Asus EEE PC 1000 - Linux [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Asus EEE PC 1000 - Linux

Dandapani
11-19-2008, 09:43
Just picked this up from newegg.com:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220369

Asus EEE PC 1000, Intel Atom 10.0" Wide SVGA 1GB Memory 40GB SSD.

Also ordered a 2GB memory card, but it shipped separately and hasn't arrived yet. It seems this will be an easy upgrade in this model. Install memory, simple matter to remove the back plate with a screw driver, then F2 to get to BIOS, enable 2GB, and boot. Some of the older models of EEE required new kernel to see 2GB. We'll verify when the memory arrives today.

I had planned on replacing the Xandros Linux with Ubuntu right away, but was put off by all the tweaking required to get the wireless going. One set of directions I found even suggested using a Windows wireless driver. So I think I will live with Xandros. I did d/l the packages required for "full desktop" switching. That's a nice option.

So far so good. Wireless is flawless sync'ing up quite nicely with my neighbor's open Linksys and with my NetGear G wireless with WPA. I'm pretty satisfied I'll be able to surf from my couch while I recuperate after my prostatectomy next month.

Still playing with functionality. Has a built in web cam. Took a self-portrait and edited it a bit (cut out the rest of the messy bathroom). Image was originally 640x480.

I switch back and forth between Easy Mode and Full Desktop. Some things are "easier" in easy mode :) although I am a Linux guru.

Firefox is curiously version 2. Browsing GT will take a bit of practice on the tight screen space. (This was posted from my desktop machine. I'll follow up with a post from the EEE.)

Questions, comments?

IndyGunFreak
11-19-2008, 10:41
If you download ubuntu-eee, you shouldn't have to tweak at all to get the wireless going. It has a custom kernel and the driver is in the kernel. I didn't use the version of Xandros that came w/ them to much, but Ubuntu-eee seems to work fine.... Boot it from a thumb drive and see if your

I like my eee, and hope you do to.. :)

IGF

Dandapani
11-19-2008, 15:11
If you download ubuntu-eee, you shouldn't have to tweak at all to get the wireless going. It has a custom kernel and the driver is in the kernel. I didn't use the version of Xandros that came w/ them to much, but Ubuntu-eee seems to work fine.... Boot it from a thumb drive and see if your

I like my eee, and hope you do to.. :)

IGF

Boot from thumbdrive. Good idea. I'll try that over the weekend. I'm trying to get Juniper SSL VPN up and running, but apparently there are things "missing" that are expected like rpm and modprobe tun. I've read that Ubuntu doesn't have these same problems. Thanks!

Dandapani
11-21-2008, 07:11

IGF, before I received my EEE, I d/l an ubuntu-eee iso, and followed a set of instructions to make a bootable thumbdrive. I've not booted it yet, but it was described as an "installing" setup. Will this same thumbdrive s/w let me just run it live? (I know, boot it and try it :)

IndyGunFreak
11-21-2008, 07:26
IGF, before I received my EEE, I d/l an ubuntu-eee iso, and followed a set of instructions to make a bootable thumbdrive. I've not booted it yet, but it was described as an "installing" setup. Will this same thumbdrive s/w let me just run it live? (I know, boot it and try it :)

Yup, the iso is "Live"... I don't know what instructions you followed to get it working, but the easiest thing to use is Unetbootin.. (you could use your main PC to set up the thumb drive)

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Dandapani
11-21-2008, 07:56
Yup, the iso is "Live"... I don't know what instructions you followed to get it working, but the easiest thing to use is Unetbootin.. (you could use your main PC to set up the thumb drive)

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

I couldn't get it to run under Fedora. I followed the alternative manual instructions. I'll give it a go then. Thanks.

The Pontificator
11-21-2008, 08:05
Does the bluetooth feature on your eee PC allow you to tether your netbook to your cellphone? Can you do wireless broadband that way?

The Pontificator
11-21-2008, 08:08
Are Ubuntu eee and Ubuntu Netbook Remix the same thing?

IndyGunFreak
11-21-2008, 08:13
Are Ubuntu eee and Ubuntu Netbook Remix the same thing?

Nebtook Remix, is the GUI, .... I don't know how to explain it other than calling it a "control panel" GUI Click a section on the left, Icons go on the right and you open the program you want. Its easily disabled and then you can use a traditional Gnome/KDE/Xfce/Whatever environment.... I guess there could be a version called NBR, but I've not saw nor heard of it.

