Computer death, Compaq Windows 98 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Computer death, Compaq Windows 98

larry_minn
11-12-2008, 10:49
Ok I realize my (responsibility) is to buy a new computer and stimulate the economy. Thing is I would rather buy some more ammo/take a training class on cold weather shooting. (cya now its gun related) :)

Problem. This old thing has worked well but the disk defragmenter got (lost) ??? Was running slower and slower. So I tried "Disk Cleanup" and it died. Couldn't even get it going in "safe mode" (about limit of my knowledge) So I dig thru computer stuff and find the "wipe the hard drive/reset orig settings/reboot computer/remove all your info disk"
I get that to load/run for half hr and now it (almost) works. I can (obviously) get online but few sites will work anymore. I can't even get to any updates which I know I need.
The current (problem) is I get a "internet syntax error" on every new screen/anytime info changes. Top header "Internet Explorer script error"
A (yield) sign with ! in it. "An error has occured with script on this page"
"line 7" "Char 2528" "Error Syntax error" "Code 0" Then on bottom "Do you want to continue running scripts on this page? Yes/No"

Anyone know how to get rid of that? (PITA to close it every time screen changes)

Once that gets fixed (I hope) anyone know of site where I can get basic updates or even the current update if it will work with basic win98? I can't access most search engines/my e-mail, many sites and microsoft all I could get was they don't support 98 after 2006 (with most of page not showing)
GT seems to work fine with only a few (strange) looking things. The quotes in replies the "box" goes all the way across the page but words stay in easy to read paragraphs.
Thanks for any help.

IndyGunFreak
11-12-2008, 13:01
Man, a computer that old... Have you considered possibly trying Linux?

IGF

srhoades
11-12-2008, 13:05
In internet explorer options there is a box that says something to the effect of notify me of every script error, uncheck it. You can still get the updates for Win98 (I did it from a fresh install in a virtual machine) you just need to download ie6 sp1 first.

d3athp3nguin
11-12-2008, 14:11
OH SNAPU!!

I remember in college helping an alumnus upgrade from windows 95 to windows 2000. This is in the year 2007 mind you.

Well, if it works it works I guess... but at that age I wouldn't trust the computer's hard drive. Hard drives are funny things- they can last 10 years, or 5, depending on a variety of circumstances (as well as luck). I stop trusting a HDD after about 5 years. Not that I don't use them for longer; I just don't put any critical "must have" data on them without a backup copy.

larry_minn
11-12-2008, 16:56
In internet explorer options there is a box that says something to the effect of notify me of every script error, uncheck it. You can still get the updates for Win98 (I did it from a fresh install in a virtual machine) you just need to download ie6 sp1 first.

Ok I went to View, Internet Options, Advanced and only "script" item I can find is a "Disable script debugging" Which did not help. :(
I then tried the defualt settings. No help...

Maybe I was not clear. I don't know much (if anything) about computers. Downloadingie6 sp1 first???? I don't have a clue what that is...
Anyone have link to site for updates as without search engine.... Tried microsoft and can't seem to find a update that works.

Sgt. Schultz
11-12-2008, 18:12
Your computer is finally dying so do the right thing and shoot it odds are very good that your hard drive has/is failing. Take a break from the range and buy a new computer.

You can find unofficial service packs to download; Google is your friend

http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Unofficial_Windows_98_SE_Service_Pack/1083536650/1

Big Al 24
11-12-2008, 18:15
I would post links to helpful sites, and possibly try to walk you through this, but I really think that it is time to upgrade. If I was telling you to upgrade a 2-4 year old computer it would be one thing, but in this case I think the safest bet is a new PC. I'm betting that most things in that PC are probably on their last leg with the first item of concern being the hard disk, and the PSU running a close second. How are you about physically maintaining your computer? Have you ever blown the components out with some dust-off or compressed air? When you open the case does it look like two cats had been fighting inside? Do you see fins on the processor heatsink, or does it look like a moldy mushroom? How does the PSU look through the intake/exhaust, can you see components inside? If you haven't been good about cleaning, then dump it like a hot potato. Electronics that are being suffocated are going to die if they haven't already. I'm not being a smart***, I just really need to know the depth of the problem here. Either way, a $400-$500 laptop would come with a warranty and probably a new OS among other things. I think it may be time for CHANGE!!! Yes You Can!!! :rofl:

d3athp3nguin
11-12-2008, 20:03
Listen to Big Al. Fork over a couple hundred bucks and upgrade. Even the most basic, "entry level" desktops that bestbuy offers will be packed with more power and features than you can shake a stick at, if you have been ok with using a 10 year old PC thus far.

