Looking for Small computer w/ ISA slot - HELP [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Small computer w/ ISA slot - HELP

Tarkio
11-08-2008, 21:43
I would like to find a couple small computers like a point of sale size, that has an ISA slot and preferably has Win 98 on it with a decent HD.

Can anone direct me to a source for these? In the past I have purchased some on eBay but can't seem to find any there now.

Thanks in advance.

PS I do have a small POS (yes it stands for point of sale and piece of *****) without a HD. Any idea where I can get a HD for this computer and how to go about setting it all up.

mlane (a_t) nemont (d_o_t) net

srhoades
11-08-2008, 22:36
ISA?? Natively?? Dude, you are about 10+ years out of date. They make PCI to ISA cards, might be a lot easier route.

Big Al 24
11-08-2008, 23:26
ISA?? Natively?? Dude, you are about 10+ years out of date. They make PCI to ISA cards, might be a lot easier route.

:rofl: Yeah, it's time to upgrade....

IndyGunFreak
11-09-2008, 00:38
I would like to find a couple small computers like a point of sale size, that has an ISA slot and preferably has Win 98 on it with a decent HD.

Can anone direct me to a source for these? In the past I have purchased some on eBay but can't seem to find any there now.

Thanks in advance.

PS I do have a small POS (yes it stands for point of sale and piece of *****) without a HD. Any idea where I can get a HD for this computer and how to go about setting it all up.

mlane (a_t) nemont (d_o_t) net

Perhaps it would be best to tell us what exactly you're trying to do, and we can suggest a better alternative... a PC w/ an ISA slot... wow.. been ages since I've saw one of those.

The Hard drive would likely be no problem.. just get an IDE hard drive, and it should be OK... They aren't hard to install... then you'll need to install your OS on it(which could be problematic if you don't have the CD's for that computer)

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=322750&CatId=134

IGF

srhoades
11-09-2008, 00:42
Yeah, the hard drive would be no problem. But how stupid to buy an 80 gig hard drive when that old of a BIOS will only see 8 gigs or so?

IndyGunFreak
11-09-2008, 00:44
Yeah, the hard drive would be no problem. But how stupid to buy an 80 gig hard drive when that old of a BIOS will only see 8 gigs or so?

Well, you just chop it into 10 partitions..lol. I mean, you're not gonna find any hard drive under 80gigs I don't think.. I guess if you really look, you might find some 40's.....

:)

IGF

Big Al 24
11-09-2008, 03:24
You're really at that point where a complete upgrade would be the cheapest/easiest way out of your current headache. There is a point of diminishing returns and you reached it several years ago. Not to make fun, but eventually you just have to scrap them unless you're nostalgic.

Tarkio
11-09-2008, 08:48
Thanks for your help.

There are times when the decision to upgrade or not upgrade is not in your hands and this is one of them.

I use these computers in conjunction with an ISA framegrabber to collect images in the field. The protocol and hardware were determined some time ago and there aren't many other options available right now. So unless I want to singlehandlely undertake a new certification process in my industry and spend about $100,000 to benefit me and the other 100 people who do what I do, I guess I will keep looking for cheap used hardware to keep doing things as I am now.

I don't want to be rude, and I'm sorry if I came across that way, but this is out of my hands.

So, do you guys have any idea where I might lay my hands on a couple computers, preferably smaller, like a point of sale computer, to collect data in the field?

srhoades
11-09-2008, 09:09
OK, I just looked and they maked USB to ISA converters.

http://www.arstech.com/item-USB-2-0-to-ISA-card-ROHS-usb2isa.html

I would buy on (they look fairly cheap) test it out. If it works for you particular device you can then buy a cheap laptop to run it from.

Blitzer
11-09-2008, 09:12
I take it your cash drawer card requires an ISA slot? Old PC motherboard are available on eBay, look for them and buy three or four of them, identical mind you, for spares. I like a lot of tech keep Windows 98 disks around, search for a geek or shop in your area.

After all is said and done it may be better to find two low end P.O.S. computers off eBay complete with drawers, bar code readers, cables etc...

Tarkio
11-09-2008, 09:54
I am sorry if I misled anyone here but I don't need this for a cash drawer situation.

I use this in the field to collect ultrasound images. All I need is a computer, preferably small, because I travel all over the country and sometimes internationally. This is why I am looking for a small footprint computer like a point of sale size computer.

In the past, I found some point of sale computers that had been taken out of service on sale at eBay. Seems like they're getting scarce.

srhoades
11-09-2008, 10:26
Then get a laptop and get the USB to ISA converter instead of looking for computers that don't exist anymore.

Big Al 24
11-09-2008, 16:26
I don't think anyone thought you were being rude, I think we all assumed that you were one of those curmudgeons who refuses to upgrade. But you're not, and apparently the decision isn't completely in your hands- so pc recycling places and parts bins are in your future. I have a couple in my area that have lots of legacy devices laying around.