Probably very similar to the version of Xandros' that comes on the Aspire One

IndyGunFreak
11-21-2008, 08:16
I couldn't get it to run under Fedora. I followed the alternative manual instructions. I'll give it a go then. Thanks.

Thats weird.. worked fine for me on my Debian box. I've actually used it to setup several thumb drives...

Pont.. As for the bluetooth, I have no idea.. I don't do bluetooth, and my cell phone is kinda weird, as I can only make phone calls with it.. :)

IGF

The Pontificator
11-21-2008, 08:22
Nebtook Remix, is the GUI, .... I don't know how to explain it other than calling it a "control panel" GUI Click a section on the left, Icons go on the right and you open the program you want. Its easily disabled and then you can use a traditional Gnome/KDE/Xfce/Whatever environment.... I guess there could be a version called NBR, but I've not saw nor heard of it.

Probably very similar to the version of Xandros' that comes on the Aspire One

Aspire One uses Linpus Linux Lite, not Xandros.

Matt VDW
11-21-2008, 13:10
How is the battery life?

Dandapani
11-21-2008, 20:43
Does the bluetooth feature on your eee PC allow you to tether your netbook to your cellphone? Can you do wireless broadband that way?

I can link my phone and EEE via bluetooth. I only tried to copy files. I didn't notice the ability to run internet as I don't have data service on my phone. Good question.

Dandapani
11-21-2008, 20:43
Thats weird.. worked fine for me on my Debian box. I've actually used it to setup several thumb drives...

IGF

Fedora != Debian :rofl:

I forget the missing features the utility was looking for. Fedora is RPM based if that makes a difference.

Dandapani
11-21-2008, 20:45
How is the battery life?

At least 6 hours. I think the claims are 7.5 hours. I haven't measured it. The manual says the time will get better as the battery is broken in.

Keep in mind that this unit doesn't have HDD, but rather SSD.

Dandapani
11-22-2008, 14:15
I booted up ubuntu-eee off the thumbdrive I had created. Looks nice. Took a few pokes to figure it out. The GUI is different than what I remembered last time I booted an Ubuntu. I guess someone created a nice "easy" interface for the EEE. Wireless came right up. Did have one small scare. After it booted, it started into an "install" dialog, but I was able to 'cancel' my way back to the desktop. Looks nice. FF 3 is there.

I'll stick with the Xandros for now, but its nice having an option to fall back on. Thanks for the nudge, IGF.

(I just installed a basic compilation system on the EEE Xandros. I want to install sshfs/fuse so that I can access my desktop Linux box from the kitchen on the EEE.)

IndyGunFreak
11-22-2008, 18:52
I booted up ubuntu-eee off the thumbdrive I had created. Looks nice. Took a few pokes to figure it out. The GUI is different than what I remembered last time I booted an Ubuntu. I guess someone created a nice "easy" interface for the EEE. Wireless came right up. Did have one small scare. After it booted, it started into an "install" dialog, but I was able to 'cancel' my way back to the desktop. Looks nice. FF 3 is there.

I'll stick with the Xandros for now, but its nice having an option to fall back on. Thanks for the nudge, IGF.

(I just installed a basic compilation system on the EEE Xandros. I want to install sshfs/fuse so that I can access my desktop Linux box from the kitchen on the EEE.)

You can disable that GUI and use a normal Gnome interface if thats what you like..... but glad your happy w/ Xandros.

IGF

Dandapani
11-22-2008, 19:31
You can disable that GUI and use a normal Gnome interface if thats what you like..... but glad your happy w/ Xandros.

Well, I wouldn't say I was happy. I just wanted to BE happy with Xandros, but alas, it's not working for me. I did get the compilation system loaded, but I couldn't configure and build sshfs as pkg-config was missing. I loaded that, then a bunch of dependencies were missing. I couldn't find dev packages for the libraries sshfs uses in the standard or extended repositories.

I'll play another week with Xandros and then I may have to jump over to ubuntu for the extra flexibility it provides.

IndyGunFreak
11-22-2008, 19:47
Well, I wouldn't say I was happy. I just wanted to BE happy with Xandros, but alas, it's not working for me. I did get the compilation system loaded, but I couldn't configure and build sshfs as pkg-config was missing. I loaded that, then a bunch of dependencies were missing. I couldn't find dev packages for the libraries sshfs uses in the standard or extended repositories.

I'll play another week with Xandros and then I may have to jump over to ubuntu for the extra flexibility it provides.

I can't remember if its on Ubuntu-eee or not, but Regular Ubuntu has an SSH utility that is on the base install..

Good luck..

