Anyone know anything about being an RN in the Army [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know anything about being an RN in the Army

dana
11-01-2008, 09:09
I asked this on Sigforum but i figured i would ask here also. I finish my BSN (bachelors of science nursing) in May. One route I am seriously considering is joining the military. I am really only interested in active duty at this point in time so no reserves for me. I have no kids to worry about having to move around. My girlfriend would probably become my wife so she would move with me and get benefits. I am looking to go back to school for a master and figure they might pay for it while I am in. Also from what I hear I would start off around 2nd or 1st lieutenant. Does this sound like a good/bad idea? Does anyone else know anything about nursing in the military? I would really like to hear from any other medical personal about the quality day to day job activities in the Army.

Fire_Medic
11-01-2008, 21:43
I asked this on Sigforum but i figured i would ask here also. I finish my BSN (bachelors of science nursing) in May. One route I am seriously considering is joining the military. I am really only interested in active duty at this point in time so no reserves for me. I have no kids to worry about having to move around. My girlfriend would probably become my wife so she would move with me and get benefits. I am looking to go back to school for a master and figure they might pay for it while I am in. Also from what I hear I would start off around 2nd or 1st lieutenant. Does this sound like a good/bad idea? Does anyone else know anything about nursing in the military? I would really like to hear from any other medical personal about the quality day to day job activities in the Army.

With your bachelors in nursing you would be enlisting the OCS route to be an officer, but you still have to do basic training like everyone else, then training for your job (MOS) with the army then officer school. You should get a nice bonus and you might qualify for some money towards loan repayment. Best thing to do is talk to a recruiter to get all the answers you're looking for. Good luck.

slyjackalope
11-01-2008, 22:58
http://www.goarmy.com/JobDetail.do?id=315

CPT_CRUNCH
11-02-2008, 18:51
here a little more specific link: http://www.goarmy.com/amedd/nurse/index.jsp

i'm not a nurse so you'll have to get the specifics from the recruiter and the amedd people. fire_medic gave you some good info. you'd start off as a 2LT (we all start off as 2LT unless you're a lawyer or a doctor). regarding your masters, there are many army programs that enable you to get it. some are army sponsored and usually you have to compete for them and require an additional service commitment. however, there are also other ways to get it (g.i. bill, tuition reimbursement).

looking on the outside the amedd people have it sooo rough (not). deployed yes, stateside looks cushy. the army's a great life but its an army life. some people have trouble adjusting. good thing is you'll get experience and it'll give you and your gf (wife) a great head start. being an officer has its advantages. pm me if have an specific officer questions, i've been doing this awhile.

good luck!

DriBak
11-28-2008, 18:53
go to www.allnurses.com and click on the specialty tab and then military nurses, great info.
I just completed my BSN and have considered this myself

fitz4609
12-03-2008, 21:31
Join the US Public Health Service.
You will come in as a 0-1 with promotion to 0-2 in 18 to 24 months,
Location pay in Houston is about 1500 to 1800 per month tax free.
Add on BAS at 200 per month tax free and you are signing up for tax free dollars that many are heading to Kuwait or Iraq to get.
We have 2 open nurse positions right now.
You have to work in an Ad Max high rise Fed prison/detention facility but if you can deal with it. It is a good deal.
No loan repayment though, you would have to go to Tuba City, Az or some such for that.
Think it over. PM me.

deadday
12-03-2008, 23:23
Join the US Public Health Service.
You will come in as a 0-1 with promotion to 0-2 in 18 to 24 months,
Location pay in Houston is about 1500 to 1800 per month tax free.
Add on BAS at 200 per month tax free and you are signing up for tax free dollars that many are heading to Kuwait or Iraq to get.
We have 2 open nurse positions right now.
You have to work in an Ad Max high rise Fed prison/detention facility but if you can deal with it. It is a good deal.
No loan repayment though, you would have to go to Tuba City, Az or some such for that.
Think it over. PM me.

Can I join the USPHS after being medically retired from the Army?

drew

fitz4609
12-04-2008, 21:15
[QUOTE=deadday;11776311]Can I join the USPHS after being medically retired from the Army?

It is possible. It depends on what your medical retirement was for. If you had malaria without complications, then you would be put on a medical limited tour of duty. If after 4 years if you had no hospitalizations or serious medical problems then the limited tour would be lifted and you would have a free tour of duty. Maybe no flying, but that is a bridge to to crossed when you reach it.
Go dsp.psc.gov and look under jobs. Good Luck!