What's the point of the melt job on the SAS models [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What's the point of the melt job on the SAS models

sharpshooter
11-04-2008, 00:13
The SAS models come with a light melt job on the slide. Mostly just around the ejection port and at the front and rear of the slide.

What's the point? Why is the SAS melt job supposed to benefit CCW'ers?

It's not smaller, nor lighter except by a hair. The 239 and 229 are too heavy for no-holster pocket carry like you'd carry a bobbed revolver. Probably everybody carries these SAS Sigs in a holster 99% of the time, so what's the point of the melt job? They don't hide any better in a holster, because the holster is the same exact size whether the slide is melted or not.

If anything, the melt job should round off the hammer and the end of the grip. Those are the the parts that either jabs your side or prints under your shirt and could use some trimming.

So why is a melt job on a Sig better for CCW than a standard slide?

slewfoot
11-04-2008, 00:44
Sig long ago abandoned any pretense of manufacturing innovative pistols.

It seems they are more concerned with looks over functionality.

If you review their current list of products, it appears they have moved closer to manufacturing costume jewelry than handguns.

Their current products are more for show than go.

http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogNewProduct.aspx

The move to produce the SAS model pistols is nothing more than a marketing gimmick in order to sell more pistols.

CharlestonG26
11-04-2008, 16:43
I have to agree with slewfoot. I've owned Sigs for quite a while and think very highly of them. Mine are the older, W. German folded-slide P220s. Their reliability and accuracy are legendary. Unfortunately, the change to forged slides resulted in considerable problems with the internal extractors. Sig never seemed to be able to sort this issue out and recently switched to the external extractor. In the meantime, they kept coming out with new models - of basically the same firearm that had the extractor problem. IMO, the current Sig product line looks like a fashion show. The P239 with the melt-down treatment is just another girl on the runway. I also think it also rather odd that they'd put chunky grips on a handgun that is suppoesed to be slimmer than the standard model.

litework
11-09-2008, 06:36
I don't own an SAS, but I imagine it could be a little easier to draw from an IWB leather holster. The ejection port is an area that "digs" into my holsters when drawing. Currently, my USP is the only pistol I own that tapers the ejection port so that it won't snag. Plastic holsters practically eliminate this issue, but they have comfort issues of their own.

I image the dull corners would reduce the "bites" you get when your love handles come in contact with your pistol's surface. Sharp edges are more important than a pistol's "slimness." I can always wear bigger pants, but it's hard to keep a pistol from digging into your side when you're sitting down. The tapered edges might reduce the amount of wear on your shirt too.

Again, I don't own one of these pistols. I can see some benefit as a concealed weapon.

G33
11-09-2008, 14:04
I like the looks.
But, who am I to say?
:rofl::rofl:

Dean
11-09-2008, 14:08
it's so the gun doesn't dig into you IWB. :drillsgt:

Rex G
11-09-2008, 14:43
I have a P229 SAS, which I really bought because I prefer the only tritium dot to be in the front sight, like the old factory standard Von Stavanhagen rear sight a LOT, and prefer the DAK trigger system, all of which were in the "first generation" P229 SAS. I had always thought that SIG pistols were already nicely beveled for carry, but have found the SAS to be a bit nicer in that regard, even if it is only incremental. The SAS will enter a holster a bit easier. That is a good thing.

There are time when I just drop a pistol in my pocket, such as when checking a bump in the night in the yard, and I go outside with a shotgun in my hands, after hastily donning cargo pants. The SAS will enter and leave that pocket much more smoothly. (Don't tell me to call the police. I am the police; some bumps I check myself, and sometimes I do call, and meet my fellow officers when they arrive.) FWIW, my issued duty pants have deep, wide hip pockets that will just accomodate a P229 in an emergency. Sweet!

My love handles, fortunately, are still very minimal, but if some future prescribed medication ever makes me bloat like a balloon, the more-rounded rear of the slide will be a blessing.

So, I bought my SAS because of things other than the carry bevel job, but found it a nice bonus.

Warhorse
11-10-2008, 05:23
I also like the look of the SAS, in fact I bought the SAS 229 when it first came out, DAK trigger, front sight tritium, wood grips. It is a looker, and shoots very well, but the wood grips had to go. It now wears Hogue rubber panels, which are in my opinion, much more comfortable.
It is my understanding, that Sig hired the head honcho at Kimber (another company that is big on factory melt jobs), as the head man. Voila! Sig has the "Sig Anti Snag".

Dandapani
11-10-2008, 17:41
Sig P239 SAS 9mm (with DAK trigger). Grips are Hogue aluminum. Thin.

What's not to like?

