Marine Amputee Returns to Combat [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Marine Amputee Returns to Combat

gunsite
10-30-2008, 10:24
harry ried said the war was lost....

the democrats said get out of iraq, quit come home, surrender.

murtha said our troops are exhausted and can't take it....

But they all forgot to tell that to the MARINES.

Later, in February 2008, Jones was visited by Commandant of the Marine Corps Gen. James T. Conway. Seizing the moment of this rare opportunity, he asked the Marine commander for orders to return to the Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Training Center at Twentynine Palms, Calif., so he could once again serve with 2/7.

“I asked to come back to 2/7, and his assistant took my info,” Jones explained. “And, a couple of days later, I had orders back to 2/7. I was so excited I almost didn’t believe it.”

When Jones checked back into his battalion, many of the Marines were awestruck. They couldn’t believe how much progress he had made on a prosthetic leg in less than a year.

That’s where the Marines of Company E, 2d Battalion, 7th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division found their comrade after the attack.

Just seconds before, Cpl. Garrett S. Jones was patrolling the streets of Iraq with his team when he was suddenly hurled 15 feet into the air by an enemy booby trap.

“It was just a big dust cloud,” said Cpl. Robert C. Pofahl, who stood 10 feet in front of Jones when the bomb detonated. “I ran toward him, and I fell in the canal. The mud was almost up to my knees. It was probably the worst smell you could smell. That’s when I saw the blood in the water.”

When Pofahl saw Jones lying there, he feared his friend’s life was cut short. Barely alive, Jones’ life was about to be changed forever.

Pofahl remembers an explosion, tumbling forward, turning back around and hearing Jones yell at the top of his lungs. He then raced to put a tourniquet on Jones’ mangled bloody left leg.

“It sounded like I was whispering and because of the explosion, I couldn’t catch my breath,” Jones said.

When Pofahl arrived at Jones’ position, he realized he couldn’t lift him out of the canal. The muddy water almost made it impossible for Pofahl to grab a hold of Jones. So, he called two other Marines to help pull Jones out.

full story...http://www.military.com/news/article/marine-corps-news/marine-amputee-returns-to-combat.html?col=1186032366495&ESRC=marine-a.nl
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l96/f721/2m3lr39.gif

chuckman
10-31-2008, 05:14
This makes me hard!

akapennypincher
11-29-2008, 19:30
During Viet Nam there was a RECON, Gunny with One-Leg who ran SOG TEAMS. There was a book about him called "ONE TOUGHT MARINE"

Great Read.

deadday
11-29-2008, 19:58
I'm glad the Corps is keeping these motivated, experienced troops....The Army just ****cans us...All of us...They are dumping highly motivated, experienced NCOs on the streets when they could do so much for a unit preparing for deployment...

drew

FastJuice
11-29-2008, 20:20
Outstanding!
There is nothing more valuable to the free world than a well motivated Marine.