Coyote Pelts [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Coyote Pelts

mangkukhan
10-24-2008, 23:59
This year will be my first varmint season. I've hunted before but never for pelts, so I have never been exactly concerned with how nice a job I did skinning my deer. This year I am gonna hunt some coyote and rather than just kill em for nothing I want to take their pelts. I was curious if anyone has pictures of pelts they've taken, or can tell me how good the condition of the pelt should be for me to sell it?

jtull7
10-25-2008, 09:12
here you go

Dalton Wayne
10-25-2008, 09:15
Holly heck thats a lot of pelts on that there fur barn

backspace
11-03-2008, 09:00
In my neck of the woods fur buyers will buy the pelt on the animal. They can skin and scrape the pelt very quickly with the right tools and a lot of practice. Prices may vary a little.

noway
11-04-2008, 23:15
don't have any pelts currently, but here's my 2cts of advice;

Price will vary on how much damage, color , condition and how many tears/holes the pelts has from skinning and the shooting.

My suggest would be to use very little blade and it better to have some meat stuck on the pelt vrs a hole where you try to cut at. get some salt and dried the pelt and get it dry, and before you do that use a ruff but not sharp scrapper to free the pelt of meat and tissue that you typically encounter on the backbone, shoulder and belly areas.

Also if you can skin the yote where it falls.

Most damages comes from carrying, dragging, carrying and dragging, plus the fact a fresh killed yote or any animal is easier to skin when it's warm.

I keep a make shift roll of twine and parachute cord in my day pack for animals like this or coons to mke a gamble with. A small knife like a Buck "prince" would be suitable for must cuts, and a small xacto (sp?) or razor blade helps on splitting the underside of the tail bone and sometime I use a plier to pull the bone up out of the tail.

Lastly,

If your in a warm climate you might have fleas and ticks, so a can or spray for flea/tick and a paper bag or plastic could help out somewhat. You spray the pelt in the bag , wait a few minutes and then remove the parasite should be dead or stung and can be brush and shaken out. The last yote I tried to skin was filled with fleas and my arms got flea bitten pretty bad when I tried to skin it. I ended up throwing away the pelt cause it was in bad condition from a host or problems.

hope the above helps.

sopdan
11-11-2008, 23:20
Straight from a fur buying company's mouth (http://www.furharvesters.com/PDF/pelthandling.pdf) (PDF file)

Their homepage is http://www.furharvesters.com

I haven't done any trapping myself, but I've seriously looked into it (got as far as buying traps last winter) over the last year as my dad's area seems to be teeming with mink.