Ubuntu 8.10!!!! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 8.10!!!!

denfoote
11-03-2008, 00:20
I just upgraded to 8.10 from 8.04.
So far, the only difference is that I can see is that the streaming audo from my local radio station works whereas in 8.04, it didn't.
I'm pleased.

www.ubuntu.com

http://usera.ImageCave.com/denfoote/Misc_Pictures/tuxAttacks.jpg

wbgolden
11-03-2008, 00:25
i've tried every release since feisty fawn (don't remember the number). maybe this will be the one that finally wins me over completely. the last release almost had me, but i need a program that will keep my bank register as well as MS money! it's literally the only thing holding me back. and i'm not a huge fan of dual booting.

denfoote
11-03-2008, 01:10
i've tried every release since feisty fawn (don't remember the number). maybe this will be the one that finally wins me over completely. the last release almost had me, but i need a program that will keep my bank register as well as MS money! it's literally the only thing holding me back. and i'm not a huge fan of dual booting.

I'm not a fan of dual booting either, but my wife still quaffs the Gatesian koolaid!!! Although, she has admitted to "lurking" in Linux!!
If I can get a way to make Yahoo Pool work in Linux, she will be won over!!

IndyGunFreak
11-03-2008, 04:09
I'll be updating my systems to 8.10 this weekend, or maybe today... not sure. I gotta back some stuff up before doing so. I dual boot on my laptop because I really like my Zune... If you're gonna try 8.10, the torrents are cooking right now...

IGF

IndyGunFreak
11-03-2008, 04:55

Thats really more of an application issue than an Ubuntu/Linux issue.. Have you tried GnuCash? Its as good as MSMoney in my opinion... I've used it to track my Checking/Saving accounts for some time... Grisbi is also pretty good.

If you have all the necessary repositories enabled, just open a terminal and run sudo apt-get install gnucash

If GnuCash or Grisbi doesn't suit you, try looking at some of the alternatives listed here... most of them are probably in the repositories... Homebank is also pretty good, and in my opinion, quite a bit simpler than the other two for a basic checking/savings account.
http://linuxappfinder.com/alternatives?search_text=Microsoft+Money

If

jtm62
11-03-2008, 06:27
I upgraded three machines to 8.10. The desktop is working as it was, no issues to report.

However, neither of my laptops will work wirelessly anymore. The one I use is an IBM thinkpad, T42 with this wireless card: IBM 11ABG WL LAN AR5212 MiniPCI 802.11a/b/g wireless card (ath). Anyone got any ideas? I was working perfectly with 8.04... maybe I'm dumb and can't figure out the quirks of this distro. I tried everything short of wiping he configuration of my router to get this to work.

The other laptop is an HP pavillion with one of hideous Broadcom cards. I have only managed to get the wireless working in 7.10 with that one. It didn't work when I upgraded to 8.04 and still doesn't work now. The driver is installed and activated... I just can't get the filthy thing to work. Any ideas there?

As an aside, I'm disappointed Open Office 3 didn't come standard with this distro.

IndyGunFreak
11-03-2008, 06:45
I'm a bit pressed for time, but I'll try to be thorough..

First... Run lspci in a terminal, and see exactly how your wireless device is displayed on the IBM... I'd be willing to bet its probably the AR242x chipset.. which is causing a lot of issues...

06:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x 802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter (rev 01)

If thats what you get, then this thread might be helpful...
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=967654&highlight=Atheros+242x

If you're sure you don't have AR242x, try looking at the madwifi project, which is designed for Atheros chipsets...
http://madwifi-project.org/wiki/About/MadWifi

For broadcom wireless, try checking here...
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/bcm43xx

Or search the Ubuntu forums for a cure... *Most* of them I believe require you to flash the firmware, then install some software, and they start working.

IGF

jtm62
11-03-2008, 07:19

First... Run lspci in a terminal, and see exactly how your wireless device is displayed on the IBM... I'd be willing to bet its probably the AR242x chipset.. which is causing a lot of issues...

06:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x 802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter (rev 01)

If thats what you get, then this thread might be helpful...
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=967654&highlight=Atheros+242x

If you're sure you don't have AR242x, try looking at the madwifi project, which is designed for Atheros chipsets...
http://madwifi-project.org/wiki/About/MadWifi

For broadcom wireless, try checking here...
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/bcm43xx

Or search the Ubuntu forums for a cure... *Most* of them I believe require you to flash the firmware, then install some software, and they start working.

IGF

Thank you IGF,

I really need to learn more terminal commands. blah.

Anyway, my chipset is version AR5212 902.11abg NIC (rev 01), which apparently is not the culprit. I will try that suggestion you made though.

As for the broadcom... I'm gonna go comb the links you posted again to see if I can kick it into working order again.

Thanks.

jtm62
11-03-2008, 07:51

IGF

IGF you are the man!

They have stopped supporting madwifi... and have moved on to ath5k, so I went to the page for that firmwire.

I went here: http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Download to get the lastest version... and while reading I saw that this bundle also supports that stupid broadcom driver... so, I am installing on the other computer as well.

Now... I gotta figure out how to turn up the transfer rate... 1Mb/s blows.

wbgolden
11-03-2008, 08:12
Thats really more of an application issue than an Ubuntu/Linux issue.. Have you tried GnuCash? Its as good as MSMoney in my opinion... I've used it to track my Checking/Saving accounts for some time... Grisbi is also pretty good.

If you have all the necessary repositories enabled, just open a terminal and run sudo apt-get install gnucash

If GnuCash or Grisbi doesn't suit you, try looking at some of the alternatives listed here... most of them are probably in the repositories... Homebank is also pretty good, and in my opinion, quite a bit simpler than the other two for a basic checking/savings account.
http://linuxappfinder.com/alternatives?search_text=Microsoft+Money

If

Nice! The two you specified weren't things that came up when I searched for alternatives before. :) Thanks for the info, I'll be checking it out for sure!

Cochese
11-03-2008, 08:46
I just upgraded from Hardy to Intrepid on my XPS M1330. Unfortunately, I chose the "Satanic" version for a cool color scheme months ago when I first installed 8.04 and now I seem to be stuck with it. I used update manager to upgrade to intrepid after allowing normal distros and it was successful, however the Satanic splash, color scheme, etc are still present.

Anyone know how to get it back to "regular" ubuntu?

NOTE: (This is a dualboot XP machine and I need to keep the XP partition unmolested)

As an aside, I recently received my Dell Inspiron Mini9 with Dell factory loaded 8.04. :cool:

I attempted an update with it using the update manager method, but it refuses to list 8.10 as an available upgrade. I've googled, searched ubuntu forums and tried everything.

Right now, I'm building a USB install on my 8GB usbstick to see if I can install off a live session on the 8.04 box. I'd like to get the upgrade method working though... Ideas?

I'm getting a *little* better with terminal. :supergrin:

IndyGunFreak
11-03-2008, 12:14
Well, I'm posting from the Live CD now and the install is working through the process...

Is it just me, or does the default Intrepid wallpaper, look like the aftermath of a crime scene?

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j263/IndyGunFreak/intrepidlive.jpg

IndyGunFreak
11-03-2008, 12:19
I just upgraded from Hardy to Intrepid on my XPS M1330. Unfortunately, I chose the "Satanic" version for a cool color scheme months ago when I first installed 8.04 and now I seem to be stuck with it. I used update manager to upgrade to intrepid after allowing normal distros and it was successful, however the Satanic splash, color scheme, etc are still present.

NOTE: (This is a dualboot XP machine and I need to keep the XP partition unmolested)

As an aside, I recently received my Dell Inspiron Mini9 with Dell factory loaded 8.04. :cool:

I attempted an update with it using the update manager method, but it refuses to list 8.10 as an available upgrade. I've googled, searched ubuntu forums and tried everything.

Right now, I'm building a USB install on my 8GB usbstick to see if I can install off a live session on the 8.04 box. I'd like to get the upgrade method working though... Ideas?

