Is there a chance that it could be wrong? I am on the laptop right now and it seems to be running fine but I am geting warning about corrupt ATI cli.exe and such...... virus maybe????

How the hell am I going to be able to replace this thing? Don't think it's within my technical scope to replace it myself.

Any ideas?

http://img02.picoodle.com/img/img02/3/10/15/f_HDFAILUREm_05bb787.jpg

Viper16
10-15-2008, 21:31
looks like harddrive is corrupt and is failing slowly on you. it will need to be replaced. if you are not computer-tech savvy, i would recommend either sending it to a local repair shop and buying a new HD or buy a New HD online and then have the local repair shop replace it.

could this laptop still be under warranty?

i honestly have never seen a virus do this before.

Does the computer make a clicking noise when the hard drive light blinks? or when there is activity on the computer?

MallNinja4Hire
10-15-2008, 21:39
looks like harddrive is corrupt and is failing slowly on you. it will need to be replaced. if you are not computer-tech savvy, i would recommend either sending it to a local repair shop and buying a new HD or buy a New HD online and then have the local repair shop replace it.

could this laptop still be under warranty?

i honestly have never seen a virus do this before.

Does the computer make a clicking noise when the hard drive light blinks? or when there is activity on the computer? Well provided I could figure out how to get this thing apart and back together I should be able to do it myself. I've built several systems by myself....... That said I've never done repair work on a laptop before.

Oh and in case anyone is wondering it's an Acer Aspire 5672 Yes..... I said Acer

Are all LT hard drives the same size? I'm assuming this has a 2.5 I could be wrong

The recovery software ie, Windows is on my 2nd HD D:\ that this thing has. Here's what I am wondering will the laptop still boot up with 1 HD bad or is there a way to switch the boot sequence so that it will boot off of the other drive? If so what could you recommend to install Windows in the recovery drive?

Viper16
10-15-2008, 21:43
most laptops are indeed using the std. 2.5" HD, if you have built desktops, and are confident. I am sure you could change this drive out.

To answer your question about the recovery, yeah you just go into the bios at the beginning of start up....usually have to press "delete" or "ESC" or "F1" to get into the screen. it will usually tell you which one to hit at the beginning.

Razrbk444
10-15-2008, 22:45
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you have to match the existing drive's interface, meaning PATA or SATA.

havensal
10-16-2008, 06:37
Well provided I could figure out how to get this thing apart and back together I should be able to do it myself. I've built several systems by myself....... That said I've never done repair work on a laptop before.

Oh and in case anyone is wondering it's an Acer Aspire 5672 Yes..... I said Acer

Are all LT hard drives the same size? I'm assuming this has a 2.5 I could be wrong

The recovery software ie, Windows is on my 2nd HD D:\ that this thing has. Here's what I am wondering will the laptop still boot up with 1 HD bad or is there a way to switch the boot sequence so that it will boot off of the other drive? If so what could you recommend to install Windows in the recovery drive?

As far as I know, all are 2.5" Sata or Pata I am not sure about. :dunno:

As for the 2nd HDD, NO, I will bet it is a partition on your HDD that is all. You will not have that option if you replace the HDD. If you contact Acer they may be able to instruct you on how to take the data from the D partition and put it on a CD or DVD and use that to reinstall on the new HDD.

Some laptops are easier to swap HDD's that desktops. I have a few that you pull one screw on the bottom and slide the drive cradle out. Put a new drive in the cradle and put it back in the laptop. Easy as pie. :wavey:

havensal
10-16-2008, 06:41
http://www.acerpanam.com/synapse/forms/portal20.cfm?recordid=415&formid=3404&website=AcerPanAm.com/us&siteid=7293&words=all&keywords=&areaid=7

Hard Disk Drive = 80GB SATA or higher

Viper16
10-16-2008, 07:11
Most Laptops are split into partitions...making it appear to be two Hard drives. a technician would have to put the laptop as a slave on another computer and copy it over onto the new HD in order to keep all the Windows installation information.

