Hard Drive Question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive Question

Nicky D
11-18-2008, 18:46
I built a computer back in the spring, well I am doing it again to replace the previously replaced computer. My question is whether or not I can remove the second hard drive from my current computer and put into my new one that I am building.

The 2nd drive is just storage not master. The system that it is in is running Vista Ultimate 64bit just like the one I am going to build. If I can do it great if not no big deal, this only has my pictures on it and worse case scenario I can transfer from pc to pc once everything is networked but I figure this would save a boatload of time. Transferring several GB of photos takes a long time.

IndyGunFreak
11-18-2008, 19:05
I built a computer back in the spring, well I am doing it again to replace the previously replaced computer. My question is whether or not I can remove the second hard drive from my current computer and put into my new one that I am building.

The 2nd drive is just storage not master. The system that it is in is running Vista Ultimate 64bit just like the one I am going to build. If I can do it great if not no big deal, this only has my pictures on it and worse case scenario I can transfer from pc to pc once everything is networked but I figure this would save a boatload of time. Transferring several GB of photos takes a long time.

I don't see why you couldn't. If the drive is IDE, and the new motherboard has an IDE slot, or if its SATA, it has a free SATA port, I don't see why you couldn't, especially if its just a data drive.

IGF

DoubleWide
11-18-2008, 19:47

Since the drive is just storage, 2 things matter
1. format (Fat32, NTFS, etc)
2. connection (IDE, SATA)

You're building a similar computer so no problem on either.

For others, if it's a master drive with the OS (Windows, etc.), the drivers for the motherboard, sound, video, etc. will be different. You're better off wiping the drive and reinstalling the OS, but it can work. It just won't run at its best.

Blitzer
11-18-2008, 21:04
Since the drive is just storage, 2 things matter
1. format (Fat32, NTFS, etc)
2. connection (IDE, SATA)

You're building a similar computer so no problem on either.

For others, if it's a master drive with the OS (Windows, etc.), the drivers for the motherboard, sound, video, etc. will be different. You're better off wiping the drive and reinstalling the OS, but it can work. It just won't run at its best.

Ditto+

Nicky D
11-19-2008, 03:58
Thanks, I figured it would be ok, just wanted to check.