Cant play MP3 burned discs in car [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Cant play MP3 burned discs in car

volky
10-18-2008, 16:01
My new truck has the capability to play MP3 discs, but comes up with disk err when trying to play. Manual says CD-R disks are acceptable.

Songs are MP3 format.
I tried two different programs, Sonic record now and ITunes.
Tried MP-3 format and data format.
Tried a slower burn rate.

Always comes up with the same error.
Disks will play on the PC.

What am I doing wrong?

Blitzer
10-18-2008, 16:45
Sorry to break the news to you but, the standards for track spacing, data density, etc are very loose, not all players can read all burner's disks.

volky
10-18-2008, 19:52
Sorry to break the news to you but, the standards for track spacing, data density, etc are very loose, not all players can read all burner's disks.

So if you hit the right combo, you're set, otherwise buy parts and keep trying?

DJ Niner
10-18-2008, 21:57
My new truck has the capability to play MP3 discs, but comes up with disk err when trying to play. Manual says CD-R disks are acceptable.

Songs are MP3 format.
I tried two different programs, Sonic record now and ITunes.
Tried MP-3 format and data format.
Tried a slower burn rate.

Always comes up with the same error.
Disks will play on the PC.

What am I doing wrong?Are they all in the root directory (no folders) of the disk? Some players can't deal with folders.

Check your manual for any specifics; my newer car came with a thin manual just for the sound system. I also gleaned more info from Glock-Talk-type automotive boards online.

Minuteman
10-18-2008, 22:36
Be thankful it doens't. MP3's suck, and should be destroyed.

Go buy some CD's it will sound better. Problem solved.

<----MP3 hater.

Sgt. Schultz
10-19-2008, 09:18
Be sure that you select the "close the disk after burn" option and not the "add files at a later session" option ... this will cause the problem you described.

intheburbs
10-19-2008, 09:48
Try different CDs - +R, RW, etc.

<----MP3 hater.

:laughabove: RIAA shill?

Thanks, but no thanks. I'll take my mp3 CDs with 150-200 songs per disc, than OEM CD's with 12-20 tracks per disc.

Big Al 24
10-19-2008, 21:39
Try different CDs - +R, RW, etc.

:laughabove: RIAA shill?

Thanks, but no thanks. I'll take my mp3 CDs with 150-200 songs per disc, than OEM CD's with 12-20 tracks per disc.

He could've been talking about sound quality. Audiophiles aren't fans of mp3 lossy compression.

intheburbs
10-19-2008, 23:36
He could've been talking about sound quality. Audiophiles aren't fans of mp3 lossy compression.

Oh, I'm sure he is. But even if you "roll your own" and rip CDs at a bitrate of 320 kb/sec, you can still fit 5 hours of mp3s on a CD.

Minuteman
10-20-2008, 00:38
Oh, I'm sure he is. But even if you "roll your own" and rip CDs at a bitrate of 320 kb/sec, you can still fit 5 hours of mp3s on a CD.

And it will still sound like ***.

aspartz
10-20-2008, 05:58

<----MP3 hater.

Trash the CDs, Get vinyl. Music is ANALOG. You do realize that PCM is lossy don't you?

ARS

Minuteman
10-20-2008, 06:15
Trash the CDs, Get vinyl. Music is ANALOG. You do realize that PCM is lossy don't you?

ARS

Never seen a turntable in a car. How do you like yours? Skip much?
CD's sound good, MP3's sound bad. What part of that is unclear?

hudymac
10-20-2008, 08:29
:rofl:

I had that problem with a player in my last car. It was the player. It's new right? Can you demonstrate this where you bought it? Might be worth the effort to get it replaced.

Since I replaced mine, it's been flawless.

As far as the MP3's go.... I understand about being an audiophile, my Dad is, me not so much. The problem with this is obvious to me: Instead of putting my CD collection that is worth thousands (to me) and possibly get them stolen, it's easier to put your favorite tunes (in MP3 format) on two or three CD's. That way, if your car stereo gets stolen, you are out a few CD-R's and a stereo that is covered by insurance (because your priceless CD collection in your care won't be).

Good luck with your stereo.

aspartz
10-20-2008, 16:18
Actually, RCA made one many many years ago. For some reason if was not a winner in the sales department.:dunno:

IMHO, the sound systems in most cars, as well as the acoustic environment of a moving car, do no lend themselves to true high fidelity. At the correct settings, I doubt most could tell the difference between MP3 and CD.

ARS

rhikdavis
10-20-2008, 16:38

That's why I'm thinking about putting this in my car.

http://www.elpj.com/

Rediscover your love of vinyl records with the ELP Laser Turntable!

ELP of Japan believes strongly in the value of analog music and sound stored in vinyl records. This audio should be preserved and revitalized through increasingly newer technology - without damaging the media. Since 1989, ELP has exclusively produced and promoted the Laser Turntable (LT) because:

1) Many manufacturers believe vinyl records have been replaced by CDs
2) Mass production of the LT is not possible (therefore, competitive pricing is not viable)

Laser technology allows you to enjoy music that will never again be scratched or damaged by a needle. Audio is reproduced without any digitization, providing true analog sound as close to the original master recording as possible. The LT even plays records that have been severely warped, damaged or cracked. With the accompanying remote control, you can pause, skip and scan tracks as easily as you would with a CD player!

