This Video is Insane. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : This Video is Insane.

Armchair Commando
11-21-2008, 04:06
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_d_nuqECFaQ&NR=1

Green_Manelishi
11-21-2008, 11:28
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_d_nuqECFaQ&NR=1

Very interesting. I'd be more impressed if he did slower reps and kept his back flat on the bench.

BCR
11-21-2008, 12:45
I couldn't tell if his butt was coming off the bench. But I guess it doesnt really matter seeing how he is benching 405 for 20 and I can't even squat 405 for 1.

I heard he just did 715 raw, which would tie Mendy for the raw WR.

Buck wild crazy strong!

Armchair Commando
11-21-2008, 13:28
Very interesting. I'd be more impressed if he did slower reps and kept his back flat on the bench.

That's actually proper Bench form. From what i can tell his butt didn't come off the Bench, Although he does hold the World Record Bench in a Shirt. Slower Reps don't matter cause he isn't bouncing the Weight off his Chest which shows his True Power even more.

Armchair Commando
11-21-2008, 13:29
I couldn't tell if his butt was coming off the bench. But I guess it doesnt really matter seeing how he is benching 405 for 20 and I can't even squat 405 for 1.

I heard he just did 715 raw, which would tie Mendy for the raw WR.

Buck wild crazy strong! I'm Expecting Scot to try and up his Current Record seeing as Ryan is right with him.

DBradD
11-21-2008, 16:52
HERE's the bottom line (placed at the top, LOL): If I ever get to 1/2 as strong as him, I'll consider myself to be pretty cool.

That's actually proper Bench form. ...
Stopping 2.5-3" short of lockout is proper bench form? I'd also bet money on his butt leaving the bench on some of those.

The thing that gets me is when people start quoting scores. To say 20 reps, to me, means 20 REAL bench press reps, perhaps sans the PLing meet pause at hte bottom. Full lockout and no doubt about sky humping or bouncing.

Work = Force * Distance. Stopping 2.5"-3" short of lockout allows him to crank out quite a few more reps than with full lockout. I see this with my own scores. I made sure I was totally locking out tabata squats and my PR went from 22 to 19 or 20 (forgot). I enforced a modest height l standard for burpees and my PR went from 8:00 to over 11:00 and now I've worked it down to 9:00 after a bunch of work.

I'm very impressed, but I'd be MUCH MORE impressed if he did 14-15 really good reps. Then again, maybe I'm the weird one.

Armchair Commando
11-21-2008, 22:25
HERE's the bottom line (placed at the top, LOL): If I ever get to 1/2 as strong as him, I'll consider myself to be pretty cool.

Stopping 2.5-3" short of lockout is proper bench form? I'd also bet money on his butt leaving the bench on some of those.

The thing that gets me is when people start quoting scores. To say 20 reps, to me, means 20 REAL bench press reps, perhaps sans the PLing meet pause at hte bottom. Full lockout and no doubt about sky humping or bouncing.

Work = Force * Distance. Stopping 2.5"-3" short of lockout allows him to crank out quite a few more reps than with full lockout. I see this with my own scores. I made sure I was totally locking out tabata squats and my PR went from 22 to 19 or 20 (forgot). I enforced a modest height l standard for burpees and my PR went from 8:00 to over 11:00 and now I've worked it down to 9:00 after a bunch of work.

I'm very impressed, but I'd be MUCH MORE impressed if he did 14-15 really good reps. Then again, maybe I'm the weird one.Shoulder Blades and Butt are the only things need to be touching when benching, Hence his Form is Perfect. This man Holds the Record Bench Shirted and is Tied with Mendolson for the Raw Record as well. I kinda think he knows how his Bench Form should be. You don't become a World Record Holder by not knowing what your doing. :cool: To be honest Dbrad the only time you should Completely Lockout is when Re Racking the Weight, When you Lockout 1 of 2 things happen, You take about 95% of the Tension of the Muscles and and Second you put a lot of Unneeded Stress on your Joint in the Elbow. I never completely lockout in a Set, I'm doing the set because i want to increase my strength and keep constant Tension on the Target Muscles and not my Joints. Same exact thing when doing Squats, When i come to up on a Squat i never fully lock my Legs out, That's a Perfect way to Screw up your knees. I keep my knees slightly bent at all times and let my Muscles control the Weight instead of my joints.

California Jack
11-21-2008, 22:40
I'm gonna start another pissing match, but here goes. I think the same people that say squatting below parallel is bad for your knees are the same ones that claim locking out a lift is bad for your joints. I don't think that is founded in anything real.

I know Rip has commented about this but can't remember what he said.

As a side question, if you don't lock out your rep, how do you know it was a rep and not a partial? Not saying anything bad about partials necessarily.

