Ethernet Cable Question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ethernet Cable Question

Nicky D
11-18-2008, 19:49
I am building another computer to replace a really old one. The old one I am going to put in my daughter's room. My question is can I run ethernet cable outside, up the side of the house to her room just like the cable service.

I have a wired network and do not really want to spend the money to go wireless and of course there is no easy way to run the cable from the basement where the router is to her room. Just curious if the cable can handle the environment.

IndyGunFreak
11-18-2008, 20:03
Surely there's gotta be something easier than that... You say you're on a basement, can you not just drill a hole in the floor behind her computer, and hook up there? Somehow I don't think Cat6 would hold up well to the elements... Plus, if you start drilling holes, to get the cable outside, etc, you're gonna lose heat in the winter, etc.

Do you have like a closet or something in her room, where you can bring the cable up, then run it under the carpet or something. I've ran quite a few wired networks for friends, etc, and on basements, its very easy, not even hard w/ crawl spaces if you can get in there...

Do you by chance have like an attic chase, or something?..

I'd look for a better idea, but it "might" work.

IGF

Ranger375
11-18-2008, 20:10
It will take the environment but I would sure try to find another way to keep it inside. The jacketing on most RJ45 cabling is more suited to inside. There is jacketing that is for commercial use that is much more suited for extreme conditions.

Olivers_AR
11-18-2008, 20:41
I'd wait until black Friday, I got wireless network setups for <$40 two years ago.

I would ask any IT guy or geek, they probably have an extra setup in the spare parts box. Trade them some ammo for it :cool:

dotsun
11-18-2008, 20:47
I actually buried about 100 feet of cat5 at my old house to get ethernet out to the 'garage'. It worked fine for years that way. In fact I grabbed the end of it, yanked it out of the ground and took it with me when I moved. That stuff is way more resilient than many think. :)

Tazisland
11-18-2008, 21:36
Yes, the cable can handle the conditions as long as it is not spliced. Be careful when tacking the cables to the outside, crimps can slow down any Cat-5 standard cable. If not in a raceway, you may have to use plenum cables, depending on local fire codes. Plenum cable has a fire resistance and a low smoke PVC content, which makes it less lethal if it does burn. Plenum is a lot more expensive, but worth it.

You could try this with cheap standard Cat-5 before you tack it down or buy plenum. There is also a method of using your electrical outlets but I have not tried (and have doubts about) this.

If you have a tech in your company, he/she can probably find some excess Cat-5 and attach the RJ-45 connectors for you for nothing.

Blitzer
11-18-2008, 22:03
Probe an inside wall that runs from floor to floor like a bathroom or closet space, it might provide a pathway.

noway
11-18-2008, 22:37
Have you looked at a FO-Rj45 transceiver?

this would be better on alot of levels;

1> it's requires a cheap fiber

2> distance could be upto 600m or more

3> no lighting or electrical conductivity

4> would be the right thing todo.

Nicky D
11-19-2008, 05:10
Surely there's gotta be something easier than that... You say you're on a basement, can you not just drill a hole in the floor behind her computer, and hook up there? Somehow I don't think Cat6 would hold up well to the elements... Plus, if you start drilling holes, to get the cable outside, etc, you're gonna lose heat in the winter, etc.

Do you have like a closet or something in her room, where you can bring the cable up, then run it under the carpet or something. I've ran quite a few wired networks for friends, etc, and on basements, its very easy, not even hard w/ crawl spaces if you can get in there...

Do you by chance have like an attic chase, or something?..

I'd look for a better idea, but it "might" work.

IGF

Indy, believe it or not this would be easier then pulling baseboards out to see if I can drop the line down from floor to floor, at least the way I see it. As far as putting a hole to run it outside, I see no difference than the hole that is already in her room for a cable feed, I would just make this larger and the reseal it up.

I actually buried about 100 feet of cat5 at my old house to get ethernet out to the 'garage'. It worked fine for years that way. In fact I grabbed the end of it, yanked it out of the ground and took it with me when I moved. That stuff is way more resilient than many think. :)

That is good to know, if it can withstand being buried under ground then it should hold up fun zip tied along the cable line running up the side of the house.

Yes, the cable can handle the conditions as long as it is not spliced. Be careful when tacking the cables to the outside, crimps can slow down any Cat-5 standard cable. If not in a raceway, you may have to use plenum cables, depending on local fire codes. Plenum cable has a fire resistance and a low smoke PVC content, which makes it less lethal if it does burn. Plenum is a lot more expensive, but worth it.

You could try this with cheap standard Cat-5 before you tack it down or buy plenum. There is also a method of using your electrical outlets but I have not tried (and have doubts about) this.

If you have a tech in your company, he/she can probably find some excess Cat-5 and attach the RJ-45 connectors for you for nothing.

I have a box of Cat5, so no splices needed. I have run plenty of cat 5 from the basement to the living room and made the connections, that is not a problem, thankfully. I was planning on zip tieing the cat5 to the rg6 that is running into her room already.

IndyGunFreak
11-19-2008, 05:30
The only time I ever ran Cat6 under ground, I put it inside CPVC. It was cheap and gave me peace of mind that some critter wasn't gonna have a snack on my ethernet cable...

