LEO reciprocity between MD and DC [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : LEO reciprocity between MD and DC

boss66tcode
10-18-2008, 22:34
I am very close to a DC LEO job. The MD concealed carry reg's don't directly state if DC LEO's can carry concealed in MD. Anyone know?

Thanks

m151m
10-20-2008, 10:01
you should ready this:

http://www.leaa.org/218/index.html

boss66tcode
10-20-2008, 21:54
Thanks for the link - that was exactly what I was looking for

NRGarrott
11-07-2008, 21:41
Congrats on the LEO job in DC. Depending on who you work for I might run into you sometime.

dex
11-30-2008, 18:31
Not sure about DC's regs but MD requires their officers to carry off-duty while in the state of MD...at least in my brothers dept. So, if I interpret this correctly in DC he would have to carry his weapon while in the MD part of DC but not the VA side. :)

So it might depend on what precinct you would be in.

Broadside
12-05-2008, 13:34
Not sure about DC's regs but MD requires their officers to carry off-duty while in the state of MD...at least in my brothers dept. So, if I interpret this correctly in DC he would have to carry his weapon while in the MD part of DC but not the VA side. :)

So it might depend on what precinct you would be in.

There is no MD or VA part of DC. It is just Washington, D.C. with it's separate Government. Washington, D.C. is actually physically surrounded by Maryland as the entire Potomac River is part of Maryland.

There is/was actually an Off-track Betting Palor in Colonial Beach, VA that sits/sat on a pier over the Potomac River because of this.

I do not know the specifics in Virginia regarding carry by LEO's. However, Virginia seems pretty friendly on this. So you are probably O.K. To be certain, however, I recommend that you get either a resident of non-resident concealed carry permit. Not every police officer is knowledgeable regarding every aspect of the law. So a permit might save you some headache.

MBrook
12-08-2008, 16:30
Almost, the Potomac is actually DC waters between Great Falls and the Wilson Bridge. Will you be working for DC or Federal?

Gun Shark
12-08-2008, 16:44
Almost, the Potomac is actually DC waters between Great Falls and the Wilson Bridge. Will you be working for DC or Federal?

if he's working for Federal he wouldn't need to ask this question because as far as I know you have jurisdiction everywhere and are never off duty. correct me if i am wrong.

MBrook
12-08-2008, 18:51
The Law Enforcement Officers' Safety Act would cover him. Straight from MSP:
http://www.mdsp.org/downloads/LEOSA_2004.pdf

boss66tcode
12-10-2008, 12:11
Thanks to everyone for the info, I am reluctant to identify online exactly which agency I will be joining. If the interested party PM's me and identifies themselves, I might divulge. Its best to be better safe than sorry especially if you are a rookie.

Again, thanks to everyone for the info

Aquanewt
12-27-2008, 23:59
Good luck in getting the job.

Coop de Ville
07-15-2009, 05:02
I work for MPD, best of luck with your hiring.

DC has so many agencies it's crazy. You won't have any problems carrying anywhere. Just have your creds with you and know your own Dept. policy. MPD recognizes ALL sworm law enforcement and allows them to carry within the District (Surprising I know).

I had a friend who went with the SS. He told me that they didn't like him to carry off duty if leaving the VA/DC/MD area... He's Federal so he's covered legally... but policy is different. He was reprimanded for running someone's license on duty, go figure.

Good luck and live in VA if you can. They are very gun friendly.

Best,

-Coop

bhughesru03
10-27-2009, 21:30
I do not know the specifics in Virginia regarding carry by LEO's. However, Virginia seems pretty friendly on this. So you are probably O.K. To be certain, however, I recommend that you get either a resident of non-resident concealed carry permit. Not every police officer is knowledgeable regarding every aspect of the law. So a permit might save you some headache.

Here is VA law on carrying concealed especially for LEO's:

Code: Section 18.2-308 (B)(2) states that the section does not apply to "any law enforcement officer" without mention of duty status. The only provision that apply would be J1.
18.2-308. Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons; when lawful to carry.
A. If any person carries about his person, hidden from common observation, (i) any pistol, revolver, or other weapon designed or intended to propel a missile of any kind by action of an explosion of any combustible material; (ii) any dirk, bowie knife, switchblade knife, ballistic knife, machete, razor, slingshot, spring stick, metal knucks, or blackjack; (iii) any flailing instrument consisting of two or more rigid parts connected in such a manner as to allow them to swing freely, which may be known as a nun chahka, nun chuck, nunchaku, shuriken, or fighting chain; (iv) any disc, of whatever configuration, having at least two points or pointed blades which is designed to be thrown or propelled and which may be known as a throwing star or oriental dart; or (v) any weapon of like kind as those enumerated in this subsection, he shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. A second violation of this section or a conviction under this section subsequent to any conviction under any substantially similar ordinance of any county, city, or town shall be punishable as a Class 6 felony, and a third or subsequent such violation shall be punishable as a Class 5 felony. For the purpose of this section, a weapon shall be deemed to be hidden from common observation when it is observable but is of such deceptive appearance as to disguise the weapon's true nature.

B. This section shall not apply to any person while in his own place of abode or the curtilage thereof.

Except as provided in subsection J1, this section shall not apply to:

1. Any person while in his own place of business;

2. Any law-enforcement officer, wherever such law-enforcement officer may travel in the Commonwealth;

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308

wprebeck
10-27-2009, 21:54
LEOSA supersedes state laws concerning the carrying of firearms by law enforcement officers.

He's good to carry in D.C.

MSP Sarge
12-06-2009, 00:19
My undersatanding of LEOSA is you my carry anywhere in the country as long as you have your ID with you on person.

bhughesru03
12-09-2009, 13:27
My undersatanding of LEOSA is you my carry anywhere in the country as long as you have your ID with you on person.

For the most part thats correct. There are a couple minor exceptions though.

Depending on the state:

A privite person can restrict someone carrying concealed on their property
&
You might not be able to carry in governmental buildings, state parks etc

Again the exceptions depend on the state. Va state law says LEO's can carry concealed any where in the state so those exceptions don't apply. Although when I go into a courthouse or something like that off duty I don't really like carrying concealed. Thats just my opinion though.