California Jack
11-21-2008, 22:48
Watch the way Rezazedeh front squats. Think how much better he'd be if did partials instead. http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=hkSN3f-a3Ok&feature=related

And watch Dimas here. He only competed in 4 Olympics. Lock out didn't seem to shorten his career...... http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=4N5HdkpFy2M&feature=related

Armchair Commando
11-21-2008, 23:42
I'm gonna start another pissing match, but here goes. I think the same people that say squatting below parallel is bad for your knees are the same ones that claim locking out a lift is bad for your joints. I don't think that is founded in anything real.

I'd have to Disagree with you here, While locking out your Knees with a Lot of weight on them is Bad and can cause injury to the joints. I'm a Firm believer is Full Squats and have witnessed people first hand getting fked up doing Squats. I even saw one guy Tear his Quad from the Bone and it looked like a big ball under his Skin. Dr Frederick Hatfield, The First man to Squat 800Lbs is a Firm Believer in Ass to the Grass Squats and Actually believes that Squats are Healthy for the Knees( If done Properly) and i Agree with him on that point. It's the Locking out of the Joints that the Real Trouble Begins. Oh yea i did a 515 Full Squat Last night. :tongueout:

Armchair Commando
11-21-2008, 23:47
http://www.muscleandstrength.com/exercises/squat.html

Exercise Instructions:
The squat is the king of all exercises, working over 256 muscles in one movement! Setup for the exercise by setting the barbell to just below shoulder height and loading the weight you want to use. Stand under the bar with your feet at about shoulder width apart. Position the bar so that it is resting on the muscles on the top of your back, not on the back of your neck. The bar should feel comfortable. If it doesn't, try adding some padding to the bar. Now take your hands over the back and grip the bar with a wide grip for stability. You should now bend at the knees and straighten your back in preparation to take the weight off the rack. Keeping your back straight and eyes up push up through the legs and take the weight off the rack. Take a small step back and stabilize yourself. Keeping your eyes facing forwards slowly lower your body down. Don't lean forward as you come down, your buttocks should come out and drop straight down. Squat down until your thighs are parallel with the floor, then slowly raise your body back up pushing through your heels. ((((((((((((((Do not lock the knees out when you stand up, then repeat the movement.))))))))))))

BCR
11-22-2008, 02:41
The bar should feel comfortable. If it doesn't, try adding some padding to the bar.

Uh oh..........:rofl:

BCR
11-22-2008, 02:47
I'm Expecting Scot to try and up his Current Record seeing as Ryan is right with him.

Great to hear, as I am sick of seeing new geared records.

I find it odd that the raw and geared records are about 300lbs apart. Hard to believe these guys are getting 300lbs out of a shirt.

I understand that geared comps are on the same playing field, but give me a break.

Armchair Commando
11-22-2008, 03:41
Great to hear, as I am sick of seeing new geared records.

I find it odd that the raw and geared records are about 300lbs apart. Hard to believe these guys are getting 300lbs out of a shirt.

I understand that geared comps are on the same playing field, but give me a break.

Ryan did a 1075 Shirted Bench in the 308 Weight Class at the Pride Powerlifting meet 11-08-2008. That's Exactly 360Lbs above the Raw Record.

Armchair Commando
11-22-2008, 03:42
Uh oh..........:rofl:

I just copy and pasted it Brah. :shocked:

Armchair Commando
11-22-2008, 03:47
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wOPBS6qHCk&feature=related

TurboRocket
11-22-2008, 07:37

Nice nails!

Yep, I'd say that to his face, too. Because I could draw or run faster than he can get his hands around my neck :rofl:

TurboRocket
11-22-2008, 07:40
I have no dog in this race but I lock out... bench, squat, all of it.

No offense to anyone but what is the purpose of geared competition if it provides that much assistance (a delta of 300+ pounds over raw bench)? What would have been the genesis of this? Was it just someone wanted to prevent injuries with knee wraps, and over time, it just evolved into suits and shirts?

DBradD
11-22-2008, 07:45
Shoulder Blades and Butt are the only things need to be touching when benching, Hence his Form is Perfect. This man Holds the Record Bench Shirted and is Tied with Mendolson for the Raw Record as well. I kinda think he knows how his Bench Form should be. You don't become a World Record Holder by not knowing what your doing. :cool: To be honest Dbrad the only time you should Completely Lockout is when Re Racking the Weight, When you Lockout 1 of 2 things happen, You take about 95% of the Tension of the Muscles and and Second you put a lot of Unneeded Stress on your Joint in the Elbow. I never completely lockout in a Set, I'm doing the set because i want to increase my strength and keep constant Tension on the Target Muscles and not my Joints. Same exact thing when doing Squats, When i come to up on a Squat i never fully lock my Legs out, That's a Perfect way to Screw up your knees. I keep my knees slightly bent at all times and let my Muscles control the Weight instead of my joints.
Hey, I never said he wasn't about the strongest BPer who's ever lived. He obviously is. Sure he *knows* the BP, but that wouldn't stop him from shortening reps and relaxing form to allow the video of "20 BP reps with 405."

