where to go on R & R? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : where to go on R & R?

CPT_CRUNCH
10-23-2008, 22:00
usually i'd go home w/ the 14 days. but the wife and i are gonna link up on this side of the atlantic. but i've known people to go on mediterranean cruises, africa, paris, munich for oktoberfest, dubai...

any ideas/suggestions.

Biscuitsjam
10-24-2008, 08:53
If you're currently deployed, keep in mind that leave dates OFTEN change at the last minute. You might be 48 hours away from your leave, and then get delayed by 2 weeks.

I've travelled through much of Europe, from Scotland to Croatia to Denmark to Italy. I'd be happy to give you suggestions, if you give some indication of what kind of trip you want. For instance, you could go relax at the beach in Croatia, hang out in dance clubs in Berlin, go to a bathhouse in Budapest, enjoy a wild drinking festival in Munich, get high in Amsterdam, bicycle between sleepy castles in the Rhine valley, look at old paintings in Paris...

CPT_CRUNCH
10-24-2008, 16:21
yes, you're right. that happened in my first deployment, it got delayed almost a month. didnt matter too much cause i just went home and didnt have any dependents.
we're considering the mediterranean cruises just cause it's all inclusive. but that tentative nature of the dates will always be the top concern. travelers insurance is a must. but you know the deal, mid-tours are all about being w/ family. so as long as i can enjoy time w/ my wife and son i'm fine.
whats your best suggestion for traveling w/ a toddler (never traveled w/ a kid)? he'll be just over a year old.

Biscuitsjam
10-24-2008, 21:48
I never travelled with children.

About the longest I stayed in one location was 4 or 5 days when I was travelling, and I journeyed by train or plane, mostly. That would be a real pain to do with a toddler in tow. A rental car would be a lot easier in that respect.

However, I think you probably hit on the right solution with a cruise.
-same room entire trip
-get to see lots of places
-easy place to keep stuff during the day or let the kid take a nap
-don't have to haul luggage around while carrying or pushing a toddler
-don't have to worry about confusing transportation

I heard great things about cruises through the Croatian islands. One island would be a party location, the next would be a relaxing getaway, and the one after that would be full of historic ruins to walk through.

Some of the Greek cruises are supposed to be really cool also - lots of history and culture there.

The exact trip you plan should reflect what you like to do, whether that is partying at a dance club, relaxing on the beach, enjoying good food and wine at a quiet cafe, visiting museums of old paintings, exploring castle ruins, going hang-gliding. Obviously, your options are more limited with a toddler, but a perfect trip for one person is NOT going to be ideal for someone else.

Your best experiences are probably going to be had in spring and fall, the "shoulder seasons" - prices are lower, crowds are smaller, but everything is still open and the weather is good.

mitshu04
10-24-2008, 23:07
Dubai FTW

CPT_CRUNCH
10-28-2008, 23:44
thanks for the info... my deployment was canceled cause i put in for a branch transfer a couple months ago. it was approved today so now i get to pcs in march to bliss.
i been in 7 years and this will be my 5th pcs. crazzzzy!