Lapto Battery Question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Lapto Battery Question

bocephus549
11-15-2008, 10:06
I just installed a new 9 cell battery in my Dell Inspiron 1501. I have a few questions.

1. Do I need to break in the battery in a special way?

2. Will leaving the laptop on AC power for extended periods hurt the life of the battery?

3. Should I drain the battery completely before re charging?

Thanks

solomansousana
11-15-2008, 13:48
I have 2 Dell laptops, an HP and a Toshiba and an IBM/Lenovo. I generally let the battery drain completely at least once a month then do a full recharge, otherwise I just put them in their respective docks and keep em charged up. The battery's today don't have the "memory" imprint problems the batteries of yesteryear had.

The Pontificator
11-15-2008, 14:09
The battery's today don't have the "memory" imprint problems the batteries of yesteryear had.

What he said.

bocephus549
11-15-2008, 15:42
So to make sure I understand. I can run it down to 50% and charge it back up with no ill effects? Just run it all the way down about once a month.

Thanks for the above replies.

solomansousana
11-15-2008, 17:10
Exactly. I'm an RN, I work in an Emergency Room as well as a roving RN and I've carried my "business" laptop, a Toshiba that I carry around with me, mostly plugging it in when I need to use it but when I get home the battery can be at 44% charge remaining and I'll recharge it, and it's been this way for 2.5 years now with no problems. The same with the others. Once a month I make it a point to turn the laptops on until they autoshutdown before the battery dies, then I'll let them recharge overnight.

It's like, years ago when I purchased my HP digital cam, my very first one, it was a 3.2mp camera and I went and purchased AA niCad battery's for recharging to save money. After about 6 months I noticed that the battery's didn't retain their charge nearly as long. When I called the manufacturer, they explained that battery's had "memory" and if you recharged them halfway down they'd remember that and always go down halfway. Battery's now are "smart". My gun camera is an HP 717 with a lithium ion battery that has been recharged now for nearly 2 years without any signs of losing it's effectiveness.

These days, when you charge your laptop battery, it will recharge until it doesn't need any further charge, then it'll stop, and it will go into caretaker status, my language lol, meaning, when it needs charging, it'll trickle a charge, otherwise, it won't over charge.

When I purchase the Toshiba, on a full battery, I had exactly 2hrs13min before the battery ran down, and today, after posting here earlier, I pulled it out and checked and it told me I had a charge of 2hr13min before running down.

Detectorist
11-15-2008, 21:47
I just installed a new 9 cell battery in my Dell Inspiron 1501. I have a few questions.

2. Will leaving the laptop on AC power for extended periods hurt the life of the battery?

Thanks

I used to be a support contractor for Dell. Supported their business customers. Here's my opinion:

1. It's recomended that the first charge be at least 5-10 hours.

2. Yes. It will shorten the battery life. When using the laptop as a desktop just remove the battery if it's fully charged. You can get up to 2 years more service out of it by doing that.

3 No need to. Maybe do it once a month or every 2 months, just in case.

Generalcarry
11-16-2008, 10:33
...When using the laptop as a desktop just remove the battery if it's fully charged. You can get up to 2 years more service out of it by doing that.

Thanks, never knew that! We only use the wife's notebook for travel a couple times a year and she uses it daily. I'll remove the battery from now on.

podwich
11-16-2008, 11:39

Thanks

The Li-ion batteries don't like being in a full-charge state and they don't like lots of heat. They last longest at a partial-charge and cool temperatures. I have my laptop set up to only charge when the battery drops below 60%. Otherwise, it just sits there and is not charged when on AC power. Removing it does just as well, if not better. You just don't have the battery there if you lose AC power.

Draining the battery prior to recharge is only useful for resetting the "fuel gauge". It serves no other purpose for Li-ion batteries. You really don't have to do this very often- once a month is still probably overkill.

bocephus549
11-16-2008, 14:47
The Li-ion batteries don't like being in a full-charge state and they don't like lots of heat. They last longest at a partial-charge and cool temperatures. I have my laptop set up to only charge when the battery drops below 60%. Otherwise, it just sits there and is not charged when on AC power. Removing it does just as well, if not better. You just don't have the battery there if you lose AC power.

Draining the battery prior to recharge is only useful for resetting the "fuel gauge". It serves no other purpose for Li-ion batteries. You really don't have to do this very often- once a month is still probably overkill.

Do all laptops have the option to only charge when below 60%? If so where do you find the settings.

podwich
11-20-2008, 21:54
Do all laptops have the option to only charge when below 60%? If so where do you find the settings.

Not sure on that one. I access mine through the Thinkpad power manager. I'm not sure what Dell uses. You could try seeing what's there by going to Power Options in the Control Panel and seeing if they have something there.