what is the point of hibernation? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : what is the point of hibernation?

cassandra
11-02-2008, 11:20
I was talking to the hubby while reading something on my Compaq laptop, and stopped for a minute or two and when I looked back it was going into hibernation. Now I can't get it to come back on.

This is happened before once or twice and I can't remember how I got out of it. I tried unplugging and removing the battery, no luck.

There is no light or fan noise at all and it's completely dead now. What am I supposed to do, and what is the purpose of this function anyway? :dunno:

cassandra
11-02-2008, 11:48
:embarassed:

G22owner
11-02-2008, 11:49
It saves the current user state to the hard drive, so you don't have to go through the entire boot process again. It should power back on just by pressing the power button. Does your laptop have a reset button on the bottom, if pressing the power button doesn't work?

SCC
11-02-2008, 11:50
TO SAVE POWER !!!! on my dell you just hit the power button and it will recover from the sleep mode

Cochese
11-03-2008, 10:37
It allows mammals such as a bear to enter a state of inactivity, usually during the winter months.

:supergrin:

MikeG22
11-11-2008, 12:04
It's the greatest thing ever. I can hibernate the laptop with all my apps open and it saves the state to the hard drive and powers completely off. Just putting it to sleep is a reduced power state and will still use battery. You can leave it off for a day or two and it will fire right back up where you left off without having to go thru a full bootup and then opening up programs again.