Windows Vista--Can't save programs to my HD [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista--Can't save programs to my HD

Glock13
10-24-2008, 09:45
So, I just bought a new computer with Windows Vista...please hold the laughter. Anyway, I only have one user on the computer (myself) and I thought for sure when I set it up that it said I was the administrator or at least had administrator rights. Anyway, I went to download iTunes to C:\Program Files and it wouldn't let me save it to my hard drive saying I did not have administrator permissions or something of the sort. It would let me save it in the "Users" folder?? Anybody know how to fix this??

P.S: I can see that I am going to have all sorts of fun with Vista already...but hey, at least it is pretty looking!!

solomansousana
10-24-2008, 12:32
Click on Start: click on control panel: click on user profiles: click on administrator and adjust settings.

I have both Admin and guest accts on my comp, I use the guest when I surf the web as this prevents any malicious software from downloading and installing, if by chance it bypasses my hardware firewall and software firewall.

KharToon
10-25-2008, 07:34
So, I just bought a new computer with Windows Vista...please hold the laughter. Anyway, I only have one user on the computer (myself) and I thought for sure when I set it up that it said I was the administrator or at least had administrator rights. Anyway, I went to download iTunes to C:\Program Files and it wouldn't let me save it to my hard drive saying I did not have administrator permissions or something of the sort. It would let me save it in the "Users" folder?? Anybody know how to fix this??

P.S: I can see that I am going to have all sorts of fun with Vista already...but hey, at least it is pretty looking!!

c:\documents and settings\users does not *really* exist in Vista. Save it somewhere else and it will work.

Glock13
10-27-2008, 18:36
Click on Start: click on control panel: click on user profiles: click on administrator and adjust settings.

I have both Admin and guest accts on my comp, I use the guest when I surf the web as this prevents any malicious software from downloading and installing, if by chance it bypasses my hardware firewall and software firewall.

It says I am the administrator, but I still cannot save to the "Program Files" folder?? Where can I change the settings?