As the sole producer of the LT, we wants to not only provide repair services but also provide a forum for LT users to share and discuss the enjoyment and timelessness of analog music. Therefore, it is our great pleasure to support the ELP Fan Club, which was established by several Japanese LT users. This group, now over 100 members strong and growing, wants to unite LT users around the world and emphasize that vinyl is not obsolete.

Minuteman
10-20-2008, 16:43
Actually, RCA made one many many years ago. For some reason if was not a winner in the sales department.:dunno:

IMHO, the sound systems in most cars, as well as the acoustic environment of a moving car, do no lend themselves to true high fidelity. At the correct settings, I doubt most could tell the difference between MP3 and CD.

ARS

Most people with a good stock or after market radio can tell the difference if you A/B compared the two sources.
No highs, no lows, no dynamic range = MP3

MP3 sound fine on cheap earbuds, that is what they are designed for. Decent headphones or a decent sound system and MP3 fails.

rhikdavis
10-20-2008, 16:47
That's why I'm thinking about putting this in my car.

http://www.elpj.com/

Rediscover your love of vinyl records with the ELP Laser Turntable!

ELP of Japan believes strongly in the value of analog music and sound stored in vinyl records. This audio should be preserved and revitalized through increasingly newer technology - without damaging the media. Since 1989, ELP has exclusively produced and promoted the Laser Turntable (LT) because:

1) Many manufacturers believe vinyl records have been replaced by CDs
2) Mass production of the LT is not possible (therefore, competitive pricing is not viable)

Laser technology allows you to enjoy music that will never again be scratched or damaged by a needle. Audio is reproduced without any digitization, providing true analog sound as close to the original master recording as possible. The LT even plays records that have been severely warped, damaged or cracked. With the accompanying remote control, you can pause, skip and scan tracks as easily as you would with a CD player!

As the sole producer of the LT, we wants to not only provide repair services but also provide a forum for LT users to share and discuss the enjoyment and timelessness of analog music. Therefore, it is our great pleasure to support the ELP Fan Club, which was established by several Japanese LT users. This group, now over 100 members strong and growing, wants to unite LT users around the world and emphasize that vinyl is not obsolete.

Only ten grand!!! Ouch.

Minuteman
10-20-2008, 17:16
Only ten grand!!! Ouch.

Ten grand, and it doesn't work.

Ersatz
10-20-2008, 20:12
Try using windows media player and burn mp3's at 128 kb/s. Doesn't get more basic than that. If it can't read WMP default at that bitrate, its time to take her back to the retailer.

pesticidal
10-20-2008, 20:17
Most people with a good stock or after market radio can tell the difference if you A/B compared the two sources.
No highs, no lows, no dynamic range = MP3

MP3 sound fine on cheap earbuds, that is what they are designed for. Decent headphones or a decent sound system and MP3 fails.

Define "most people"

I doubt most could tell the difference between MP3 and CD performance in a moving car.

Blitzer
10-20-2008, 20:30
So if you hit the right combo, you're set, otherwise buy parts and keep trying?

An expensive proposition at best and you are not going to get instant gratification. And yes all the MP3s need to be in the root of the CD not in folders, this has been true for the cheaper and older DVD home units I have tried to use.

Standalone MP3 burners for home stereos have been reported to provide the best results, that I have been able to find documented in the past. Try searching the web for related articles.

;)

I wish you the best of luck finding the correct combination . :supergrin:

najaboy
10-20-2008, 20:39
Another consideration is the media itself. Non all cd-r's are created equal. Some brands will give you a relatively high percentage of coasters.

Minuteman
10-20-2008, 21:44
Define "most people"

I doubt most could tell the difference between MP3 and CD performance in a moving car.

"Most" as in the largest group of people that are NOT wearing hearing aids or spent the afternoon firing 200 rounds of magnum loads without hearing protection (which will later require hearing aids).

DJ Niner
10-21-2008, 00:00
Define "most people"

"Most" as in the largest group of people that are NOT wearing hearing aids or spent the afternoon firing 200 rounds of magnum loads without hearing protection (which will later require hearing aids).I'm gonna have to agree with Pesty on this one, especially where we live. 75 MPH speed limit on the Interstates, plus 20 or more MPH of wind noise if it's a head wind, OR, 55+ MPH on gravel roads in the rural areas. Either of these conditions tend to reduce the practical effectiveness of a high-fidelity sound system. On top of that, consider that maybe 30+% of the population will be doing their listening in a pickup truck.

When I bought my last car (admittedly, not that expensive), it was the first I owned with a factory MP3 disk player. I quickly burned two disks (one MP3 and one "normal" CD) with the same handful of different song types, and played them while driving under these conditions. I could detect no effective difference. I now use MP3 disks exclusively in that vehicle. It might be different if I owned a Lexus and commuted in town at 40 MPH and under...