Hunting in Virginia Tidewater Area [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hunting in Virginia Tidewater Area

VBG23
10-29-2008, 23:02
I would like to get into deer hunting in the near future. I already have the rifle picked out, but my wife insists I have a plan of with who, what, where and when I would be hunting BEFORE she lets me spend the money on a rifle. Despite my obvious desire to buy the rifle immediately, I suppose this is a fair compromise. Who can point me to public land I can hunt on with a rifle anywhere in Virginia (preferably the Tidewater Area)?

finz50
10-30-2008, 09:16
I would like to get into deer hunting in the near future. I already have the rifle picked out, but my wife insists I have a plan of with who, what, where and when I would be hunting BEFORE she lets me spend the money on a rifle. Despite my obvious desire to buy the rifle immediately, I suppose this is a fair compromise. Who can point me to public land I can hunt on with a rifle anywhere in Virginia (preferably the Tidewater Area)?

Chickahominy WMA.....on the other side of Williamsburg.....big area, not too many people....plenty of deer......http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wmas/detail.asp?pid=1

VBG23
10-30-2008, 11:50
I was on that site and I dont know how I missed that WMA, thanks a lot. Is there anything special I would need to do other than obtain a VA Hunting License and drive up during the season?

Esox357
11-02-2008, 19:35
Out past Shenandoah mountains is plenty of National Forest land, you might check out there as well? Esox357.

finz50
11-03-2008, 07:02
Nope, you should be GTG.......if you want, I was planning on heading that way to sight in my shotgun and AR-15. If you want to go along for the ride you're more than welcome to come. PM me if you want and we can figure out a good time.

vafish
11-03-2008, 12:08
I was on that site and I dont know how I missed that WMA, thanks a lot. Is there anything special I would need to do other than obtain a VA Hunting License and drive up during the season?

Have you taken a Hunter Safety Course?

It's required to get your first VA hunting license.

VBG23
11-04-2008, 07:40
Have you taken a Hunter Safety Course?

It's required to get your first VA hunting license.

Actually not anymore, they passed a law permitting an "apprentice license." As long as you have not held a hunting license before, you get a 2 year license without the hunting class requirement but it you are only allowed to hunt with someone over 18 that holds a valid full license.
This way I can get out and hunt with some buddies from work this season and take the class at my convienience.

vafish
11-06-2008, 08:56
Actually not anymore, they passed a law permitting an "apprentice license." As long as you have not held a hunting license before, you get a 2 year license without the hunting class requirement but it you are only allowed to hunt with someone over 18 that holds a valid full license.
This way I can get out and hunt with some buddies from work this season and take the class at my convienience.

Yes but the licensed hunter has to be in control of the other hunter and their firearm, which means they have to be within arms reach of you.

VBG23
11-08-2008, 05:36
Yes but the licensed hunter has to be in control of the other hunter and their firearm, which means they have to be within arms reach of you.

I understand the limitations, but I dont intend to hunt alone since I have never been before. Also, I fully intend to take the hunter's safety course as soon as one is offered anywhere near me on a day I don't have work. I got the apprentice license so I could go hunting with my academy buddies this season if we all get an opportunity and take the class at my convienience.

vafish
11-10-2008, 11:30
I understand the limitations, but I dont intend to hunt alone since I have never been before. Also, I fully intend to take the hunter's safety course as soon as one is offered anywhere near me on a day I don't have work. I got the apprentice license so I could go hunting with my academy buddies this season if we all get an opportunity and take the class at my convienience.

As long as you understand the limitations. That's what the Apprentice license is for.

Enjoy your hunt and post pics when you get something.