Worth a shot [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Worth a shot

johnhurd
11-11-2008, 16:24
Cable ISP into a Motorola Surfboard to a Ethernet hub, XP with a new NetGear card show Yellow on the adapter (and shows driver not installed) , lights blink on the card but cannot access the wizard to set the darn thing. Spent many hours installing and uninstalling .....anyone have a cure. The XP has never had a SP installed ,,,,hey it worked why mess with it, and besides it was a 12 hour DL on a 56K dialup. The Vista machine just plugged and played!!!!

Big Al 24
11-11-2008, 21:55
Cable ISP into a Motorola Surfboard to a Ethernet hub, XP with a new NetGear card show Yellow on the adapter (and shows driver not installed) , lights blink on the card but cannot access the wizard to set the darn thing. Spent many hours installing and uninstalling .....anyone have a cure. The XP has never had a SP installed ,,,,hey it worked why mess with it, and besides it was a 12 hour DL on a 56K dialup. The Vista machine just plugged and played!!!!

Where do I begin because you were a little vague. If your XP has never had a service pack installed and you connected it to broadband directly through your cable modem, your computer may have been attacked unless your cable modem and/or "hub" has a hardware firewall. Is your surfboard plugged into a router or a switch? If it is connected to a router make sure that mac address cloning is enabled so the router mimics your cable modem's mac address so your ISP knows who you are. If the surfboard is new (ISP didn't provide it), you may want to call them to let them know that you bought it and they will get the mac address and other information from you. So what is your hub, is it a router or a switch?

johnhurd
11-12-2008, 06:26
I have DSL on the vista machine thru the modem via a hub. I have the modem plugged into a linksys ethernet hub to get both machines on. The ISP already had the MAC to start the service .........

says Linksys 5 port Network Hub the modem is a SB5101