Let's talk new computer and XP [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk new computer and XP

GlocknSpiehl
10-26-2008, 15:27
I have been looking around to try and find a new computer to use mostly for (in this order):

1. internet
2. gaming (Civilization & 1st person shooters, not internet gaming)
3. ms office

I currently have a Compaq Presario, AMD Athalon 2800+ 2.08 GHz with 1 gig of ram. I am also way out of touch with what is current, cool, fast, etc as I dropped out of the IT biz in 2004. :embarassed:

Anyone recommend a current system with XP or downgradable to XP for around <$600? Does not need a monitor or printer.

Should I do it the hard way and make my own? Tiger Direct is a 10 min drive from my house. If so, how can I figure out what MB, video card, chipset, etc to buy?

Thanks!

Big Al 24
10-27-2008, 18:23
Here is a thread on another forum which covers your question in-depth. I think there's more opinions/options there than you can find here.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=185136

You might have to go to the last page to find more recent builds, but there are plenty of ideas to get you started.

GlocknSpiehl
10-28-2008, 18:52
Thanks!

IndyGunFreak
10-28-2008, 20:53
Do you know how broke I would be if Tiger Direct was 10min from my house.. At least w/ Internet ordering, I have a bit of restraint.

IGF

Delta-x
10-30-2008, 05:50
Here is a thread on another forum which covers your question in-depth. I think there's more opinions/options there than you can find here.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=185136

You might have to go to the last page to find more recent builds, but there are plenty of ideas to get you started.

+1 Thanks Big Al, I was on the same boat, until I read your post about

Extreme Systems. I am currently gathering the parts for the under 750 intel

system . I upgraded the cpu, case, psu, and Dvd/CD . I think it will fly, if I

can get it all together. This is a first for me, but I didnt see anything I liked

or was as good as this system will be. Everyone said go for it, so I did.....

Big Al 24
10-30-2008, 19:06
+1 Thanks Big Al, I was on the same boat, until I read your post about

Extreme Systems. I am currently gathering the parts for the under 750 intel

system . I upgraded the cpu, case, psu, and Dvd/CD . I think it will fly, if I

can get it all together. This is a first for me, but I didnt see anything I liked

or was as good as this system will be. Everyone said go for it, so I did.....

I'm glad I could help. That forum is an excellent tech resource. It really cuts though the bull with hard numbers and testing. The only advice I can give on picking system components is a list of importance.

1. PSU- Get more than you need and DON'T CHEAP OUT!!! It is more often than not the source of hard-to-diagnose crashes, and a bad one that is not supplying enough voltage will hurt your components as much or worse than one that is supplying too much. Here is a list, NO TIER 4 or 5 (I recommend 1 because it will travel with you to other systems. Many that come free with cases are trash unless the case maker is known to make good PSU's, like Silverstone, Antec, etc...

2. MOTHERBOARD- For obvious reasons. Nowadays, with some boards (if it won't void warranty) to pull off the factory installed heatsinks on the chipsets, mosfets, vm's, clean the factory installed crappy goop and replace with with AS Ceramique. I usually do this with anything that has a factory installed heatsink.

3. RAM- Make that the modules you pick are on your motherboard's compatibility list. Don't cheap out here either. If you're going to buy a good fast processor, don't gimp it up with slowly timed, low FSB RAM modules. A processor is only as snappy as the ram it's coupled with.

4. PROCESSOR- Don't buy a top of the line processor if the components listed above aren't going to let it fly like it should. Stock coolers that come with them STINK!!! Buy an aftermarket (larger is better) cooler by Thermalright, Zalman, etc...

5. VIDEO CARD- Don't buy top of the line unless you have a processor that can back it up. Most video card performance issues arise from not having enough horse power in the processor. For instance an 8800 GTX will not be the amazing upgrade you had hoped in a machine running an FX 55 or an old Celeron.

6. CASE- Must keep everything cool that I listed above. 120mm fans are much quieter than 80mm fans and the more the merrier. Don't shove $1200 worth of good components into a $30 case with one 80mm fan and a free PSU. If you change components frequently get a big case with lots of room. I have the Lian-Li V2000 with 4 120mm fans, 2 80mm fans, 12 hard drive bays, 7 optical bays, and room for 2 PSU's.

These are what I consider to be the most important parts of any computer. Hard disks are important, but there are many excellent, cheap, and now huge ones available, and I don't know how you will set up your storage. Unless you're an audiophile, you should just try your mobo's onboard sound before you spend any money on a sound card- many find that it's enough. Take your time assemble the guts outside of the case and benchmark for a couple of days to save you headaches if you get a defective product. Keep off of the carpet with PCB's because static kills. Use the mobo box as a temporary setup table, if you don't have a test bench.

Big Al 24
10-30-2008, 19:28
Do you know how broke I would be if Tiger Direct was 10min from my house.. At least w/ Internet ordering, I have a bit of restraint.

IGF

Yeah same here. I thank god that Fry's is too long a drive for me to just go and "walk around". All of the small shops around my place are WAAAY too overpriced to buy anything except network cables, fans and such. I love Best Buy though- if they have something expensive that I want to check out, I just buy it, test it out, and then return or keep it depending. Their return policy is excellent while their selection is lacking. They are also 5 minutes away from my house and they are great for things like monitors and physically large items that are too much of a hassle with shipping.

Delta-x
10-30-2008, 20:14
This is my current build. Not top of the line but okay , and I plan to run xp Pro on it:

Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3.0GHZ processor
Biostar TForce TP45D2-A7 LGA775 P-45 motherboard
G.Skill 4GB (2x2gb) 240-pin DDR2 Sdram DDR21000 (pc-8000) memory
Corsair 650w power supply
Antec 900 case with four fans (2 more opt.)
2-Western Digital hard drives 500gig. 7200rpm 16mb cache sata 3.0gb
Zotac 9600 GT-512 GeForce 9600 256-bit GDDR# pci express 2.0 video/card
LG black 2mb cache sata 20x DVD R Burner w/securedisctech

Big Al 24
10-30-2008, 22:38
Sounds great! Corsair PSU, E8400 (Very popular 'cause you can crank it up), Gskill is getting a good rep as well... Nice! That sounds like it'll be a good solid rig...Why did you pick that particular vid card? No 4870x2? What's the budget for that? Just curious?

Delta-x
10-31-2008, 04:50
Sounds great! Corsair PSU, E8400 (Very popular 'cause you can crank it up), Gskill is getting a good rep as well... Nice! That sounds like it'll be a good solid rig...Why did you pick that particular vid card? No 4870x2? What's the budget for that? Just curious?

The 9600GT vid card was "on Perkam`s list for the intel 750 system on the

Extreme System web site. I bumped the processor up from an E7200 on that

list, and changed the case , because I couldnt find the Lian PC-7B. The

Antec 900 has awesome fans on it. I used Perkam`s list as a guide, but it

looks like this system will run well over 750.00 Oh well....it should last

me for awhile. Im replacing an 8 year old Pentium 3.....:shocked:

The 4870x2 could be changed to 2-250gig HD`s. Depends on what deals I

can find on them.....Have you ever mirrored your HD`s? My bro`s idea...

Big Al 24
10-31-2008, 17:30
I have a pair of mirrored drives in my rig right now. Don't rely on it as a backup, it's definitely not. If you are going for performance, you'd want to stripe them in Raid 0 which is a better idea if you're not thinking about it as a backup. You get more storage space that way and it's a little snappier, and sometimes noisier. It's always wise to have a good UPS if you're going to be Raiding. The Antec 900 is a well loved case, I think you did fine on that one.