XP Service Pack 3 Ok? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : XP Service Pack 3 Ok?

Agent6-3/8
10-17-2008, 18:18
Whats the word on SP3? I hear some complaints about it when it first came out. Is it safe to download now? :dunno:

Squished
10-17-2008, 18:23
It's fine. I work in the IT field and I use it on all my personal computers. No issues.

srhoades
10-17-2008, 21:14
I've installed it on at least 20 systems without a problem.

JMC
10-17-2008, 21:38
When it first came out, there was a problem with HP computers running the factory build. This was because HP saved time by installing the operating system with drivers for both, AMD and Intel, processors. This was in violation of the proper installation of Windows XP. However, it worked fine at the time because Windows XP simply ignored the wrong driver and used the correct one. When SP3 came out, it upgraded the driver, and if you had an HP computer, the driver it upgraded (and now made primary) could be the wrong one. This caused those computers to fail. This is why you heard so much uproar about it when it first came out. It wasn't actually Microsoft's fault.

I've been running it since it was first released and I've had no problems.

Norman
10-17-2008, 21:44
It installed on my system and messed it up. I had to use Windows Recovery to go back in time a week before this thing ate my system and would do nothing but reboot continuously. SP2 is fine by me.

MallNinja4Hire
10-17-2008, 21:56
I tried to install it and got multiple errors.

Doesn't give me much confidence

Blitzer
10-17-2008, 22:03
Appeared to work on my HP/COMPAQ office model PC. ;)

pascal
10-18-2008, 06:32
Seems to be no consenus on it. I'm timid as my son-in-law installed it and crashed. Had to do a complete reinstall of SP2.
rhtwist

Sgt. Schultz
10-18-2008, 09:44
It’s hit or miss; with older computers (2+ years) seeming to have more issues. I have experienced problems that can be directly tied to the installation of sp3 on just about every brand of computer made; so many that I will not install sp3 on any computer that I repair without the owner signing off on it. On Windows XP computers I will install sp2 and all of the latest security patches available, and then I disable automatic updates and advise my customers to leave it that way. Then if M$ puts out any updates that are necessary I e-mail my customers links to the updates.

This upgrade is a good example of why I have always recommended waiting at least two weeks before installing any new updates and why most (smart) IT departments disable automatic updates. It is nearly impossible for M$ to test such critical software updates when it’s used by millions with millions of different configurations.

You can manually download updates from one of the sites listed below …

http://www.softwarepatch.com/

http://www.techspot.com/tweaks/updates/

BTW: if you have not yet installed SP3, make sure you disable, or better yet, remove, any anti-malware software first; there are several known issues that can occur during the installation of sp3 because of them.

Ffolkes
10-18-2008, 13:44
I have the same sp2 load going for a while now, have done all the incremental updates, and am having no issues at all. Is there any reason to go to sp3?

denfoote
10-20-2008, 00:16
Oh fer God's sake!!
I've been using SP3 since the beta days with abso-bloody-lutly no problems!!

G22owner
10-20-2008, 00:28
SP3 didn't like my laptop's wireless card, so I stepped back down to SP2. It wouldn't save any of the security keys, so I'd have to manually enter them everytime I wanted to use the wireless. Could be a driver issue, but I never bothered to look into it.

Bronson7
10-20-2008, 07:35
I had a problem installing it. I ended up slipstreaming it with my XP oem disc and performing a repair install. Went off without a hitch.
Bronson7

Big Al 24
10-22-2008, 01:09
It's hit or miss for many people. If you just have to try it, back up and set a restore point.

Mr King
10-22-2008, 02:54
It installed on my system and messed it up. I had to use Windows Recovery to go back in time a week before this thing ate my system and would do nothing but reboot continuously. SP2 is fine by me.

that happened to me as well. My Compaq has a AMD processor, and until I see that the problem is fixed, Ill not be downloading SP3 again. That problem only happens with a AMD Processor, so if someone can provide a link, saying all is well, Ill stay with SP2.

srhoades
10-22-2008, 08:45
that happened to me as well. My Compaq has a AMD processor, and until I see that the problem is fixed, Ill not be downloading SP3 again. That problem only happens with a AMD Processor, so if someone can provide a link, saying all is well, Ill stay with SP2.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericSoftwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=pv-60484-2&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en

Generalcarry
10-25-2008, 06:15
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericSoftwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=pv-60484-2&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en

I have a HP Media Center PC m7640n with AMD 64 processor, maxed out RAM, and about 220 gigs of HD available. I followed the steps to download this file BEFORE I was going to attempt to install SP3. I followed the directions, clicked the icon on my desktop and received the following message :

“Your system does not meet the minimum requirements for this update. Update has been canceled. (9998)”.
I don’t remember when I bought this thing, but I think it was 2-3 years ago.
Any ideas as to what went wrong? Tried it twice.

srhoades
10-25-2008, 16:30
I have a HP Media Center PC m7640n with AMD 64 processor, maxed out RAM, and about 220 gigs of HD available. I followed the steps to download this file BEFORE I was going to attempt to install SP3. I followed the directions, clicked the icon on my desktop and received the following message :

“Your system does not meet the minimum requirements for this update. Update has been canceled. (9998)”.
I don’t remember when I bought this thing, but I think it was 2-3 years ago.
Any ideas as to what went wrong? Tried it twice.

On the main hp page go to software and driver downloads, put in your model, under available downloads check to see if there is a different link provided.

G22owner
10-25-2008, 23:22

I didn't have any issues with SP3 on mine, except that it just wouldn't play nice with the wireless network card. To expound on that, it may have been more of a configuration issue, though. It wouldn't retain my security key, or SSID, so I'd have to manually enter it each time I used the laptop. I have an HP with an AthlonXP processor and no issues with it rebooting constantly.