Help needed on home network! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Help needed on home network!

dickdaney
10-29-2008, 16:41
Ok guys this is my poreblem:

I have two desktops and one laptop conneted to the internet through an at&t dls modem and a linksys wireless router. The two desktops are networked together with your basic windows xp home setwork setup. The laptop is not networked to the desktops.

I can get on the internet with the laptop and only one of the desktops. the other desktop with not connect to the internet for *****, but I can still use the home network feature.

I've only tried the basics: Unplug everything, plug it back in, blah blah. Even when I try to hook the bad computer directly to the modem it wont connect to the net.

Any help would be great. The one that can't get on is used for business, and I've got to have net access on it.

dotsun
10-29-2008, 17:02
Try pinging your gateway, then try to ping google.com. You can get the address of your gateway by hitting start, run, then type cmd in the little box that comes up. This will open a command shell, or a big black box as my MIL calls it. Type 'ipconfig /all' and take note of what it says your gateway is. It should look like 192.168.x.x. Then type 'ping 192.168.x.x'. Obviously, replace the x's with whatever your gateway actually is.

dickdaney
10-29-2008, 17:11
Try pinging your gateway, then try to ping google.com. You can get the address of your gateway by hitting start, run, then type cmd in the little box that comes up. This will open a command shell, or a big black box as my MIL calls it. Type 'ipconfig /all' and take note of what it says your gateway is. It should look like 192.168.x.x. Then type 'ping 192.168.x.x'. Obviously, replace the x's with whatever your gateway actually is.
Just tried that with no luck.

dotsun
10-29-2008, 17:27
Post back with your ip address and gateway, also go to your working computer do an ipconfig and see if you can ping it's ip address from the borked one.

BTW, what exactly did your computer say when you tried to ping your gateway?

dickdaney
10-29-2008, 17:31
IP = 192.168.2.102 Gateway=192.168.2.1 subnet mask = 255.255.255.0

When I tried to ping the PC that doesn't work I got a "timeout": 4 packets sent, 0 received, 4 lost

dotsun
10-29-2008, 17:42
IP = 192.168.2.102 Gateway=192.168.2.1 subnet mask = 255.255.255.0

When I tried to ping the PC that doesn't work I got a "timeout": 4 packets sent, 0 received, 4 lost

I'm going with your network cable is bad, or the port that it's plugged into at the router is not working. You should have green link lights that come on and go off if you connect/disconnect the wire from your borked computer. Correctly working network connection at the computer will have a blinking amber light and a solid green light.

dickdaney
10-29-2008, 17:48
I'm going with your network cable is bad, or the port that it's plugged into at the router is not working. You should have green link lights that come on and go off if you connect/disconnect the wire from your borked computer. Correctly working network connection at the computer will have a blinking amber light and a solid green light.
Thanks for the help man, but I found the problem. It was due to some half-*****ed antivirus sofware that came with the computer. Somehow, the firewall settings got tripped and it completely shut down the internet. But when you looked at the LAN connection in the control panel, it was showing that there was no firewall. This is why I'm not a computer guy.

dotsun
10-29-2008, 17:53
Glad you got it resolved, and thanks for letting us know what it was.

That wouldn't be Norton's by chance would it?

dickdaney
10-29-2008, 18:55
No, it definitely wans't norton. Some other cheap crap.

Stompy
10-29-2008, 23:03
Try not to get too hung up on security applications. Granted, you will need a solid anti-virus program, and something to help rid your computer of ad-ware, but not much else.

I'd reccomend purchasing RegCure and Ad Aware 2008. Dont skimp, the purchased versions are MUCH better than the free ones. The first will help keep your registry squared away, and the later will cover any adware issues.

As much as I hate the damn thing, the Windows Firewall is not a half bad software firewall... ONCE you have it configured. The Linksys router you are using is acting as your hardware firewall. If you take careful notes, and allow communication only through required ports on both firewalls, you have taked a HUGE step in securing your computer.

Be prepared to get it wrong and have to back peddle a little bit. Its a learning process.

Then again, there is always Google.com. :whistling: