PC is totally hosed up - help please! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : PC is totally hosed up - help please!

Mr. Niceguy
11-12-2008, 16:23
Well, the downstairs computer, which is used by the wife & kids is apparently infected badly. The sysptoms are:

generally running like crap
homepage has been hijacked, and cannot be changed
can no longer access any of the anti-virus programs on the machine
any time an attempt is made to visit an anti-virus website, the page either comes up as "cannot display", or you get totally re-directed to an irrelevant page

This is really frustrating. Can anyone help please?!?!?!?!?!?!

Zonny
11-12-2008, 16:27
Can you run your Anti-virus program in Safe-Mode?

HerrGlock
11-12-2008, 16:29
Do you have another computer to download a floppy or CD based anti-virus program?

Are you savvy enough to take your hard drive out and put it into another computer as the secondary drive and scan it from the other computer?

Mr. Niceguy
11-12-2008, 16:31

I'll check - thanks!

Mr. Niceguy
11-12-2008, 16:32
Do you have another computer to download a floppy or CD based anti-virus program?

Are you savvy enough to take your hard drive out and put it into another computer as the secondary drive and scan it from the other computer?

yes to the first, and definitely NO to the second question!

Mr. Niceguy
11-12-2008, 16:32

It turns out that no, I can't.:crying::crying::crying:

sdglock22
11-12-2008, 16:33
You can try going to the website of your antivirus program, ie symantec and they usually have some way to scan your computer from the site. May or may not work, worth looking into tho.

Mr. Niceguy
11-12-2008, 16:39
You can try going to the website of your antivirus program, ie symantec and they usually have some way to scan your computer from the site. May or may not work, worth looking into tho.

You see, here's the rub. I can pretty much access any website that I want, unless it has to do with spyware, virus, or malware removal, or a forum discussing such matters. When I try to, it either does not find the page, or it re-directs me to some random website.

Hyksos
11-12-2008, 16:39
I don't know whats its worth, but if you ctrl+alt+del into task manager and look at your processes tab, theres a list of every program that is running on your computer right now.

It may be difficult to the untrained eye, but basically, look for any processes with really messed up names that don't seem normal....or even a blank name. These are the viruses running in the background and you can manually "end process" on every one you suspect is bad, and then hopefully can run a virus scan with the potential viruses disabled. If you reboot you must re-do this process...

ALSO:

Go to your start bar and click on Run, in the box that pops up type in msconfig just as its displayed there, one word, msconfig

The box that pops up has many tabs on the top, select the "startup" tab and it will show you every possible program that can start with your computer, disable them all if you have to, but again LOOK for any program name that seems weird...or has no name at all. Odds are, it's a virus.

Minskin85
11-12-2008, 16:52
this didnt help CJ but it might help you:
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11636904#post11636904

Historian
11-12-2008, 16:59
You see, here's the rub. I can pretty much access any website that I want, unless it has to do with spyware, virus, or malware removal, or a forum discussing such matters. When I try to, it either does not find the page, or it re-directs me to some random website.

Just for grins:

Try removing from Add/Remove software anything that looks odd or any freeware crap someone might have installed.

On the good PC use a thumb drive or a CD to get a copy of CCleaner or CW Shredder from someplace like download.com and while your add it...trying getting a copy of adaware or something like that.

Run these on the infected PC and see what they can rip out.

That might get you to the point where your antivirus might help.

Dragoon44
11-12-2008, 17:02
Save yourself a lot of useless effort and reformat and reinstall windows.

RonS
11-12-2008, 17:02
http://ask-leo.com/how_do_i_run_an_antivirus_scan_if_i_cant_boot.html

There is some advice here on how to make a CD on another pc, boot up using that CD and run an anti virus scan on the PC. Complicated, but you don't have an easy problem.

Good luck.

Historian
11-12-2008, 17:05
Something else to consider. Have them run under a User level account. Most people run as administrators and that gives crap-ware a real edge in infecting your machine. Least rights is what you're looking for.

At work I run as a power user on my PC. Then use Run As commands to run as an enterprise admin if needed to make things happen.

SaWuttae
11-12-2008, 17:11
"Save yourself a lot of useless effort and reformat and reinstall windows."

I second that.....a lot of the new spyware junk is really hard to completely remove, and will take much more time than reformatting. Save whatever important pictures documents you need to a thumb drive and wipe it.

