Madison Heights.....Still Up To Their Old Tricks [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Madison Heights.....Still Up To Their Old Tricks

DreamWeaver88
11-10-2008, 09:18
I bought a Yugo Underfolder on Friday, called the Madison Heights PD this morning and asked what their hours are for gun inspections. It's still just Tuesday and Thursday from 1pm to 3:30pm.

I really hate this!

DW

Bumpadrum
11-10-2008, 10:45
Why would you take a rifle in for an inspection? It's not required.

DreamWeaver88
11-10-2008, 11:24
In Michigan, a rifle with at least a 16" barrel or shotgun with at least an 18" barrel that measures under 30" overall (with the stock folded) but over 26" (under 26" would be an SBR) is considered a pistol.

I've already taken a Vector Underfolder in and had no problems getting the green card for it. It's just that their hours suck.

DW

Texas357
11-10-2008, 11:34
In Michigan, a rifle with at least a 16" barrel or shotgun with at least an 18" barrel that measures under 30" overall (with the stock folded) but over 26" (under 26" would be an SBR) is considered a pistol.

I've already taken a Vector Underfolder in and had no problems getting the green card for it. It's just that their hours suck.

DW

Has anyone considered a legal challenge to force them to issue permits at reasonable hours i.e. business hours?

It seems like if a license is required for something, the issuing agency has some responsibility in making licenses available, or could be pretty clearly shown in court to be impeding the process and refusing to do its duty.

Bumpadrum
11-10-2008, 13:03

DW

It took me about an hour but that finally dawned on me.:fred:

DreamWeaver88
11-10-2008, 20:51
Has anyone considered a legal challenge to force them to issue permits at reasonable hours i.e. business hours?

It seems like if a license is required for something, the issuing agency has some responsibility in making licenses available, or could be pretty clearly shown in court to be impeding the process and refusing to do its duty.

I believe there was a group putting pressure on them, but it doesn't look like it helped. Not sure if there was any legal action against them.

DW

kc8ykd
11-12-2008, 21:07
I don't mean to get too off topic here, but since that rifle is considered a pistol, could you carry that with a CPL?

Superheat
11-13-2008, 07:25
Can you register with the oakland county sherif?

Unistat
11-14-2008, 08:01
Dearborn Height's inspection hours are 12-3 Tue and Wed. I feel your pain. However, come Jan 8th, the hours will be irrelevant as there is only a mail in registration, no "inspection" so I don't see many people wasting their time on a lawsuit on the hours issue.
However, if you don't have a CPL, you will still have to go in to get a purchase permit. That is, in my mind, maybe a worse infringement (if their is such a thing) than registration. You might have someone eventually taking that to court.
The thing is, while going to court can be very decisive, it can also be very dangerous. What if they rule against you? Generally you are up the creek unless you've got boatloads of money.
I usually back legistlative reform, but that has dangers too, mainly compromise, for example, the removal of the "saftey inspection" only to have it replaced with a true registration. In my mind this is a slight improvement, if only because its more convienient and honest. Still, it is an infringement on my rights. I don't have to get a permit for or register my word processor do I?

DreamWeaver88
11-14-2008, 20:55
Dearborn Height's inspection hours are 12-3 Tue and Wed. I feel your pain. However, come Jan 8th, the hours will be irrelevant as there is only a mail in registration, no "inspection" so I don't see many people wasting their time on a lawsuit on the hours issue.

That's good to know. I haven't been following that bill like I should have been. Next year looks like I'll be buying more pistols. :cool:

DW

Superheat
11-15-2008, 19:22
That's good to know. I haven't been following that bill like I should have been. Next year looks like I'll be buying more pistols. :cool:

DW

Maybe not if BHO gets his way.

David_Ely
11-17-2008, 19:03
I don't mean to get too off topic here, but since that rifle is considered a pistol, could you carry that with a CPL?

If Michigan says it's a pistol, then you can carry it concealed with a Concealed Pistol License. Good luck finding an IWB holster for it! :rofl:

kc8ykd
11-17-2008, 21:13
If Michigan says it's a pistol, then you can carry it concealed with a Concealed Pistol License. Good luck finding an IWB holster for it! :rofl:

I think IWB would be way more accessible than the ankle :rofl:

Winter around here would be the perfect time to carry one, 7.62 would be great for penetrating those thick heavy coats everybody wears. A nice one-point sling shouldn't be too difficult to hide under a winter jacket or other coat.

Texas357
11-18-2008, 10:35
Just put it in your violin case.