Most of the time, it requires some changes to your sources list in order to upgrade distribution..... I don't know if the version of Ubuntu 8.04 on the Dell's is some special version, so proceed at your own risk... I'd presume it would work just fine, but I always do clean installs, so "upgrading" is a bit foreign to me.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/IntrepidUpgrades

The easiest way to do a USB install, is to google "Unetbootin".. its what I used to install Ubuntu on my eee, and it was extremely easy. It sets up the USB disk for you and then you just use it like a CD.
IGF

jtm62
11-03-2008, 12:44
Most of the time, it requires some changes to your sources list in order to upgrade distribution..... I don't know if the version of Ubuntu 8.04 on the Dell's is some special version, so proceed at your own risk... I'd presume it would work just fine, but I always do clean installs, so "upgrading" is a bit foriegn to me.

The easiest way to do a USB install, is to google "Unetbootin".. its what I used to install Ubuntu on my eee, and it was extremely easy. It sets up the USB disk for you and then you just use it like a CD.
IGF

I'm building me a bootable USB drive now... Does this make troubleshooting others computers easier? Or do you use it as an alternative to any other PCs standard operating system?

IndyGunFreak
11-03-2008, 12:54
I'm building me a bootable USB drive now... Does this make troubleshooting others computers easier? Or do you use it as an alternative to any other PCs standard operating system?

Its a little faster than a CD, but not much.. Honestly, I only use it when a PC doesn't have an optical drive (like the eee's)... I guess the good thing is you don't have to constantly burn a new disk..

IGF

IndyGunFreak
11-03-2008, 15:44
Just did clean installs on my Laptop and PC... went like clockwork on the PC, laptop kept getting grub errors(dual boots w/ xp pro)... I'm far from a Grub expert, so that required a bit of googling etc, to resolve it.

Now though, things are running swimmingly...

and I still think that wallpaper looks like the left overs of some crime scene..lol.

IGF

aircarver
11-03-2008, 15:51
I upgraded on the internet from 8.04.
Took around 50 minutes... Up & working, no issues...
Trying to get used to the 'different' stuff...
What's with the desktop widgets ??...

IndyGunFreak
11-03-2008, 15:59
I upgraded on the internet from 8.04.
Took around 50 minutes... Up & working, no issues...
Trying to get used to the 'different' stuff...
What's with the desktop widgets ??...

The ones in the panel? I've never been much of a widget person, so I either don't install them, or if I see them, I uninstall them.

Kinda funny right after installing, I had kernel updates.. :)

IGF

jtm62
11-03-2008, 16:28
8.10 is really giving me fits. It is starting to get annoying.

IGF,

I took your suggestions and got the wireless running on the thinkpad. However, the connection keeps cutting out and it is only 1Mb/s.

I've tried the iwconfig [device] rate auto and a few others... what am I missing? Any ideas?

IndyGunFreak
11-03-2008, 16:37
8.10 is really giving me fits. It is starting to get annoying.

IGF,

I took your suggestions and got the wireless running on the thinkpad. However, the connection keeps cutting out and it is only 1Mb/s.

I've tried the iwconfig [device] rate auto and a few others... what am I missing? Any ideas?

how "exactly" is lspci identifying your device? Just type lspci in a terminal and you'll see it output your pci devices, simply find your wireless device(it will look similar to mine above)

IGF

jtm62
11-03-2008, 16:50
how "exactly" is lspci identifying your device? Just type lspci in a terminal and you'll see it output your pci devices, simply find your wireless device(it will look similar to mine above)

IGF

02:02.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5212 802.11abg NIC (rev 01)

I checked the sites you posted... jumped through a couple pages and it lead me to the ath5K driver. I went through the process of setting it up... and it works... but the configuration is sketchy at best.

IndyGunFreak
11-03-2008, 17:26
02:02.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5212 802.11abg NIC (rev 01)

I checked the sites you posted... jumped through a couple pages and it lead me to the ath5K driver. I went through the process of setting it up... and it works... but the configuration is sketchy at best.

Hmm, I'm not finding anybody that is having a problem even remotely similar to yours...
I would try posing this question over on the ubuntu forums(ubuntuforums.com) in the wireless section, and see if someone can help..

