Ubuntu 8.10 smooooth! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 8.10 smooooth!

lee2
11-14-2008, 22:46
just installed Ubuntu 8.10 on an hp nc4010 laptop.
no issues. even picked up the wireless card with no problems.
so far so good! :cool:

Norman
11-14-2008, 23:00
Heard of Ubuntu, but what is it?

The Pontificator
11-14-2008, 23:46
Heard of Ubuntu, but what is it?

http://www.ubuntu.com/

Norman
11-15-2008, 00:15
What's it like compared to Windows?

denfoote
11-15-2008, 04:00
What's it like compared to Windows?

It's faster, safer, and far less bloated than Windoze!!
I'm using it as we speak!!

It's different than Winduz, but not that much.
There's a learning curve involved.
It took me about 2 weeks ubefore I learned where everything was and what the new terms meant.

I still have not learned the language enough to operate the command line terminal!!! But Ubuntu has a graphical interface just like the Gatesian abomination.

http://usera.ImageCave.com/denfoote/Misc_Pictures/nazi-microsoft.gif

http://usera.ImageCave.com/denfoote/Misc_Pictures/WindowsSucksTUX.jpg

Norman
11-15-2008, 06:07
It's faster, safer, and far less bloated than Windoze!!
I'm using it as we speak!!

It's different than Winduz, but not that much.
There's a learning curve involved.
It took me about 2 weeks ubefore I learned where everything was and what the new terms meant.

I still have not learned the language enough to operate the command line terminal!!! But Ubuntu has a graphical interface just like the Gatesian abomination.

And have you had issues with software compatibility? I mean, most EVERY thing nowadays is made for Windows, or Mac. Games, office software, you name it. Is there a way to get by this? What do you do?

d3athp3nguin
11-15-2008, 06:25
And have you had issues with software compatibility? I mean, most EVERY thing nowadays is made for Windows, or Mac. Games, office software, you name it. Is there a way to get by this? What do you do?

You can run Windows-only software in a Virtual Machine.

-Take an old copy of Windows you have lying around
-Install Vmware or VirtualBox (Virtual Machine software- lets you run another OS inside an OS, like running a Windows "machine" in Linux)
-install Windows in a virtual machine, and run your needed apps like Office or windows-exclusive stuff inside the virtual machine (it looks like you're running Windows in a window... pretty ironic)

Note that VM software does not work with games.

Personally, I partitioned my hard drive in half, and left Vista on one partition and installed Linux on the other. When you are setting up Linux, it will detect that Windows is installed and set up a boot menu for you, so you can pick what OS to run when you boot. I use Linux 95% of the time, and when I absolutely have to play a windows-only game, I boot to windows.

IndyGunFreak
11-15-2008, 06:39

-Install Vmware or VirtualBox (Virtual Machine software- lets you run another OS inside an OS, like running a Windows "machine" in Linux)
-install Windows in a virtual machine, and run your needed apps like Office or windows-exclusive stuff inside the virtual machine (it looks like you're running Windows in a window... pretty ironic)

I personally hate virtualbox/vmware... I find them slow, even on my new PC

In my opinion, the best solution, is to Dual boot Linux and Windows, learn Linux, and find Linux alternatives for what you want to do, then when you're ready, put the kabosh on Windows. Most peoples problem when learning Linux, is that they can't understand Linux is not Windows. There is almost nothing that is similar between them. Using Linux apps, to try and do things the Windows way, makes little sense to me (unless there is no other option). Just because it works in Linux(ie, hardware), doesn't mean its going to work in Linux w/o some work. Nothing against denfoote, but do a search of some of his posts here and some of the problems he had getting going.... Hell do a search of some of my posts here(if they go back that far)

Download a Live CD, burn it to a disk, and boot it... It will let you try Linux w/o making any changes to your computer... http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

or if you don't want to burn a CD, and have a thumb drive laying around and your PC can boot a thumb drive (at least 1gig), you can use Unetbootin to set up and run off a thumb drive.

