Ruger rifle questions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ruger rifle questions

Ron3
08-07-2002, 13:02
Does the Ruger M77RS have a detachable magazine? Is it an option? I'm not quite sure if I want one or not.

Also, do you prefer the three-position saftey over Savage's two-position?

I'm deciding between Ruger and Savage and need to narrow down the differences. I like the Savages accuracy and price, but I like Rugers ruggedness and scope mount system.

Ron3

mpol777
08-07-2002, 13:52
my savage has a 3 position safety. bolt & trigger on safe/trigger on safe/fire. it doesn't do much for me, but it doesn't get in the way either. it is a very quiet safety compared to my rem 700.

EOD3
08-07-2002, 21:47
Ron,

I own a couple of 77s and they don't have detachable magazines. I don't think Ruger has changed that in the last few years. I bought a couple of Remingtons with detachable magazines and to be honest I treat them exactly alike. Load the rifle before I go out and unload it when I get back. The only thing the detachable magazine adds is the ability to loose it somewhere.

Ron3
08-07-2002, 22:20
I didn't realize the Remingtons had a noisy saftey, thanks.

Hmm, yea, I suppose I have to wonder why I'd need to do a fast magazine change in a bolt-action hunting rifle! That's what a 10mm, .357mag, or more powerfull hunting sidearm is for. (Or a nearby tree in case the hogs do a counter-attack!)
I see reasons why not to have a detachable magazine (Dirt, accidental release), any reasons TO have one? I can't think of any.

Ron3

Sharker
08-09-2002, 20:24
well i to advise you against the detachable mag, but I see you already have already gone against it. My uncle has a Rem 7400 (i think thats the model #) and the mag rattles ALOT. I have all top fed mags, and have no probs with them. The Rem safety is alittle hard to get used to but then its the most solid one out there. (IMHO)
All gunmakes make high quality rifles, and its really a matter of personal opinion.

Fox
08-13-2002, 00:55
A pump-action rifle or semi-auto would be the ticket for fast shooting.

Perhaps you really want a BAR?

Ron3
08-13-2002, 08:25
Well, I would like fast repeat shots, but I'd rather have the best accuracy I can given the choice. Additionally, I'd like the rifle to easily switch between "safe" and "ready". I don't trust manual saftey's much. To get to the area's I've hunted I have to walk through some hog infested tall grasses and muck. I like to have my weapon loaded and ready when doing so. When it's time to climb into the tree, I have to remove the magazine, take the round out of the chamber, store them, then climb into the stand. Once up there, I have to put the magazine back in, chamber a round, remove the magazine to reinsert the round I removed earlier, and then put the magazine back in. Too much hassle.

With a lever gun I trust Marlin's setup. I like to have the gun loaded, round in the chamber, with the hammer resting on the cross bolt saftey. I feel comfortable climbing into/out of a tree in this manner. But the gun was less accurate then I liked and a bit heavy.

I've heard mixed things about the slide-action guns accuracy and they have the same problem going from "safe" to "ready" and back as the semi-auto's.

So this is what has led me to want a bolt gun. I'll probobly get the Savage .243 with the sights and fixed magazine. What I haven't decided on is whether to get wood or sythetic, or what scope.

Ron3

MrMurphy
08-13-2002, 10:19
I'd get the Savage with synthetic. I really like Savage's safety and wish more rifles had them... :)

JimM_PA
09-03-2002, 21:50
Ron,
I have a Ruger 77RS (rings & open sights) that I have hunted with for many years. It does not have a detachable magazine. In particular, I like the position of the safety and the claw extractor on the bolt. It has always given me very good accuracy, and I have taken several bucks with it. I try to anchor the deer with the first shot which minimizes the need for fast followup shots. The old-timers that I learned to hunt with took pride in one shot, one deer. Fast repeat shots usually meant a miss, and the good-natured ribbing was sure to follow.
My first rifle was a scoped Marlin 336, and it is short, light and effective. My son uses it now. Quite frankly, I suggest that you completely unload it when climbing in and out of trees. I don't think the cross-bolt safety gives you any greater measure of protection than any other mechanical safety. If it's unloaded, it won't go bang when you least expect it.
Jim