I messed up [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I messed up

Gonzoso
10-16-2008, 08:15
I have seen rubs and scrapes near my backyard(which is state game lands) but I had never seen the buck. So today I got up nice and early and walked 75 yards into the woods from my yard.

I was sitting at the base of a tree(i don't have a stand) and I was calling with my doe bleat. I have had this thing for years and have used it sometimes, but I never called a deer in with it. I try it but I don't really expect it to work. Today it did!

I heard something behind me, and it was a six point buck. I slowly got up, turned around, and fumble the arrow. I renocked it. I took aim, and he got his vitals behind a tree. I stood perfectly still for 2-3 minutes, bow drawn. Then he took off running.

So I tried to stalk him a bit, but then called it off because there is always tomorrow and I don't want to scare him away from his territory.

What do you all think I should do now?

Dennis in MA
10-16-2008, 18:20
Don't go into the woods so deep tomorrow? ;)

Gonzoso
10-16-2008, 23:21
Don't go into the woods so deep tomorrow? ;)

LOL, I know, it is weird hunting so close to where I live. I used to often hike miles and miles. I still do, but most of my hunting occurs between classes and work as I am unfortunately busy 7 days a week during most hunting seasons.

noway
10-17-2008, 19:01
Try Try again......;)

vafish
10-20-2008, 10:16
Tree stand

pps_dad
10-20-2008, 20:29
Put a treestand up and wait for the bigger buck to come along.

frank4570
10-23-2008, 08:09
Every time you fail you learn something(hopefully). Learn enough stuff and eventually you will do everything right enough to get the deer you are after. Bear in mind the deer learn too, though. I would probably try a totally different spot next so as not to educate the same deer too much.

kirgi08
10-23-2008, 08:33
Set a blind and stalk.Sorry All,I'm not a/n Ambush hunter.The afore is recreational.Bad times all bets are off.'08.

filthy infidel
10-23-2008, 20:48
Stay away two weeks. Put out acorns, be waiting in a stand a couple days later. I'm a noob though.