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/518/dscn0835zd2.jpg

slewfoot
11-10-2008, 17:46
It is my understanding, that Sig hired the head honcho at Kimber (another company that is big on factory melt jobs), as the head man. Voila! Sig has the "Sig Anti Snag".

That makes sense. Kimber has been emphasizing flash over substance for sometime now. Did this Kimber head honcho bring along Kimber's extractor problems also?

If you cut quality, you should also cut the price of the product also.

Warhorse
11-11-2008, 05:50
I also like the look of the SAS, in fact I bought the SAS 229 when it first came out, DAK trigger, front sight tritium, wood grips. It is a looker, and shoots very well, but the wood grips had to go. It now wears Hogue rubber panels, which are in my opinion, much more comfortable.

That makes sense. Kimber has been emphasizing flash over substance for sometime now. Did this Kimber head honcho bring along Kimber's extractor problems also?

If you cut quality, you should also cut the price of the product also.
I don't know about him bringing QC issues with him, but they have way to many variations of models now, IMHO.

litework
11-13-2008, 20:31
I don't know about him bringing QC issues with him, but they have way to many variations of models now, IMHO.

Only their latest variation of the 229, the Elite, spawned enough interest for me to actually buy my first Sig.

Warhorse
11-14-2008, 05:19
Only their latest variation of the 229, the Elite, spawned enough interest for me to actually buy my first Sig.
That too, is one great looking pistol.

BillHickock
11-14-2008, 13:47
Well I don't own a P220 so I won't be *****in' about the extractor. I have several new Sigs, the P239, P250 and really like my P229 SAS. Quality is great and I'm very happy the ones I have aren't made of plastic. I give credit to Sig for such a variety of nice guns and thank God they all don't look alike:cool:.

To the OP, its a whole lot easier slipping a SAS in a pocket than trying to holster a gun with a picatinny rail on it.

litework
11-14-2008, 19:08
To the OP, its a whole lot easier slipping a SAS in a pocket than trying to holster a gun with a picatinny rail on it.

I don't know about that...with the rail, you can take out your gun and "snag out" your car keys at the same time.

BillHickock
11-17-2008, 09:21
I don't know about that...with the rail, you can take out your gun and "snag out" your car keys at the same time.

HA! Love those accessories!

Cobra64
11-27-2008, 22:19
Sig long ago abandoned any pretense of manufacturing innovative pistols.

It seems they are more concerned with looks over functionality.

If you review their current list of products, it appears they have moved closer to manufacturing costume jewelry than handguns.

Their current products are more for show than go.

http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogNewProduct.aspx

The move to produce the SAS model pistols is nothing more than a marketing gimmick in order to sell more pistols.
You are partially right. The 250 is innovative. But what they've done with putting rails on 93% of their guns is incredibly stoopid. Then there's all the bling in every model line.

Onegoodshot
12-01-2008, 21:10
Hmmm... I like the "soft" edges.

brickboy240
12-15-2008, 16:57
I really do NOt get the "melt jobs " on most modern pistols. I ahve never felt like I was goign to snag my older SIGs, 1911 or Hi-Power on anything. Besides, it looks like some goofball gunsmith went nuts on his buffing wheel on a bad refinishing job.

Not my cup o' tea.

- Brickboy240

cowboy1964
03-24-2010, 22:16
To me the main thing about the SAS models is lack of rails. Also, doesn't the SAS have the SRT trigger and the other versions do not? So the differences are more than just a few rounded corners.

More choices are a GOOD thing.

Cobra64
03-27-2010, 21:49
"SAS" is an acronym for "Sig Anti-Snag." It's more of a marekting gimmick than anything else.

As for the West German, German, folded slide, milled slide arguments, preferences, and controversies; all of my Sigs have operatied flawlessly with the exception of the P220ST crunchy trigger, which has nothing to do with the internal extractor.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/Davis1950/Weapons/Sig%20Sauer%20Guns/Marks%20Sigs/P220STwithnotes.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/Davis1950/Weapons/Sig%20Sauer%20Guns/Marks%20Sigs/P220/P1000577.jpg

Cobra64
03-27-2010, 21:55
To me the main thing about the SAS models is lack of rails. Also, doesn't the SAS have the SRT trigger and the other versions do not? So the differences are more than just a few rounded corners.
More choices are a GOOD thing.

The original SAS models had DAK (Double Action Kellerman) actions, which, by definition, were not SRT capable.

The "Gen 2" models are DA/SA with SRT triggers (sometimes) and may or may not have short triggers (not to be confused with short RESET triggers). Sig sometimes likes to mix and match spare parts for their MUT (Mostly Unmatched Triggers) Models. :rofl:

Dogman 10x
05-09-2012, 12:08
I love the SAS...!

bac1023
05-16-2012, 15:32
I love the SAS...!

You do realize this thread is nearly four years old, right? :headscratch: