Disabling a Touchpad-- WinXP [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Disabling a Touchpad-- WinXP

IndyGunFreak
10-25-2008, 15:44
I've got a friend w/ a laptop that is running XP Pro, and she wants to disable the touchpad, and use a mouse. It definitely can't be disabled in the BIOS, any clues? You would think this would be very easy, but I can't find an entry for it in Device mgr. to disable it..

IGF

havensal
10-25-2008, 18:22
What kind of laptop?

Many Dell models have an option to disable the touchpad when a mouse is connected. :cool:

IndyGunFreak
10-25-2008, 18:46
Hmm, well this looks like its gonna be a ridiculous exercise.

Its an Acer laptop(the exact model escapes me, but its similar to mine)...
I did some googling on "Disable Touchpad WinXP" and got a lot of references to the Synaptic Touchpad utility, and needing to install her touchpad drivers inside of the STU.

I'll have to look more in to this later, but if anyone has any other suggestions, I'd be happy to hear them.

IGF

srhoades
10-25-2008, 21:31
Is she a really clumsy typer that she often hits the touchpad? Otherwise it is not required to disable the touchpad in order to use a mouse.

IndyGunFreak
10-26-2008, 02:11
Is she a really clumsy typer that she often hits the touchpad? Otherwise it is not required to disable the touchpad in order to use a mouse.

That is indeed the problem... shes constantly hitting the touchpad.

IGF

dotsun
10-26-2008, 05:16
Speaking as the only person I've ever met that hates a damn touchpad, I can say that the synaptics driver will indeed let you disable it. Those things are the spawn of satan. :)

DragonRider
10-26-2008, 09:21
You should also be able to change the sensitivity of the pad as well.

srhoades
10-26-2008, 16:02
That is indeed the problem... shes constantly hitting the touchpad.

IGF

If you don't have the synaptic driver installed it should just show up as a PS/2 compatible mouse in device manager. You should be able to disable that.

justinsn95
10-30-2008, 03:45
If you don't have the synaptic driver installed it should just show up as a PS/2 compatible mouse in device manager. You should be able to disable that.

Exactly. Or use Msconfig to find it on startup, thats what i did. I had to find it (if im not mistaken i think i asked here) cause i imaged my laptop drive over to a desktop computer and that little driver was hogging up 99% of my CPU cause i guess it was looking for what to do or something. Found it, fixed it.

Should be this: syntpenh.exe

IndyGunFreak
10-30-2008, 06:59

I tried that, but it doesn't give me the option to disable it...

paintballwannab
10-31-2008, 11:42
Many laptops simply have a button somewhere around the touchpad that lets you turn it on or off. all three of mine have one directly above the touchpad that turns it off completely.