Sorry, that one has me stumped.

IGF

Cochese
11-06-2008, 09:47

Most of the time, it requires some changes to your sources list in order to upgrade distribution..... I don't know if the version of Ubuntu 8.04 on the Dell's is some special version, so proceed at your own risk... I'd presume it would work just fine, but I always do clean installs, so "upgrading" is a bit foriegn to me.

IGF

I built a USB upgrade key for the eee sized Dell. Works perfect! Reference the earlierlinux assistance I made.. I even got the Nokia E71 to work as a modem through the new NM!!!!!!

I didn't want to mess with a fresh install since I have grub dualbooting XP SP3 on the Dell XPSM1330. The update went fine. I also de-satanic'd this distro back to the standard theme. :whistling:

I'm working on learning the terminal commands and if I can get Nokia PC Suite and Bills and Reminders from my XP partition to run through wine... XP will be completely worthless to me. :cool:

Thanks for your support IGF. Your a great guy.

Works

The Pontificator
11-08-2008, 13:51
I just burned 2 CD's of the new Ubuntu. Amazing how easy it is to burn ISO images to disc on a Mac :upeyes: no additional software apps needed. :tongueout:

Big Al 24
11-09-2008, 02:25
Are any of you running the x64 version?

IndyGunFreak
11-09-2008, 04:41
I never run the 64bit versions... I don't feel the minor performance improvements, make up for the total freakin hassle you have to go through on some things... Driver support, some programs are out for 32bit, but do not work under 64bit, multimedia codecs, etc. Multimedia codecs, for the most part have been resolved, but wireless drivers are still a pain for some devices. I had 64bit on my PC, and while it was a little faster on boot up, loading programs, etc. The hoop jumping got annoying, when w/ 32bit... almost everything worked out of the box with little to no fuss.

64bit will get there eventually I'm sure.. but for me, I'm sticking w/ 32bit, and thats generally what I recommend to new users, unless they have some specific need for 64bit. If they tell me for some reason they "must" have 64bit.. I usually recommend Suse. I don't have a lot of experience with it, but my understanding is its about the best 64bit distro.

IGF

Dandapani
11-09-2008, 05:33
I'm not a fan of dual booting either, but my wife still quaffs the Gatesian koolaid!!! Although, she has admitted to "lurking" in Linux!!

I'm running Fedora 9 64bit and when I tried Yahoo Pool, it brought it up as an applet. I've never played it before, but it looked like it should work. There were no opponents to try it out on. Do you have Java on your Linux box setup? I mean real Sun Java for Linux, not the open source version (what is it called? ice tea or something)?

IndyGunFreak
11-09-2008, 07:50

I'm playing yahoo pool right now...

As long as you have java installed, looks like it should work fine. I'm not sure if there's a 64bit version of Java for Ubuntu yet... (there might be for other distros)

sdsnet
11-09-2008, 08:26
Tagged.

denfoote
11-09-2008, 23:43
It went bonkers!!!!!

Something with graphics card controller.

Screen went blank.

I went back to Hardy.

duncan
11-10-2008, 00:41
I'm running Ibex on my PIII Dell Inspion 4000 and its is running flawlessly. Installed smooth and all hardware detected including my wifi card - Cisco aircard.

But can't figure out how to configure my wireless HP printer - Photosmart C4385.

Anyone?

IndyGunFreak
11-10-2008, 03:19
I'm running Ibex on my PIII Dell Inspion 4000 and its is running flawlessly. Installed smooth and all hardware detected including my wifi card - Cisco aircard.

But can't figure out how to configure my wireless HP printer - Photosmart C4385.

Anyone?

I was searching the forums, and it seems this printer should work, but nobody really provided any instructions...

Here's instructions from Ubuntu 7.10

http://cityblogger.com/archives/2008/02/19/hp-photosmart-c4388-wireless-printingscanning-on-ubuntu-linux-710

I'm assuming since it worked in 7.10, its pretty likely it will work in 8.10. I'd try asking over on the forums(I'm not that familiar w/ printer setup), but HP printers typically have solid Linux support, so I think you'll be in luck.

IGF