A part of me is considering going back in... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : A part of me is considering going back in...

the iceman
11-03-2008, 01:41
I can't help but to think that a part of me died when I left active duty in 2004. Ever since then, life has been rather boring and uneventful. Quite often I consider going back in but there is always someone to talk me out of it.

I would only want to go in as an officer though. I have noticed that there are quite a few officers on here so I thought I would ask. I guess my question here is: what process would I have to go through?

I am 28, served six years in the infantry. I got out and went to college. I now possess a BA and I am in my first semester of grad school working towards an MA. I have come to realize I don't want to be in grad school and there aren't too many jobs that thrill me as much as being a soldier did.

I never took ROTC so would I be able to go back to being an undergrad to do ROTC or would I have to enlist and go to OCS? Could I even be guaranteed OCS?

More than anything I would love to be an infantry officer but I would take what was given to me.

Any insight would be most helpful and appreciated. Thank you!

Fire_Medic
11-03-2008, 17:13
I can't help but to think that a part of me died when I left active duty in 2004. Ever since then, life has been rather boring and uneventful. Quite often I consider going back in but there is always someone to talk me out of it.

I would only want to go in as an officer though. I have noticed that there are quite a few officers on here so I thought I would ask. I guess my question here is: what process would I have to go through?

I am 28, served six years in the infantry. I got out and went to college. I now possess a BA and I am in my first semester of grad school working towards an MA. I have come to realize I don't want to be in grad school and there aren't too many jobs that thrill me as much as being a soldier did.

I never took ROTC so would I be able to go back to being an undergrad to do ROTC or would I have to enlist and go to OCS? Could I even be guaranteed OCS?

More than anything I would love to be an infantry officer but I would take what was given to me.

Any insight would be most helpful and appreciated. Thank you!

From my understanding you would re-enlist and come in to OCS directly since you already have a degree. It's like when you first enlisted for your other MOS. Best thing would be to talk to a recruiter, but I know they're hurting for officers right now so you should get picked up in a heartbeat, as long as your record still clean and all. Good luck. I just enlisted in the guard after being talked out of the military all my life. I wasn't gonna grow old and not do what I wanted. When I get ebough credits I will be applying for OCS as well. I'm the same age as you also. If you don't do it soon, then later it will be too late. If I'm not mistaken 31 is the cutoff to be commissioned now. But like I said a recruiter would be able to give you the best answers. Good luck.

Rocknropes
11-06-2008, 23:20
Im in the process of applying for air force OTS right now, and I think if i don't get picked up there, I may consider OCS for army. but either way, if you can't see yourself doing anything in the civie world that compares to your army life, I can't think of a better reason to go. You should do it. You know you want to, I thought the very same thing after college. I fear the cubicle and I fear being stuck to a boring job day in and day out. sure air force may not be as exciting as infantry but military life seems more exciting in general to most civie jobs. whatever you choose, good luck.

Rocknropes
11-06-2008, 23:22
Fire_Medic,

I see you're from Florida, where at? what high school did you go to since we're the same age.

CPT_CRUNCH
11-07-2008, 12:01
best bet is to talk to the recruiter and do ocs. you've already gone thru basic so you'd just have to complete ocs. you could also do rotc now while in grad school. i've known a couple people who did it that way years ago when i was in rotc. personally, i would not suggest rotc unless you really wanted to continue grad school. you've already been to the rodeo and rotc would just bore the sh!# outta you.

but remember, for ocs you'd be competing against others like yourself and also Soldiers who are still in. i suggest to start getting letters of recommendations from officers you served w/ while in the infantry. those letters will be an integral part of your packet.

Fox
11-10-2008, 02:45
You should look into the Army National Guard. There are several ways to become an officer here.

Biscuitsjam
11-10-2008, 08:19
Army National Guard soldiers are away from home 1/3 to 1/2 of the time. It's a lot easier to choose your branch though, and you get to pick where you live, as well as maintain a civilian career.

Biscuitsjam
11-10-2008, 08:27
If you want to stay enlisted, you can join the National Guard under the "Try One" program. You enlist for one year (no bonus), and, if you like it, you can reenlist later for more time (with bonus). If your unit gets activated while you're in the try-one, you'll be extended for the duration of their tour. Otherwise, you can get out without further obligation.

Most units roughly know their deployment schedule, so you can probably pick a unit where you'll get deployed or where you won't, if that's a concern.

Fire_Medic
11-11-2008, 19:49
Fire_Medic,

I see you're from Florida, where at? what high school did you go to since we're the same age.

Went to Sunset Senior High, in Miami Florida. :supergrin:

Sapperstang
11-13-2008, 06:55
I got out in 04 too. You're right about civilian life being boring. I considered going back for a couple years however as I get older that urge is going away. It is time to move on.

Fox
11-21-2008, 04:49
I got out in 04 too. You're right about civilian life being boring. I considered going back for a couple years however as I get older that urge is going away. It is time to move on.

You seem to think that one must give up on civilian life OR the military. Well it just ain't so.

Join the National Guard, you can have it all!

claymore504
12-12-2008, 14:17
I miss it as well. However, physically I don't think i could do Infantry anymore and that is the only MOS i would ever want!!!! If you are single and healthy i would go for it!!!

deadday
12-12-2008, 15:30
IIRC, you just finished getting your RN? The Army will trip over itself right now to get you in the door.....I would love to go back to the Army after I finish my RN, but since they retired me, it will be next to impossible.

the iceman
12-13-2008, 22:00
I forgot all about this thread. I appreciate the replies. I have never had the itch so bad before. Of course I am always talked out of it, mainly by friends of mine that are still in.

the iceman
12-13-2008, 22:05
I miss it as well. However, physically I don't think i could do Infantry anymore and that is the only MOS i would ever want!!!! If you are single and healthy i would go for it!!!

I couldn't agree with you more. There was a great sense of pride being a grunt. That job tore up my knees and my back though. Only the hardest of the hard could do it for an entire career.

I would accept something else although I could not see myself in another job.

the iceman
12-13-2008, 22:06
IIRC, you just finished getting your RN? The Army will trip over itself right now to get you in the door.....I would love to go back to the Army after I finish my RN, but since they retired me, it will be next to impossible.

Medical retirement? I have always wondered how those work. Do you get a pension and retirement benefits?

deadday
12-13-2008, 23:30
Medical retirement? I have always wondered how those work. Do you get a pension and retirement benefits?

Yup. Pension is based on disability percentage... X% disability rating gives you a montly check of X% of the average of your base pay while on active duty..

drew

Fox
12-14-2008, 14:21
I forgot all about this thread. I appreciate the replies. I have never had the itch so bad before. Of course I am always talked out of it, mainly by friends of mine that are still in.

You may like 19D Cav/Scout.