Shipping firearms from VA. ??? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Shipping firearms from VA. ???

williamN
11-17-2008, 18:37
I was told by UPS ( main HUB ) that I could not ship a firearm ( rifle ) to a dealer unless if it was for repair only. I told them I sold it and the dealer was accepting the firearm. They said no

Does VA law say an individual can only ship for repair and not transfer?

Olivers_AR
11-18-2008, 14:47
From the UPS site: You may have to talk to someone in corporate that is familiar with firearms shipments and have the local hub contact them.

Shipping Firearms

Special Procedures for Shipping Firearms

Use These UPS Services for Your Firearm Shipment
UPS accepts packages containing firearms, as defined by Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United States Code, for transportation from and between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, and licensed collectors, as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code, law enforcement agencies of the United States (or of any department or agency of the United States) and law enforcement agencies of any state or department agency (or political subdivision of any state), and from and between persons not otherwise prohibited from shipping firearms by federal, state or local law and when such shipment complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws applicable to the shipper, recipient and package.

No VA law, per se, its UPS not knowing thier policy.

I was told by UPS ( main HUB ) that I could not ship a firearm ( rifle ) to a dealer unless if it was for repair only. I told them I sold it and the dealer was accepting the firearm. They said no

utah
11-18-2008, 15:37

Go to the post office, I NEVER use UPS

1*45
11-18-2008, 17:42
Dont use the post office unless you are a FFL holder. If they xray or inspect, you will probably be prosecuted. as i understand the postal regulations. be careful.

Olivers_AR
11-18-2008, 20:33
+1 on not using the USPS unless you are an FFL.

FedEx is another choice, but the counter people might not be up on all the regs, but the corporate office does know.

You will most likely have to pay overnight rates (UPS. FedEx, etc.) to meet the regulations.

I also would check with the dealer, they should be able to walk you thru the procedure.

utah
11-19-2008, 06:53
Since he's shipping a rifle you do not need a FFL, this has been beat too death everywhere on the net.

ATF FAQ:

(B7) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?[Back]

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

(B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier? [Back]

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

williamN
11-19-2008, 16:03
The employee said it was a VA. state law that a non ffl could only ship for repairs not for sale even to a FFL.

utah
11-19-2008, 16:51
The employee said it was a VA. state law that a non ffl could only ship for repairs not for sale even to a FFL.

Employee doesn't know what their talking about, nothing in the VA law about shipping a rifle. Go to another Post Office if you can, if not then then ask for their supervisor, if that doesn't work your SOL.

Spike32
11-19-2008, 18:08
Shipping falls under federal law (interstate commerce), not state law. I would not identify the package as a gun, unless you want it stolen, especially with UPS or FedEx.