If I were you and were not 100% sure how to do the copying, I would take it to a service rep, and have them replace the HD.

Razrbck is right, It will be either of the two interface connections, either a SATA or a Parallel ribbon cable connection.

srhoades
10-16-2008, 09:14
As far as I know, all are 2.5" Sata or Pata I am not sure about. :dunno:

That used to be true. Now, some of the smaller laptops have the same hardives that are in iPods, 1.75" or something like that and connect with a ribbon cable.

thonl
10-16-2008, 10:08
Get yourself one of these

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817362001

Buy a replacement sata laptop hard drive, and load it into that enclosure.

Buy Acronis True Image, and make a bootable rescue CD.

Boot off the rescue cd and clone the failing drive onto the new drive.

Swap the new drive out of the enclosure, and into the laptop, and you should be set.

SMART failure's need to be dealt with ASAP - That is hardware that is on the drive itself that senses impending failure. If the drive itself is telling you it is on its way out, it is very much in your best interest to listen

Gun Shark
10-16-2008, 10:11
I have never seen that before. Scare me to.
Thats why I would buy a mac.

WellArmedSheep
10-16-2008, 10:32

Because Mac hard drives never fail...

:upeyes:

Viper16
10-16-2008, 10:42
Because Mac hard drives never fail...

:upeyes:

And when they do I suppose you could send it into Mac for a small fortune to get a new drive. :upeyes:

najaboy
10-16-2008, 14:18
LOL. A hdd doesn't care if it's a mac or pc. If it's going to fail, it's going to fail.

srhoades
10-16-2008, 18:57

It's obvious to me now how Apple can sell their computers for so much more than what a comparable PC cost.

JMC
10-16-2008, 21:32
Here's your drive, per the model number in your error message...

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=Momentus_5400.2_120_GB&vgnextoid=53bd99f4fa74c010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD&vgnextchannel=ab5fd21c2f32b010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD&reqPage=Model

It's got a manufacturer's 5 year warrenty on it. So, assuming it's less than 5 years old, don't throw it out. After you replace it, have Seagate replace and keep it on hand as a spare. Or stuff it in an external case as a second storage unit.

AmbulanceMonkee
10-16-2008, 21:45
Get yourself one of these

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817362001

Buy a replacement sata laptop hard drive, and load it into that enclosure.

Buy Acronis True Image, and make a bootable rescue CD.

Boot off the rescue cd and clone the failing drive onto the new drive.

Swap the new drive out of the enclosure, and into the laptop, and you should be set.

SMART failure's need to be dealt with ASAP - That is hardware that is on the drive itself that senses impending failure. If the drive itself is telling you it is on its way out, it is very much in your best interest to listen

Best advice so far. Every time I've fried a drive, I get the click of death, and that's it. At least you're getting some warning.

Aside from cloning the drive, you could just get a new drive, put it into the the laptop, and use the restore cd to put the factory image back on it. Then, use the usb enclosure to copy just your files back to the new drive. The only exception to this is if you don't have a restore cd. My GF's compac actually has a hidden restore partition on the hard drive, which would be useless in this scenario. If the drive and/or computer are under warranty, I still recommend spending the $35 to get the enclosure, and backing up your data on another machine before sending the laptop off for service. Most places make no guarantee they will preserve your data. In this case, they probably wouldn't even try to. They would just throw your drive away, put a new one in the laptop, reload the windows image, and send it back to you with a little note saying "tough ****, your data's gone."

As far as you being able to swap the drive, I'm confident that if you've worked on desktops, you should be able to change a hard drive on a laptop. It's almost always an external bay, with one or two screws holding the cover closed.

MallNinja4Hire
10-17-2008, 20:13
Here's your drive, per the model number in your error message...