IGF

Dandapani
11-22-2008, 19:59
I can't remember if its on Ubuntu-eee or not, but Regular Ubuntu has an SSH utility that is on the base install..

Good luck..

IGF

SSH is standard on Xandros. I can ssh to my desktop. sshfs-fuse allows a user level filesystem to be created over the ssh channel. This would allow me to access my desktop files more seamless from the EEE. sshfs isn't a standard package in any of the repositories I could find. I'm not much of a debian Linux guy, more into rpm (Redhat). Been using RH derivatives since RH 7.3.

Kevin108
11-22-2008, 21:07
For screen space in Firefox, I use Compact Menu 2 https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4550 and Remove It Permanently. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/521. I would post a screen shot for you, but I just realized I left my whole bag at my parents' place today.

I've had a second-gen 701 for about a year now. I love it. I wouldn't mind upgrading to a newer model someday, but I don't want one much bigger. It fits great in a Maxpedition Fatboy. I take mine everywhere.

Any movie or TV show I watch by myself is on it. I've started reading some books on it as well. I stretch out in bed or on the couch and put it on my chest on top of something solid, like a clipboard or a hardcover book, to keep the air vents open. Sometimes I use headphones. A 7" widescreen a foot from your face is for me a reasonable alternative to a big LCD hanging on the wall across the room.

I run XP on mine although I have Acronis installed on an 8 GB SDHC card and I have images of various operating systems on it. I swap around from time to time just to try different things out. The default OS is fine for about 90% of what I do with mine (Firefox, Thunderbird, Pidgin, VLC), I'm just more familiar with how to do stuff XP. Boot times, performance, etc. all seem pretty identical. I upgraded mine to 2 GB RAM from 512 MB. It makes a big difference when you can disable the swap file thanks to sufficient memory. The newer models all seem to be coming with 1 GB, which is probably just as good.

These are great little machines. Tough, compact and versatile. Not having an optical drive adds some time to things sometimes (takes my desktop about 2 hours to rip a movie to an AVI), but other than that and the short-ish battery life, I really have no complaints.

Dandapani
11-22-2008, 21:18
Also ordered a 2GB memory card, but it shipped separately and hasn't arrived yet. It seems this will be an easy upgrade in this model. Install memory, simple matter to remove the back plate with a screw driver, then F2 to get to BIOS, enable 2GB, and boot. Some of the older models of EEE required new kernel to see 2GB. We'll verify when the memory arrives today.

Forgot to post. Memory upgrade was a snap. Remove back cover, unlock the 1GB memory card, install 2GB memory card, button everything up. Booted, F2 to setup. Bios saw the extra memory. Save and boot, System Info claimed OS had 2GB.

Dandapani
11-23-2008, 14:22
For screen space in Firefox, I use Compact Menu 2 https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4550 and Remove It Permanently. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/521. I would post a screen shot for you, but I just realized I left my whole bag at my parents' place today.

Thanks for the PM of the screen shots. Those really do compact things. I'll give them a try.

Big Al 24
11-23-2008, 14:44
How does doubling the memory affect the battery life?

Kevin108
11-23-2008, 16:37
Didn't seem to make much difference for me. The guys over at eeeuser.com came up with a formula for the difference based on the voltage requirements of the different sticks of RAM but I don't remember what their official results were or if they were really even relevant because the variety of ways to save and expend a battery charge on these little netbooks.

IndyGunFreak
11-23-2008, 16:45
Didn't seem to make much difference for me. The guys over at eeeuser.com came up with a formula for the difference based on the voltage requirements of the different sticks of RAM but I don't remember what their official results were or if they were really even relevant because the variety of ways to save and expend a battery charge on these little netbooks.

Now I admit freely I'm a geek, but that... Takes the cake..lol.

IGF

Big Al 24
11-23-2008, 17:06
Now I admit freely I'm a geek, but that... Takes the cake..lol.

IGF

Guys like that who test privately are the ones who make sure these tech companies live up to their claims. That's why I'm always linking to the xtremesystems forums, it's like GT for tech people. And be fair to yourself Indy, you're plenty geeky- you use Linux. Installing your own OS is something that your average computer user does not do, and if they do, they don't do it well. :wavey:

Dandapani
11-23-2008, 19:38

Compact Menu 2 didn't do anything on FF2 on my EEE 1000. I looked for options or something, but the menus were just the same.

Remove It Permanently worked as advertised. Nice.

