Need Help with Wireless Network with Vista and XP [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with Wireless Network with Vista and XP

Nalapombu
11-11-2008, 03:36
Hey all,

My MAIN computer is a desktop running XP Service Pack 2. I have had it a couple of years and had no problems at all. Well I recently picked up a cheapo notebook on sale so I could set up a small home network and browse the internet without sitting at my desktop. The new notebook is running VISTA basic. I don't know a thing about Vista.
OK it has built in wireless networking so I had to go and get a wireless router to share my CABLE modem. I bought one, hooked it up and everything is running normal. The internet is running fine on both my desktop and my laptop using the wireless router. MAIN PROBLEM SOLVED.

My next issue is that I want to be able to copy, modify and share files between my DESKTOP and my Vista notebook. I went in enabled File and Print sharing on my desktop. Everything looked fine. I go to my notebook and I am unable to locate my DESKTOP anywhere. No matter what I do I can't get my shared drives to come up on my Visate notebook. I can't even see my desktop machine from my notebook. I made sure that both machines were using the same workgroup name which is WORKGROUP and piddled around both machines trying to see if anything jumped out at me and nothing stood out. I am about at my wits end. I have googled and yahoo'ed "networking with vista and XP" and just about every other appropriate search phrase you can think of and followed all sorts of directions with no luck. The wireless internet is working fine, no problems with the internet on both machines. I am just not able to gain access or even see my desktop XP machine on my Vista notebook.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions for me? If you have a website that might help, feel free to post it.

I appreciate all the help you can offer.

Thanks for your time.

Nala

Detectorist
11-11-2008, 04:36
Can you see your notebook running Vista on your Desktop? Is your desktop on wireless too or ethernet cable?

dotsun
11-11-2008, 05:51
Have you enabled file sharing on the vista box? I think the setting is in network properties in the control panel, but I'm not sure. You also may have to select that you're on a private network.

G22owner
11-11-2008, 06:09
The easiest way I can think of, if you have drives, or specific folders shared on each computer, would be to map network drives. Even if the Vista machine doesn't see it, it should still be able to map a drive from it, if you put in "\\notebook\C" (substitute your computer name for notebook and whatever drive/folder you have shared for C) minus the quotes in the map network drive box. This pic will help make sense of it (it's the best I could find while on my XP laptop at work):
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/fiveliterstang95/map-network-drive-02.jpg

Where it says folder, you'd put the \\notebook\C, to map the drive.

Nalapombu
11-11-2008, 08:10
Thanks fellas, I appreciate the help.

I cannot see the notebook on my XP machine.

The XP desktop is connected to the wireless router via cable. I connect to the internet on the laptop via wireless on the router.

I did go back and select that it is a PRIVATE network. I also enabled file sharing on the notebook as well. I don't have a printer for it so there was no need to switch on printer sharing. Or would I have to turn on the printer sharing on the notebook to share the printer on my desktop? I already have printer sharing enabled on my desktop and I cannot see it either when using the notebook.

As for mapping the drive on the desktop that I have shared, I went into that dialog box you show on my laptop and didn't type in a location, but I clicked "BROWSE" and couldn't see anything but my laptop listed. One other thing, on my desktop when I specified that I wanted to share my C: drive, the box to name the drive I left it as C: but when I got to the box you show in the drop-down box next to "DRIVE" every letter was listed except C:. Is that because my notebooks main drive is also C:?

Thanks again everyone. I appreciate it.

Nala

Detectorist
11-11-2008, 08:47
It appears that your wireless and ethernet networks are on different network segments.

Please do this:

start > cmd and then type the command ipconfig /all on both computers and post the results.

JWJ
CCNA, MCSE, etc.

Nalapombu
11-11-2008, 15:23
I've tried running the ipconfig from the RUN command and all I get is a black box that opens and CLOSES very quickly with no results as far as I can tell. I also tried typing
ipconfig /all and get the same thing. When I try ipconfig/all without the space I get a message telling me "windows cannot find ipconfig/all and to make sure I typed the name correctly and try again."

Am I missing something?

Thanks

Nala

StarfoxHowl
11-11-2008, 19:00
Hey all,

My MAIN computer is a desktop running XP Service Pack 2. I have had it a couple of years and had no problems at all. Well I recently picked up a cheapo notebook on sale so I could set up a small home network and browse the internet without sitting at my desktop. The new notebook is running VISTA basic. I don't know a thing about Vista.
OK it has built in wireless networking so I had to go and get a wireless router to share my CABLE modem. I bought one, hooked it up and everything is running normal. The internet is running fine on both my desktop and my laptop using the wireless router. MAIN PROBLEM SOLVED.

My next issue is that I want to be able to copy, modify and share files between my DESKTOP and my Vista notebook. I went in enabled File and Print sharing on my desktop. Everything looked fine. I go to my notebook and I am unable to locate my DESKTOP anywhere. No matter what I do I can't get my shared drives to come up on my Visate notebook. I can't even see my desktop machine from my notebook. I made sure that both machines were using the same workgroup name which is WORKGROUP and piddled around both machines trying to see if anything jumped out at me and nothing stood out. I am about at my wits end. I have googled and yahoo'ed "networking with vista and XP" and just about every other appropriate search phrase you can think of and followed all sorts of directions with no luck. The wireless internet is working fine, no problems with the internet on both machines. I am just not able to gain access or even see my desktop XP machine on my Vista notebook.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions for me? If you have a website that might help, feel free to post it.

I appreciate all the help you can offer.

Thanks for your time.

Nala

Make sure both computers are using the same workgroup name, i.e. WORKGROUP, MSHOME, GLOCKTALK <whatever>. Run the network wizzard on the XP machine to enable file and printer sharing, this also ensures that the XP firewall is turned off.

On the VISTA machine, set the network connection so that it is a HOME network. This will allow the XP machine to see your VISTA machine and and any share resources.

Hope this helps.

John M.

Detectorist
11-11-2008, 20:32
Sigh....

Once again. Type 'CMD' in the run box. Then type the ipconfig command. I'm sorry I wasn't clear.

I've tried running the ipconfig from the RUN command and all I get is a black box that opens and CLOSES very quickly with no results as far as I can tell. I also tried typing
ipconfig /all and get the same thing. When I try ipconfig/all without the space I get a message telling me "windows cannot find ipconfig/all and to make sure I typed the name correctly and try again."

Am I missing something?

Thanks

Nala