Are there a lot of enlisted with tech degrees? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Are there a lot of enlisted with tech degrees?

Rocknropes
11-19-2008, 11:06
So, if you haven't seen my previous post on OTS here goes: Im applying to OTS and I was gonna do ROTC as a backup but that fell through. Im still applying to OTS but now for a backup im considering going enlisted. I want to serve, and I was just wondering are there a lot of guys in the enlisted ranks with a tech degree like electrical engineering? I know the enlisted guys do more of the hands on work which I like, but I also would like something that will translate well to the civie world. If I go enlisted I would choose 3E0E1 which is Power . how would I compare to the other enlisted because I have a degree? I know I'd start off right away as an E-3 but are there any other differences that I should know about? thanks .

Ralff
11-19-2008, 14:54
I can't give advice for your other questions but as far as being treated differently, you wouldn't be. You come in automatically with E-3 which anyone with over 20 credit hours gets. Otherwise, the only difference would be a ton of people asking you why the hell you're enlisted. :supergrin:

Rocknropes
11-19-2008, 17:25
I can't give advice for your other questions but as far as being treated differently, you wouldn't be. You come in automatically with E-3 which anyone with over 20 credit hours gets. Otherwise, the only difference would be a ton of people asking you why the hell you're enlisted. :supergrin:

well, I'd only be going enlisted if i wasn't accepted into OTS. i still want to serve, so enlisted wouldn't be that bad of a choice. My recruiter says there are a lot of guys with degrees that go enlisted.

afcop724
11-19-2008, 18:10
...My recruiter says...
:rofl:

CPT_CRUNCH
11-19-2008, 21:33
:rofl:

+1, my recruiter says... heard that one before too.

dude if you want to be an officer and the af is acting funny or whatever, maybe you should check another service. do your homework... the af has been acting extremely funny in the last 3 years (look up the term "force shaping"). the af isnt the only service w/ engineers. you're havent expressed interest in flying... so you just want the snazzy tiger uniform or what???

if you want to enlist then enlist. someone as enthusiastic as you seem should be in already. you could have almost been done w/ basic by now!

regarding your question there are many enlisted members w/ bachelors degrees. however, most dont come in w/ them and dont earn them until a lot later in their careers. would you be treated different... probably not. why would you? as already stated, you probably would get very tired of people asking why you didnt come in as an officer (i'd ask too).

while enlisted, if you're a super-troop who volunteers, shows maturity, and are good at your job... your supervisors will try their best to get you the recognition that get you the ots slot you've proven to deserve. just make sure they know your goal! if serving in the officer corps is you ultimate goal then your enlisted time will only help be a better officer.

gamingoddess
11-20-2008, 07:14
I definately second what CPT_CRUNCH said. Do your homework (well you are majoring in electronic engineering so I'm sure you are good at your research) and look at other avenues BEFORE considering what is coming out anyone's mouth...including the recruiter. I am not saying recruiters lie, they simply do not tell the complete story of how well things run.

Honestly, the best officers I know are prior enlisted. Most have come from other services too. In fact, our squadron commander was prior enlisted from the Marines. I never knew until I had to fix his computer and saw an award plaque from years ago when he was a sergeant. That's when I realized, "Hey that is why he seems to understand us."

As for your degree, unless you mouth to everyone else that you have a degree, most people won't know...or care. People in the enlisted ranks care how well you do your job, volunteer in the community, and respect those of higher rank/status. What does it give you? If you used what you learned to make your work area/community a better place...maybe a plaque, a recognition, or maybe an endorsement when you want to find a new position (or maybe apply to AECP/OTS and need your commanding officer's endorsement). In the end, all I care about is that I worked my hardest in the end of the day and that I had my supervisor's and my co-worker's respect.

There have been people who joined in with degrees...and I have gotta say that a few of them were pretty snotty at first (I'm not saying that this will be you), but they hit reality check pretty quick. As long as you don't let it get to your head, you probably will do fine in your enlistment...in the end, it's your own decision. I had an opportunity to try ROTC when I was nearing the end of high school, but I decided to take the enlistment route so that my parents wouldn't need to pay in college costs. It took me 7 years now to finally get my 4-year degree. Do I regret my decision? NOT A BIT. I've traveled to so many countries I've lost count, and I have gained friendships that I never would have in one college. (Where can you say you gained a friend when you accidently knocked into each others heads when diving on the ground because of a mortar attack? :rofl:)

You are the adult...TAKE YOUR TIME!

Rocknropes
11-22-2008, 22:30
I definately second what CPT_CRUNCH said. Do your homework (well you are majoring in electronic engineering so I'm sure you are good at your research) and look at other avenues BEFORE considering what is coming out anyone's mouth...including the recruiter. I am not saying recruiters lie, they simply do not tell the complete story of how well things run.

Honestly, the best officers I know are prior enlisted. Most have come from other services too. In fact, our squadron commander was prior enlisted from the Marines. I never knew until I had to fix his computer and saw an award plaque from years ago when he was a sergeant. That's when I realized, "Hey that is why he seems to understand us."

As for your degree, unless you mouth to everyone else that you have a degree, most people won't know...or care. People in the enlisted ranks care how well you do your job, volunteer in the community, and respect those of higher rank/status. What does it give you? If you used what you learned to make your work area/community a better place...maybe a plaque, a recognition, or maybe an endorsement when you want to find a new position (or maybe apply to AECP/OTS and need your commanding officer's endorsement). In the end, all I care about is that I worked my hardest in the end of the day and that I had my supervisor's and my co-worker's respect.

There have been people who joined in with degrees...and I have gotta say that a few of them were pretty snotty at first (I'm not saying that this will be you), but they hit reality check pretty quick. As long as you don't let it get to your head, you probably will do fine in your enlistment...in the end, it's your own decision. I had an opportunity to try ROTC when I was nearing the end of high school, but I decided to take the enlistment route so that my parents wouldn't need to pay in college costs. It took me 7 years now to finally get my 4-year degree. Do I regret my decision? NOT A BIT. I've traveled to so many countries I've lost count, and I have gained friendships that I never would have in one college. (Where can you say you gained a friend when you accidently knocked into each others heads when diving on the ground because of a mortar attack? :rofl:)

You are the adult...TAKE YOUR TIME!

Thank you for the insight. I've thought more about this and I now have a definite goal with a laid out plan.

thanks again.