Kevin108
11-23-2008, 20:45
For Compact Menu 2 to work, right-click your FF toolbar (Back, Fwd, Home, etc.) and choose Customize. Drag the CM2 icon, like a globe with a down arrow, onto your toolbar. Also configure it to use small icons and no text. I forgot there were no instructions that were apparent on the add-on page.

d3athp3nguin
11-23-2008, 21:27
In case compact menu 2 doesn't work, a less sophisicated add-on that gives the same functionality is Tiny Menu:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1455

Works great on my eee 701!

I've been drooling over the new 900 series... must...not...buy...

Kevin108
11-23-2008, 22:13
I keep waiting for something to go wrong with mine to where I can justify getting a bigger screen, faster CPU and more SDD space. :supergrin:

Kevin108
11-24-2008, 01:02
Something else I just figured out - you can use Compact Menu 2 in Thunderbird as well. From the link above, right-click and Save Link As. In Thunderbird go to Tools | Addons and install it from the XPI you downloaded. Then add to the toolbar and configure as usual.

Dandapani
11-24-2008, 15:16
For Compact Menu 2 to work, right-click your FF toolbar (Back, Fwd, Home, etc.) and choose Customize. Drag the CM2 icon, like a globe with a down arrow, onto your toolbar. Also configure it to use small icons and no text. I forgot there were no instructions that were apparent on the add-on page.

Ok, took me a few minutes to "figure it out", but I eliminated the menu bar and installed the Compact Menu 2 "button" on the url bar and now have all the menus in one place, plus more screen real estate. Thanks!

Dandapani
11-24-2008, 15:18
... but I couldn't configure and build sshfs as pkg-config was missing. I loaded that, then a bunch of dependencies were missing. I couldn't find dev packages for the libraries sshfs uses in the standard or extended repositories.

I found the source code of the version of sshfs that goes with the older version of fuse that's included with Xandros. I cobbled together enough stray header files and such to get sshfs compiled and linked. It works exactly how I needed it to.

I sshfs mount my desk Linux machine home dir on the EEE and can see all my files without resorting to nfs or using http. The files are just there. I can play my MP3s over the ssh tunnel without having to copy them to the EEE.

Kevin108
11-24-2008, 17:46
Always glad to help!

And if you haven't visited http://eeeuser.com yet, you should. It's not as good as it used to be because there are SO many Eee owners looking for various answers but between the wiki and search and the fact that you seem pretty sharp anyway, you can probably figure out whatever you need to know there.

One thing though: now that I know you're a Linux guru with an Eee, expect to be PMed a million questions the next time I boot up Xandros on my machine. :supergrin:

Big Al 24
11-24-2008, 19:19
Great, another $5-6 hundred dollar item that this forum has me thinking about buying now... Thanks guys!!! :rofl:

Kevin108
11-24-2008, 19:53
Great, another $5-6 hundred dollar item that this forum has me thinking about buying now... Thanks guys!!! :rofl:

$600!? Are you planning on buying two? Well, I guess the 1000s are in that range. Check out a 700/900.

Dandapani
11-24-2008, 19:54
Always glad to help!

And if you haven't visited http://eeeuser.com yet, you should. It's not as good as it used to be because there are SO many Eee owners looking for various answers but between the wiki and search and the fact that you seem pretty sharp anyway, you can probably figure out whatever you need to know there.

One thing though: now that I know you're a Linux guru with an Eee, expect to be PMed a million questions the next time I boot up Xandros on my machine. :supergrin:

I've been on eeuser.com. Some of the info is dated, but most of it applies to my 1000.

Xandros is an ok Linux, but not as flexible as one would expect a Linux to be. I've always been an RH/Fedora guy. This debian stuff is a bit frustrating. I'm going to stick it out with Xandros as long as I can. I just want a nice companion box to tote around and not have this become a freaking hobby :tongueout::rofl::wavey:

Fedora 10 comes out tomorrow. I'll d/l it over the holidays and upgrade my Fedora 9 desk machine with it.

Ubuntu-eee is nice, but I'm a bit wary of it. The user base is quite small with a very small team of developers creating it. It's not an official Ubuntu release. The U-eee creator has even received a cease and desist order from the trademark owners of Ubuntu. :whistling:

Dandapani
11-24-2008, 19:55

I paid $506 complete for the 1000 plus the 2GB upgrade simm. Free shipping.

Big Al 24
11-24-2008, 20:41
I paid $506 complete for the 1000 plus the 2GB upgrade simm. Free shipping.

Says the evil consumptive imp on my shoulder!!! Damn You!!! Beeehiiinnnnd me Satan!!! :steamed: