Eod [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Eod

Biscuitsjam
10-28-2008, 08:16
Anybody know anything about the process to become EOD (89D) in the Army National Guard? There's a unit in my hometown.

I meet the PULHES requirements and the ASVAB requirements. I'm currently an E4 promotable, and I'm eligible for reenlistment in April. I'm also scheduled to go to Afghanistan about the same time, and I don't want to interfere with that.

I'm considering contacting the unit directly. By the way, I know my parents will kill me if I decide to follow through...

http://www.753eod.com/requirements.aspx

Fire_Medic
10-28-2008, 15:21
I don't know the answer to your EOD question but I can ask my recruiter if you'd like. As far as re-enlisting, talk to your unit about doing it when you're deployed. I met a local police officer who re-enlisted when he was deployed last and his signing bonus was paid in lump sum and it was tax free since he was over seas.

Good Luck

ezterra
10-28-2008, 21:05
I'm an EOD tech stationed out at Ft. Lewis. Go to http://bragg.army.mil/eod. There is some contact information there for you to call. As far as I know, you need to contact EOD recruiting to get the process started. Along with your ASVAB and PULHES, you also need to be able to get a TS clearance, go through an interview, then get through a bomb suit and chemical suit test. Good luck!

CPT_CRUNCH
10-28-2008, 23:39
you might want to start the process while deployed or just do it when you get back.
i was approved to switch MOS's today and my afghanistan deployment got nixed.
that being said, can i hitch a ride in your suitcase now?

ezterra
10-29-2008, 22:21
you might want to start the process while deployed or just do it when you get back.
i was approved to switch MOS's today and my afghanistan deployment got nixed.
that being said, can i hitch a ride in your suitcase now?
Yes, if you want to deploy, you'll want to start the process when deployed. EOD can pull you from your unit pretty much at any time. Also, EOD is a Star MOS, so you should get a pretty good bonus which would be tax free if you did it on deployment. Also, if your command allows, you will be able to OJT with an EOD unit in your AOR. You can't actually go out and run incedences with them, however, depending on how the EOD guys like you, you might be able to help out with disposals.

Biscuitsjam
10-30-2008, 10:35
So...

1. Check credit report and fix any potential problems (TS security clearance)
2. Contact EOD unit, so that I can do the interview, bomb suit test, and chemical suit test
3. Wait until in-country, then ask to reenlist as 89D

Some questions to ask a recruiter, though if anyone has answers, I'd appreciate it if you'd speak up:
In-country, do you think I'd have the choice of whether to stay with my unit or get reassigned to EOD immediately? If I don't get a say in it, which way do you think it would go?

I'm assuming that I'd stay the normal length of deployment time and that I wouldn't go to EOD school until after I got back?

If I later choose to go OCS, would there be any restrictions on that? For instance, would there be a minimum period of time that I'd have to stay EOD before I had the option of OCS?

How long do you think a minimum EOD contract would be? Could I choose 3 years, or would I be limited to only a 6-year reenlistment?

Some National Guard units have been including a promotion to sergeant for some of those that reenlist after having 5 good years of service - we've had a handful of guys do this. Our unit-level leadership thinks this program may still be in place when we get activated, though I have strong doubts. Would reenlisting for a different MOS prevent me from getting promoted?

Is there anything I could say to put my parents' minds at rest? They're likely to freak out if I choose this path.

ezterra
10-30-2008, 19:34
Lots of questions. I'll try to clear things up. However, please don't take what I say as gospel. Once you contact EOD recruiting they can really clear up a lot of things.

First thing is that you don't contact the EOD unit. You will get some paper work from the Bragg that will coordinate your interview and suit tests. However, you can swing by the shop or call them when you have some free time to check out the shop and talk to the guys there. Most tech will be more than happy to talk shop with you. Especially if you seem like a good candidate. EOD is a very small and close knit community. We don't need any dirt bags in the career field.

OJTing with an EOD company in country is real iffy. It all depends on your commander, whether he'd release you for it or not.

If memory serves me correctly, I believe you need to have 2 years of service after completing EOD school, and EOD school takes about a year.

I don't think EOD can pull you out of a deployment once you're in country, but they can definitely take you from a unit that is slated to deploy.

As for OCS, I don't know if there is a minimum time you need to serve in EOD before you can put in an OCS packet. However, I can tell you that you will want to be in an EOD company for a while to learn the tricks of the trade.

You'll have to ask the recruiter about the minimum EOD contract. I really don't know.