These links may give you some help... I picked Bestbuy because there is likely one close to you, and some people don't like buying computers online. You might get better prices buying from www.newegg.com (http://www.newegg.com)

This is a last-generation budget PC that should handle what you need to do perfectly well. It comes with XP though, which is not going to receive any more patches or updates. ($200)
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9031683&type=product&id=1218010538925#tabbed-customerreviews

Entry-level Windows Vista machine; a little more "future proof" than the one above ($400):
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9022924&type=product&id=1218009475406

Small, quiet, trendy and cheap; runs XP. Made by the designers of the eee PC! Caution: designed for basic computing needs and does not come with internal CD-ROM drive ($300):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883220004

ZOOMZOOM! quad-core overkill behemoth that will eat your family if you don't keep it caged; budget price for the processor it has ($700):
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9032316&type=product&id=1218010533213

Some decent, budget-priced laptops:
Bestbuy laptops (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcat17080&type=page&qp=crootcategoryid%23%23-1%23%23-1%7E%7Eq70726f63657373696e6774696d653a3e313930302d30312d3031%7E%7Ecabcat0500000%23%230%23%2311a%7E%7 Ecabcat0502000%23%230%23%23o%7E%7Enf518%7C%7C4c657373207468616e2024373030&list=y&nrp=15&sc=abComputerSP&ks=960&usc=abcat0500000&sp=%2Bcurrentprice+skuid&list=y&iht=n&st=processingtime%3A%3E1900-01-01)

srhoades
11-12-2008, 20:34
Internet explorer 6 sp1

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1e1550cb-5e5d-48f5-b02b-20b602228de6&DisplayLang=en

then windows update will work

larry_minn
11-12-2008, 20:35
Personally I don't care for laptop computers. I tend to sit back with keyboard on my lap watching TV to my left while posting. (likely why posts don't flow) Thanks for link. Sad to say its another site I can't seem to access..... I open the window, close the error window and then it sticks. I can continue to post here/some others but not get the update ones.???? Or my hotmail.
My wife has a laptop (Dell) with windows XP/student thats about 5 yrs old. (never hooked into web) So we have a laptop in family.
If I do buy a new one I think I will get one that I can watch DVDs on. I wonder if I could download movies from TV?? I am on dial up and it takes half hr to download a (less then) 10 minute vidio clip.

mitchshrader
11-12-2008, 20:43
ya need a computer. i stopped even trying to deal with win98 a year before microsoft did, smartest computer decision i ever made.

your OS sucks. the hardware that supports it is years past upgrade time.

that's the good news. the bad new is, to upgrade the comp in this case means a different computer.

two main issues... don't upgrade too far meaning you can choose Win 2000 (including Server 2000) or XP Pro. I've got 5 boxen running 2K Server and couldn't be happier with stability and bang-buck performance. I think I rebooted this comp last month sometime, I do it several times a year, just for luck.

It's OC'd 15% over stock since new, and the biggest reason to have XP vs. Win2k IS Clearview, (and possibly remote troubleshooting, if you're insistent enough).

Both OS's, in any version, can be *carefully* tweaked for brisker performance.

I use *Xentweak* immediately after install to lock down security, disable unwanted features, and speed up access to the page file (virtual memory, emulated RAM, the part of your hard drive that catches overflow from RAM veeeeeery slowly unless you've set up everything correctly, and that's not common.

NO HELL NO do not keep Win 98. Rilly.

you can buy a used comp and probably be sorry later, but maybe not. might be a very smart move to build one for the fun of it, cause you can probably find parts for next-to-free if you ask around

mitchshrader
11-12-2008, 20:46
hard drive swapping is very economical if you fill them first..

larry_minn
11-12-2008, 21:33
Dang. Can't seem to load update pages/hotmail page and GT/others I have to close the "syntax error" every page. :( :(
I don't USE my computer for much more then internet/just starting online bill pay. (google now loads) :) I have used it as a info source/able to book flights,check on parts/shipping. (so overclocking is not a issue esp with dial up at 48k. :) :)
To download shows I miss/can't see due to Digital only signal and watch later on computer would be nice.
Right now I get GREAT pic on a digital channel/via converter box. 3 minutes later its frozen/no sound and no signal. I hate this conversion. Doubt it will get better. I can do auto search and two hrs later over half are "No signal" Guess I will buy another VCR to play movies I already have as they have hinted they will stop making them soon.

Actually I am lamenting not getting the DPMS upper from RGuns and 512 Eotech. :(

Blast
11-12-2008, 22:26
Have you tried the Internet Explorer repair? I too have WIN98.
Go to system information, then tools, then click Internet Explorer repair.
It will check Explorer and may give option to download an update if any files are corrupted or missing. If any are missing or damaged, it should bring up a box indicating that and ask if you would like to download required file/files.
I had some problems resulting from a near crash which caused damaged sectors. I got the damaged sectors isolated and restored system but still had Explorer problems. The internet repair option worked for me with a file download.
May or may not work for you. Depends on what exactly is wrong.

srhoades
11-12-2008, 23:16
Dang. Can't seem to load update pages/hotmail page and GT/others I have to close the "syntax error" every page. :( :(
I don't USE my computer for much more then internet/just starting online bill pay. (google now loads) :) I have used it as a info source/able to book flights,check on parts/shipping. (so overclocking is not a issue esp with dial up at 48k. :) :)
To download shows I miss/can't see due to Digital only signal and watch later on computer would be nice.
Right now I get GREAT pic on a digital channel/via converter box. 3 minutes later its frozen/no sound and no signal. I hate this conversion. Doubt it will get better. I can do auto search and two hrs later over half are "No signal" Guess I will buy another VCR to play movies I already have as they have hinted they will stop making them soon.

