Visit with the Ortho today. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Visit with the Ortho today.

Eyescream
11-17-2008, 18:15
As a followup to this thread (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=935799), I saw an orthopedist this afternoon. He said it was either tendonitis or a SLAP lesion, and shot my shoulder full of cortisone.

Told me to rest this week, then go back and try it out and see how things felt. If it's not any better, he said we'd shoot an MRI and see how things look, then decide if I need surgery to repair anything.

:rant:

California Jack
11-17-2008, 18:37
Good luck pal. I'm hoping the cortisone works.

Eyescream
11-17-2008, 20:23
Good luck pal. I'm hoping the cortisone works.

Thanks man. I do too; but with my luck in mind, I've already mentally prepared myself for surgery. I talked to the doctor about planning it around my tattoos as best he can while I was there today. :supergrin:

Currently my arm feels like it's got a 10lb weight strapped to it. :rofl:

proactive
11-17-2008, 21:57
Wishing you the best, ES. I fear the scalpel like the boogeyman.

NoGo
11-19-2008, 09:10
Give the steroid a chance, it works over hours to days, and the results go for days to forever (hopefully).

Start researching RTC rehab exercises, come up with your plan and follow it. Don't screw up a good thing by re injuring a partially healed injury by going too hard-too soon.

If you end up going under the knife or scope for a SLAP repair, shop around for a Sports Minded Orthopod that offers references from shoulder sports athletes.

Eyescream
11-19-2008, 21:35
Give the steroid a chance, it works over hours to days, and the results go for days to forever (hopefully).

Start researching RTC rehab exercises, come up with your plan and follow it. Don't screw up a good thing by re injuring a partially healed injury by going too hard-too soon.

If you end up going under the knife or scope for a SLAP repair, shop around for a Sports Minded Orthopod that offers references from shoulder sports athletes.

Yeah, I'm not giving up on it yet, but I've prepared myself for the eventuality that I'll have to get scoped. When I talked to the orthopod, I told him my expectations for a repair (also that I'd want him to take due care in not screwing my tattoos up, lol), and we had a good talk. He's the same guy that did my dad's shoulder (which was a pretty major repair, involving repairing tears in the medial deltoid and biceps), and his work's pretty good stuff.

BCR
11-22-2008, 11:18
Sorry Eyescream, I missed this thread.

Best of luck.

I personally put off surgery at all costs, which might not be smart.

Eyescream
11-22-2008, 11:25
Sorry Eyescream, I missed this thread.

Best of luck.

I personally put off surgery at all costs, which might not be smart.

I've not lifted anything since I went to the doctor on Monday, and just sitting here typing on my laptop I feel a deep-down soreness in the joint.

I've scheduled an MRI this coming Tuesday so the doctor and I can see how things look in there and we can make an informed decision. I'm doing everything I can to make sure I'm not jumping off a cliff here, but it looks like I'm gonna be celebrating christmas in a sling.

:rant:

California Jack
11-22-2008, 14:05
Sorry to hear that my friend. I guess that if there is a bright side, it is that the sooner you get it taken care of, the sooner you'll be back in action. Take care of yourself.

Eyescream
11-22-2008, 17:24
Sorry to hear that my friend. I guess that if there is a bright side, it is that the sooner you get it taken care of, the sooner you'll be back in action. Take care of yourself.

No worries, Jack; and you're right.

I wish I hadn't put the visit off as long as I had, but I really hoped it was just a muscle tear or tendonitis and I could work it out. It was worth a shot. :supergrin:

DBradD
11-22-2008, 18:27
Hang in there dude.

Eyescream
11-22-2008, 19:13
It's all good. Thanks man. :supergrin:

Eyescream
12-08-2008, 22:28
Followup:

Had an MRI last week and read the shots with the ortho today. Surgery will not be required, as nothing's torn. His diagnosis is tendinosis from overuse, and I got another shot of cortisone.

My guess is that the frequency with which I was doing things (basically an ABAB workout schedule) caused it.

So I'm gonna changed things up to not do that anymore, continue to rest my shoulder and ice it and stuff like that. I'm gonna call about getting a script for ultrasound therapy on it tomorrow something I forgot to do today).

DBradD
12-09-2008, 06:44
Good news--that's cool. Sounds like you might be like me. My joints always control how much work I can do. I think I've made the mistake over the last few months of focusing on too few exercises, so I've made an effort lately to expand the types of workouts I do. Might be something to consider for you also--not just keep grinding the same joints down in teh same manner.

Eyescream
12-09-2008, 16:38
Good news--that's cool. Sounds like you might be like me. My joints always control how much work I can do. I think I've made the mistake over the last few months of focusing on too few exercises, so I've made an effort lately to expand the types of workouts I do. Might be something to consider for you also--not just keep grinding the same joints down in teh same manner.

That's basically the conclusion I came to after talking with the doctor yesterday. I'm still gonna make the compound lifts a focus of my workouts, but I'm gonna be a little smarter with how I set things up so that there's no so much overlap from day to day.

I have an order for and ultrasound therapy series on the shoulder that I'm gonna get scheduled tomorrow and see if that helps set things right.

It feels like it's full of Elmer's Glue-All after getting that shot last night. :rofl: I'm icing it right now. Arg.