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Both of the above, you can do w/o making changes to your computer, so its a great way to try Linux, and see what hardware works, what doesn't work, etc. If something doesn't work, you simply reboot, remove the USB drive or CD, and you're right back to Windows like nothing ever happened. Then just use Windows to try and research the problem and see if there's a fix or if you're Internet connection is working properly under the Live version, you can search the problem directly from Linux.

I used to have a very good link to a site w/ Linux alternatives to Windows apps, but it looks like its either down or no longer available... Here's another site, I've not been completely through it, but you can take a look at it... What Windows apps are you thinking you absolutely need? Most Linux applications are held in repositories, and are free to download and install, but there's a few out there tat cost money.. The ones that do cost money, you can almost guarantee there's a free alternative somewhere.

http://www.linuxalt.com/

IGF

Bill Lumberg
11-15-2008, 07:09
When I saw the thread title, I thought I was looking at a 2016 presidential campaign slogan. That said, the only thing scarier than Vista is me doing command line tweaking.

denfoote
11-15-2008, 14:18

Personally, I partitioned my hard drive in half, and left Vista on one partition and installed Linux on the other. When you are setting up Linux, it will detect that Windows is installed and set up a boot menu for you, so you can pick what OS to run when you boot. I use Linux 95% of the time, and when I absolutely have to play a windows-only game, I boot to windows.

Ubuntu has an option to run within Windows.
I'm running a dual boot.
The only thing I've found is my ISP e-mail works not in Linux.
That's because mine uses Windows Live mail!!
I'm begining the switch over to Gmail!!

IndyGunFreak
11-15-2008, 14:58
When I saw the thread title, I thought I was looking at a 2016 presidential campaign slogan. That said, the only thing scarier than Vista is me doing command line tweaking.

Honestly, if you use one of the "modern" distributions that are designed to be user friendly(Any of the Ubuntu's, PCLinuxOS, Suse and a few others), you don't really have to use the command line, unless you want to. Even some of the more complex distributions, require very little use of the command line, again, unless you want to use it.

Big Al 24
11-15-2008, 15:30
One of the many nice things about the command line is that when you have to fix something or try something out all you usually have to do is cut/paste the commands in after you search them out on the web. If you keep some text files around that have things you have done copied in them, you'll end up with a nice reference library that will be useful in the future.

IndyGunFreak
11-15-2008, 15:43
One of the many nice things about the command line is that when you have to fix something or try something out all you usually have to do is cut/paste the commands in after you search them out on the web. If you keep some text files around that have things you have done copied in them, you'll end up with a nice reference library that will be useful in the future.

Another thing I like about command line... If you're having a program that is inexplicably crashing for some reason.. Start it in command line, and use it till it crashes. When it crashes, check the terminal window, and the error will be there.

IGF

Big Al 24
11-15-2008, 19:07
Another thing I like about command line... If you're having a program that is inexplicably crashing for some reason.. Start it in command line, and use it till it crashes. When it crashes, check the terminal window, and the error will be there.

IGF

+1 And if you can type at 80+ wpm it's a lot faster than mousing.

SIGSAREBETTER
11-16-2008, 02:01
I'm always happy to see more of my Linux breathren....I'm running Debian on my iMac. I simply could not imagine ever going back to Windows.

glockophilic
11-16-2008, 16:11
and for my millionth ditro try I chose Mint. And it tasted good.

IndyGunFreak
11-16-2008, 16:37
and for my millionth ditro try I chose Mint. And it tasted good.

Mint is nice... No real difference in it and Ubuntu... its main advantage(at least in the past), was that it had all the multimedia codecs installed out of the box... Now w/ Ubuntu, installing those codecs takes about 20sec, so the point is kinda moot.

IGF

duncan
11-18-2008, 13:47
Love my Ubuntu - just hooked up my BIL who is a desktop/network guy with Ubunut and Xubuntu!