Hope you figure out a solution, I just can't imagine thats the best way to do this...

IGF

dotsun
11-19-2008, 05:56
The only time I ever ran Cat6 under ground, I put it inside CPVC. It was cheap and gave me peace of mind that some critter wasn't gonna have a snack on my ethernet cable...

Hope you figure out a solution, I just can't imagine thats the best way to do this...

IGF

Yeah, being a cheap and profoundly lazy bastard like myself helps one discover the true limits of material design. I get it from my dad who seemed to think that every gutter on the house needed coax cable attached to it. :rofl:

Big Al 24
11-19-2008, 17:39
My cousin uses a powerline network adapter that goes through the electrical outlets and he says it works fine. My friend, his girlfriend, and I used a 5lb miniature yorkie following a laser pointer to run cat 5 through the crawlspace under his house. We just tied the cable to his collar and since the laser dot is like cocaine for him, he really moved quickly. We stood at the crawspace access panel outside his house and pointed the laser, and his girlfriend grabbed him when he would appear under the vents in the floor. I've heard of electricians using ferrets for similar operations.

MikeG22
11-19-2008, 19:23
I bet you'll be just fine. Worst case you have to re-run it in 5 years. Don't sweat it.

pmcjury
11-19-2008, 20:59
well this might not be as cheap as a chunk of cat5 but gives you network through the entire house without having to tear the house apart, its a neat idea, just stick with one company, there are two standards for this and they don't play night together

http://www.netgear.com/Solutions/HomeNetworking/PowerlineNetworking.aspx

Nicky D
11-20-2008, 05:09
My cousin uses a powerline network adapter that goes through the electrical outlets and he says it works fine. My friend, his girlfriend, and I used a 5lb miniature yorkie following a laser pointer to run cat 5 through the crawlspace under his house. We just tied the cable to his collar and since the laser dot is like cocaine for him, he really moved quickly. We stood at the crawspace access panel outside his house and pointed the laser, and his girlfriend grabbed him when he would appear under the vents in the floor. I've heard of electricians using ferrets for similar operations.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Nicky D
11-20-2008, 05:12
well this might not be as cheap as a chunk of cat5 but gives you network through the entire house without having to tear the house apart, its a neat idea, just stick with one company, there are two standards for this and they don't play night together

http://www.netgear.com/Solutions/HomeNetworking/PowerlineNetworking.aspx

This is intersting, I will have to look into this in the future, thanks.

Jdog
11-20-2008, 05:16
Not all cabling products are the same. There are many different types of CAT6 available. There's a weatherproof anti-corosive type called plenum for a little bit more $ that's suitable to your task. Just call up your closest Graybar warehouse and ask for datacom sales. The salesman will hook you up w/the right stuff.

gwalchmai
11-20-2008, 09:43
My friend, his girlfriend, and I used a 5lb miniature yorkie following a laser pointer to run cat 5 through the crawlspace under his house. We just tied the cable to his collar and since the laser dot is like cocaine for him, he really moved quickly. We stood at the crawspace access panel outside his house and pointed the laser, and his girlfriend grabbed him when he would appear under the vents in the floor. I've heard of electricians using ferrets for similar operations.Brilliant! :bowdown:

Big Al 24
11-21-2008, 16:38
The idea came to me when I learned that my friend's Yorkie has a crack-like addiction to the laser, and I'd heard about the ferret trick from an electrician. When you turn the beam off, he just sits there shaking and growling and staring at the floor in the last place he saw the dot. My friend won't buy a laser for just this reason- so when I come over my key chain becomes his special treat. I suggested just leaving it on until he gets worn out on it, but with dogs (not so much with smarter felines) they never seem to lose interest. We strapped the laser to the collar of his friends lab and the dog kept charging into walls and furniture. It is extremely funny but I think a prolonged session could be deemed "abusive" because it truly is pathetic how much power the little dot has over dogs.

StarfoxHowl
11-25-2008, 04:02
I am building another computer to replace a really old one. The old one I am going to put in my daughter's room. My question is can I run ethernet cable outside, up the side of the house to her room just like the cable service.

I have a wired network and do not really want to spend the money to go wireless and of course there is no easy way to run the cable from the basement where the router is to her room. Just curious if the cable can handle the environment.

The short answer to this is, YES, the cable will take the weather. The FOB where I'm stationed at now has miles of interior grade CAT5 hanging from poles, running over roofs, etc. The biggest problem I've found with this has been the wind and snow/ice load that the cable has to handle. If your cable is going up the side of the house, you should have no problem with it.

Detectorist
11-25-2008, 08:06
There is actually Cat5 cable rated for outdoors. It will have 'outdoor' stamped on it. If you get cable made in China the quality will vary tremendously.

Mr.Kurse
11-27-2008, 11:34
yes you can run the cable out side of the house if you, don't want to run through the floors but make sure the cable is outside rated, the outside cable has a shield inside of it that will protect it from the elements.

Nicky D
11-27-2008, 16:24
Thanks for the info everyone. I think I found a way to run it and keep it inside, It will definitely take longer to run and use more cable but I have plenty of cable.