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=Momentus_5400.2_120_GB&vgnextoid=53bd99f4fa74c010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD&vgnextchannel=ab5fd21c2f32b010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD&reqPage=Model

It's got a manufacturer's 5 year warrenty on it. So, assuming it's less than 5 years old, don't throw it out. After you replace it, have Seagate replace and keep it on hand as a spare. Or stuff it in an external case as a second storage unit.
This is interesting.......

Assuming this is correct can I just go directly to Seagate and request another drive? Or will I have to go through the BS outsourced India tech support from Acer in order to obtain a repair or replacement?

srhoades
10-17-2008, 21:13
This is interesting.......

Assuming this is correct can I just go directly to Seagate and request another drive? Or will I have to go through the BS outsourced India tech support from Acer in order to obtain a repair or replacement?

You can do it all online without talking to anyone. You can do it one of two ways.

1. Ship it back, when they get it they ship you another one.

2. Provide a credit card # and have them ship one right away. You ship yours back. They only charge your card if they don't get yours back.

JMC
10-17-2008, 21:33
Ship it back, when they get it they ship you another one.

Assuming you can read yours to pull the data off of it, remember to wipe your old data from the drive before you ship it back. No sense putting your personal data in someone else's hands unnecessarily.

theleafybug
10-18-2008, 00:04
it depends on what tripped the smart failure... hdd could still be okay. first thing is first... put the hdd in an enclosure and xfer the data to a working pc. you definitely dont want to lose any files. next, download a harddrive diagnostic tool (such as the Drive Fitness Tool, just google DFT) burn bootable cd of the tool, run it, test hdd to see if its actually defective. then replace it.

MallNinja4Hire
10-18-2008, 18:03
I'm going to assume this is my HDD. Correct?

http://img37.picoodle.com/img/img37/3/10/18/f_HDDEnclosurm_6e18ae7.jpg

THis is the 2nd panel I see no HDD

http://img37.picoodle.com/img/img37/3/10/18/f_RearPanel2m_ba634c0.jpg

Oh and
the verdict is in my HDD is pwned

http://img02.picoodle.com/img/img02/3/10/18/f_seatoolsm_994efb7.jpg

najaboy
10-18-2008, 18:19
That would be it. The caddy that it's in slides outboard, and the drive is held into the caddy with four screws.

Big Al 24
10-18-2008, 19:31
It's obvious to me now how Apple can sell their computers for so much more than what a comparable PC cost.

Yeah, some folks can't drink enough kool aid.

MallNinja4Hire
10-20-2008, 12:59
Well I had a virus nightmare which required a complete reinstall windows because I kept on seeing this within 15.... seconds of Windows loading. Thankfully I was able to just inch out the blue screen to activate the recovery software which took about 50 tried because it kept beating me out.

http://ask-leo.com/images/bsod.png

Nothing will make me swear more or louder than that screen. Back to the topic at hand I backed up nearly 40GB of data last night on DVD. Wishing this burner was better than 8x because it took forever to get it done.

Another question which is of concern to me is the Acer Recovery Software which I am assuming is on my D:\ partition. I cannot find where the hell it is I tried unchecking hidden & protected operating system files and I see it nowhere. I would like to back up this recovery software if possible for when I get a new HDD bu I have no clue how the hell to go about it. Acer is much less than helpful in tjis matter because they want me to send my laptop in for a repair, hence repair fees which I can do myself. I would really love to save this software but I am having a beast of a time finding out where the hell it is and once I replace the drive it's gone. It's been incredibly helpful in the past with problems.

Any suggestions guys?

Also I am wanting to upgrade to a 250GB SATA when I replace this any cheap suggestions?

2nd concern

While I'm busy doing this I figured I might as well upgrade the ram. I have heard of people putting 4GB in these 5672's even though I'm seen multiple claims that 2GB is the max which is already installed. The problem is that it's only recognizing about 3.4GB of ram not the whole 4. I've read claims that the only way to get the full 4 is with a 64bitOS/processor or a bios update.

Any truth to this? Whatta ya thnk?