Drilled
11-12-2008, 17:13
Install these and run them:
http://www.iobit.com/advancedwindowscareper.html?Str=download
http://www.iobit.com/avg-com.html#
free versions.
Install this:
http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/
free.
Buy this:
http://www.webroot.com/En_US/index.html

Use this Browser:
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

And if your kids are using the machine think twice about that.

GeorgeAtl
11-12-2008, 17:14
+1 What he said....

After all, you've got a backup of all essential files, right?
I thought so!!

dotsun
11-12-2008, 17:19

+ Do this like now. Nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure...

HerrGlock
11-12-2008, 17:19
Fdisk, format, reinstall
Windows, Windows...
(Sung to Camptown Races)

Elmer Fudd
11-12-2008, 17:32
I would recommend a zero fill of the hard drive and a reinstallation of Windows.

A zero fill utility is available on the hard drive manufacturers web site. Sometimes you have to search for it. This is a low level format that writes a zero to every bit (?) on the drive. This is the state that a new drive comes from the factory, and is the only way to be sure you completely wipe the drive. A high level format will not do this.

If you don't have a backup of the wife's or kid's stuff, tell them too bad. A painful lesson for them on computer security. If your wife did any banking on that computer I would change your logins and passwords.

Big Al 24
11-12-2008, 19:29
Fdisk, format, reinstall
Windows, Windows...
(Sung to Camptown Races)

They all said it best. The only thing that hasn't been said, is please take that machine off the internet ASAP- you don't know what it's doing. If possible, get someone with a clean machine to burn you the windows service packs which your disks may be missing and get the machine updated and virus protected before connecting to the internet. There are a few excellent virus/spyware removers that are free AVG, AVIRA, AVAST, and others.

Mr. Niceguy
11-12-2008, 19:40
They all said it best. The only thing that hasn't been said, is please take that machine off the internet ASAP- you don't know what it's doing. If possible, get someone with a clean machine to burn you the windows service packs which your disks may be missing and get the machine updated and virus protected before connecting to the internet. There are a few excellent virus/spyware removers that are free AVG, AVIRA, AVAST, and others.

Yes, it's long since been disconnected from my LAN.

I appreciate everone's advice. I'm spending the rest of the evening doing less stressful activities - will check back in in the morning.:tequila:

grokdesigns
11-12-2008, 20:36
http://grokdesigns.com/kb/index.php/article/spyware-removal

Bronson7
11-13-2008, 08:00
Dang!!!! Ah, Er, Did you try a Restore? If that doesn't work, try a repair install.
Bronson7

Mr. Niceguy
11-13-2008, 09:57
Well, I downloaded malwarebytes, adaware, spybot, and ccleaner to a cd on my laptop, and am in the process of running them on the infected pc. Seems to be making progress. Thanks for your suggestions!

IndyGunFreak
11-13-2008, 12:34

Yup... You'll spend hours trying to rid yourself of this mess, and have a small chance of success... Do the sure thing that will fix the problem.

IGF

Smokin23
11-13-2008, 12:37

This is the correct answer Bob.

Bronson7
11-13-2008, 13:24
Yup... You'll spend hours trying to rid yourself of this mess, and have a small chance of success... Do the sure thing that will fix the problem.

IGF
Indy, doesn't take much time or effort to run a restore. I'd go back to before he had all those problems and try a restore. At worst he'll have to do a format/re-install. If it fixes it, he'll just have to re-load some win updates and any apps he loaded since.
Bronson

Big Al 24
11-13-2008, 18:57
Image new, solid, OS installs and backup frequently and you will always be happier if something bad happens.

IndyGunFreak
11-13-2008, 18:59
Indy, doesn't take much time or effort to run a restore. I'd go back to before he had all those problems and try a restore. At worst he'll have to do a format/re-install. If it fixes it, he'll just have to re-load some win updates and any apps he loaded since.
Bronson

If he has a restore point.. I admit I never do.

IGF

G22owner
11-14-2008, 01:24
Get everything cleaned up as much as you can with utilities, then click Start -> Run and type in: sfc /scannow and hit enter. It will restore all of your system files to "as installed" condition. You may need to reinstall some applications, Windows updates, etc., but you'll be virus/malware free, and may very well be able to salvage your installation.

Mr. Niceguy
11-14-2008, 11:48
Thanks for everyone's advice! Wife & kids are telling me the machine is running faster now than it has in a long while.

solomansousana
11-15-2008, 13:56
Best bet is to remove it from the internet, then do a complete reinstall of the OS, and install a very good internet security suite. I have my computers behind two firewalls, a hardware firewall and an alphashield, I also sign into my comp on a guest acct if im going online so as to help prevent downloads.