You will not be promoted while in EOD school. However, EOD typically always has the lowest points for just about any promotion except the senior NCO levels. Last I checked E5 was somewhere around 435 and E6 was the minimum points.

As for your parents, that's a little tough. I can tell you that the EOD training you get is the best in the world. Second to none! When I first got out of school, I had the opportunity to run some training missions with the local law enforcement bomb squads. They had an average of about 10 years experience in bomb disposal, and I never felt like I was lost or not prepared. I was able to jump right in and work with them. In fact, I felt I was better prepared and trained than they were. EOD is a hazardous job, however, you will know the risks. People think we are "nuts" for doing what we do. I think the infantry guys are "nuts" for doing what they do.

Hope this helps a little. Go for it. If you make it through you will not regret it.

nothing
11-02-2008, 00:19
Some National Guard units have been including a promotion to sergeant for some of those that reenlist after having 5 good years of service - we've had a handful of guys do this. Our unit-level leadership thinks this program may still be in place when we get activated, though I have strong doubts. Would reenlisting for a different MOS prevent me from getting promoted?

I don't know of any program to promote soldiers for reenlisting. There has to be an E-5 slot open on the UMR for you to get promoted. Obviously it wouldn't make sense to promote someone about to ETS so they would likely get passed over.

There is a program for battlefield promotions open to the national guard, the catch is you have 1 year to find an open slot for your rank/MOS when you get back. If you don't find one you'll have to go back to SPC.

If you change to a different MOS with fewer slots then it could hinder your promotion. On the other hand, if you switch to an MOS that is struggling for soldiers you could get promoted faster. For example, I have a soldier that has only been in for a little over 3 years. He started out as a 21B (combat engineer). He reclassed to 35M (Human Inteligence). As a 21B he was on the middle of the list for E-5, as a 35M he was the ONLY MOSQ soldier on the list. On top of that there were no MOSQ E-5's on his units UMR. He made E-5 in less than 4 years and as soon as he completes WLC he'll have his E-6. That will make him a SSG in about 4 years total time in service. That doesn't happen often in the National Guard.

Biscuitsjam
11-02-2008, 07:22
I don't know of any program to promote soldiers for reenlisting. There has to be an E-5 slot open on the UMR for you to get promoted. Obviously it wouldn't make sense to promote someone about to ETS so they would likely get passed over. Our S1 guys and AGR guys keep saying that a soldier with 5 good years of service, that is eligible for promotion, and has more than 1 year of service remaining, gets "automatically" promoted to E5 (even if no slot available) unless the commander signs a letter saying he doesn't deserve it. These guys are usually on top of things, but, obviously, nobody outside our state seems to have heard of anything like this.

We've had one soldier reach 5 years on a 6-year contract and then reenlist for one year - he got promoted. He was only about halfway up the list and we supposedly had no slots available. Interestingly, this was the FIRST promotion to E5 or above that we had for 3.5 YEARS. A few other soldiers reached the end of their contracts and decided not to reenlist even though they were told they'd get E5 if they stayed. One soldier got a bar to reenlistment because they were afraid he'd get promoted this way.

As I understand it, this is an extension of an active-duty policy that they're experimenting with in our state:
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/armypromotions/a/sgtautopromote.htm

It sounds retarded to me, but what do I know? In any case, 19D is no longer a shortage MOS, so the program probably doesn't apply to us anymore anyway.

I'm #1 in the state for points, but I couldn't get my MOS school to reclass to 19D until after the arbitrary cut-off, and we're not doing a standby board. It sucks that we're finally seeing promotions in my unit, and all the guys with 100-200 less points are getting promoted ahead of me.

nothing
11-02-2008, 21:12
You're a stryker unit right? How many E-5 slots does your platoon have? I'm assuming with 4 strykers per platoon each is gunned by an E-5. I know when I lead a Heavy BCT scout platoon I only had 3 E-5 slots in my platoon that went to BFV gunners. My HMMWV gunners were only slotted E-4. I did have 6 E-6 slots for my section leaders and squad leaders.

Biscuitsjam
11-03-2008, 19:16
Humvees. 18 soldiers, 6 vehicles per platoon. Right now, we have 3 E5s and 1 deployable E6, but I think we're supposed to have 4 E5 slots and 2 E6 slots.

We have several non-deployable E6s that'll be leaving soon. I have no idea which phantom soldiers are filling our E5 slots.

It's looking like we'll only have 3 soldiers with combat experience... (me, our LT, and an E6)