Actually I am lamenting not getting the DPMS upper from RGuns and 512 Eotech. :(

Did you install Internet Explorer 6 sp1 like I suggested?

havensal
11-13-2008, 13:06
Upgrade to XP, it will run on just about anything. :supergrin:

Big Al 24
11-13-2008, 17:43
I wasn't really limiting your upgrade to a laptop- there are cheap desktops as well. It's time...Honestly I'd rather dig out an old Nforce2 board and an Athlon XP from my closet, put it together, get it running, and ship it to you instead of trying to help fix it over the internets because it would be easier for everyone. If your really intent on trying to fix it you're going to need a working connection to download from and a decent amount of time to reinstall and apply all the updates and tweaks. If I'm going to do that for you, it's going to be here in my living room. :wavey:

And your internet connection has nothing to do with overclocking. You can OC a system that is not in a case sitting on top of a cardboard box- all OCing is is cranking up values and voltages to achieve a minor amount of system performance.

larry_minn
11-13-2008, 18:18
Well it seems I am less knowledgable then even I thought. (or those posting here didn't understand I just know how to type/simple stuff) Actually if I could access my hotmail I would be (ok) with having to clear a error screen every page. I have a brand new printer sitting next to my computer. (copy/scan/print/read camera card) that actually was listed as being compatable with Win 98 (thats almost a yr old) NIB :) :)
Maybe its more that I can't seem to get pages to load that I think I need. "Microsoft, I.E. trouble shooting," Google now works which helps. :)

So looks like I will check out Best Buy/CC/ rat Shack/etc. Any suggestions of a quality unit? I like a easy to see monitor I normally am @4' away from it. Hope to watch movies/if possible to download online shows.

srhoades
11-13-2008, 18:45
Uhhhh.... I gave you a link to the download, how much more simple do you need? Dow

larry_minn
11-13-2008, 20:03
Uhhhh.... I gave you a link to the download, how much more simple do you need? Dow

Thanks for trying. That was part of reason I finally decided I will have to buy new/have someone who can work "hands on" look at it. The link (kinda) works. I can see the left side but blue field is all garbage. The word "English" is the only one I can read. It won't even change pointer into (hand)
If I try one of the left side it locks up/asks about beta testing/won't go any further.

Thank you to everyone who tried to help. My lack of knowledge combined with inability to get to online sites pretty much doom this thing. (then again the upper I want is on back order)

srhoades
11-13-2008, 20:19
Thanks for trying. That was part of reason I finally decided I will have to buy new/have someone who can work "hands on" look at it. The link (kinda) works. I can see the left side but blue field is all garbage. The word "English" is the only one I can read. It won't even change pointer into (hand)
If I try one of the left side it locks up/asks about beta testing/won't go any further.

Thank you to everyone who tried to help. My lack of knowledge combined with inability to get to online sites pretty much doom this thing. (then again the upper I want is on back order)

Whatever computer your are using to post is working. Download the setup file from the link. Burn it to a disc, and then run it on the windows 98 computer.

larry_minn
11-14-2008, 17:03
Whatever computer your are using to post is working. Download the setup file from the link. Burn it to a disc, and then run it on the windows 98 computer.

Again thats the hoot. I am posting from "my" computer. GT and a couple other sites work fine (if you don't mind the syntax error screen you have to clear every page) But the adds/pics are limited. Text is fine.
BUT I go to Microsoft page (multiple attempts) and no joy.
Then after about a hr the screen looks like my TV thru a digital converter box. Blocks out of phase with others/jumbled to point you can't desipher it and I have to disconnect/shut down/restart. BTW the syntax error character number is changeing constantly. (just for grins) it seems.

As I said if I could access more (work/business) related sites I really wouldn't mind closing a error window every page.

Big Al 24
11-14-2008, 18:36
Go to bestbuy.com or newegg.com and look at desktop/laptops. If you can click on this link, it's newegg's collection of pc's available for $200-$300.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2032280010%204018&name=%24200%20-%20%24300

If nothing else, when you get your new pc home, you can use it to fix up the other one so you can use it or donate it to someone if it's still servicable. I know money is tight, however pc's don't get better or appreciate in value with age. Good Luck!