OEM VS. Retail operating system? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : OEM VS. Retail operating system?

jack19512
10-27-2008, 20:18
Can someone tell me what exactly has to happen so that you can't use your OEM version of operating system any more on a computer?

If I understand it correctly if you have a retail version you can use it no matter what happens as long as you only use it on one computer at a time but I am confused as to what has to happen before you can no longer use your OEM version. Thanks

Big Al 24
10-27-2008, 21:58
Can someone tell me what exactly has to happen so that you can't use your OEM version of operating system any more on a computer?

If I understand it correctly if you have a retail version you can use it no matter what happens as long as you only use it on one computer at a time but I am confused as to what has to happen before you can no longer use your OEM version. Thanks

In theory, all you have to do is change some hardware. In practice, the windows activator hotline people will almost always re-activate you as long as you say it's on the same computer. I have yet to have them shut mine off after multiple changes and reinstalls.

paintballwannab
10-31-2008, 11:38
If you loose your OEM disk you can use a retail disk to install, but it will tell you your CD key on the side of your computer is invalid. In that case, tell the hotline that you simply lost your disk but had a retail one, they'll give you a working CD key.

I wanted to to a clean install on my HP laptop but had lost my OEM disk, got the retail disk to work with a OEM key that way.

MikeG22
11-11-2008, 12:01
Basically an OEM license lives and dies with that machine. So you buy a new computer or buy new parts and assemble a new computer then you aren't supposed to install windows on that new device.

aspartz
11-11-2008, 13:58
OEM also comes with no Tech Support from M$. That support is supposed to come from the system builder.

ARS