[edit--deleted the rest of it. No need to continue the pissing contest I started. I'm probably the weird one in that I take offense to some videos like these. If you enjoyed the video, good for you.]

DBradD
11-22-2008, 08:31
[deleted]

BCR
11-22-2008, 11:02
I just copy and pasted it Brah. :shocked:

LOL. I know.

Just funny. :supergrin:

BCR
11-22-2008, 11:10
I have no dog in this race but I lock out... bench, squat, all of it.

No offense to anyone but what is the purpose of geared competition if it provides that much assistance (a delta of 300+ pounds over raw bench)? What would have been the genesis of this? Was it just someone wanted to prevent injuries with knee wraps, and over time, it just evolved into suits and shirts?

I too lockout, just not ballistically. Its a nice soft lockout. :supergrin:

I do believe gear was invented to prevent injuries. Just to keep everything tight. But like everything else in life, it was exploited and taken to the limit. Original shirts and suits were much thinner than some of the stuff available today.

I think certain comps have limits in what you can use. Theres single ply, double ply and triple. Some shirts/suits can't be used.

BCR
11-22-2008, 11:12

Mmmmmm, I love watching Kara slap these guys.

Talk about tossing some weight around!

DBradD
11-22-2008, 12:06
...No offense to anyone but what is the purpose of geared competition if it provides that much assistance (a delta of 300+ pounds over raw bench)? What would have been the genesis of this? Was it just someone wanted to prevent injuries with knee wraps, and over time, it just evolved into suits and shirts?
LOL, it's funny seeing the reaction of laypeople (like my son and wife) when they get a grasp of raw vs equipped. After getting the idea of equipped, my son asked me what's stopping somebody from having a mechanical exoskeleton lift it and count that. THe answer is that the shirt isn't against the rules.

Philosophically, the rules seem arbitrary to me. The only difference is that the extra work comes from potential energy stored in the shirt instead of some moving parts with an external power source.

Some people love this stuff, so good for them. Not for me, though.

Armchair Commando
11-22-2008, 13:40
No need to continue the pissing contest I started.] actually i think Jack started this one, But who gives a hoot. Debates are Fun. :tongueout: Did a 360 Bench today guys, 5Lb jump on my PR.

California Jack
11-22-2008, 13:51
While locking out your Knees with a Lot of weight on them is Bad and can cause injury to the joints.

Do you have a source for this? Do you have a source other than the one mentioned. I think there are a couple of lines in it that discredit it a little. Like the part about don't go below parallel. You yourself say you believe in A2A squatting, so why reference this article as proof of not locking your knees?

I'm a Firm believer is Full Squats and have witnessed people first hand getting fked up doing Squats. I even saw one guy Tear his Quad from the Bone and it looked like a big ball under his Skin. Dr Frederick Hatfield, The First man to Squat 800Lbs is a Firm Believer in Ass to the Grass Squats and Actually believes that Squats are Healthy for the Knees( If done Properly) and i Agree with him on that point What does Dr. Fredd say about locking your knees?

As a side, I thought Fred was the first to squat 1K?

Congrats on your 515, that's big!

DBradD
11-22-2008, 14:16
Correct--Dr. H was the first to 1000. For all I know, he was the first to 800 too, but I have no source.

TheSK, I think the reason this stuff gets me is as follows. PLing, Olifting, etc. all have very prescriptive form and ROM limits. Supposedly, a 500 lb DL in a meet is as "real" as a 500 lb DL in any other meet. Lifts are comparable, in other words.

Nowadays, there are lots of folks out there making workouts into sport. CF's WOD is the best example, although there are others: 100 burpees for time, etc. The problem is that it becomes impossible to compare apples-to-apples for any of these because people don't follow very exact form and ROM limits...even though the workout has been transformed in a "sport" of sorts, by posting a video and claiming a score.

Sometimes, check out the 100 burpees races on youtube for example. There are people on there claiming sub 5:00 times when they are barely clearing hte ground and are not getting their chests within 3" of the ground. Now somebody posts a legit 5:00 and it's like "so what? I saw a guy who was at 4:40."

I know I'm the weird one for getting worked up over this kind of thing, LOL.

BTW, great job on the squat and BP!

Armchair Commando
11-22-2008, 14:30
Do you have a source for this? Do you have a source other than the one mentioned. I think there are a couple of lines in it that discredit it a little. Like the part about don't go below parallel. You yourself say you believe in A2A squatting, so why reference this article as proof of not locking your knees?

What does Dr. Fredd say about locking your knees?

As a side, I thought Fred was the first to squat 1K?

Congrats on your 515, that's big!

http://exercise.lifetips.com/faq/39797/0/how-far-should-i-straighten-my-joints-when-weight-lifting/index.html

http://www.mrtrainer.com/nla31.html

http://www.ultram-er.com/ultram-er/exercise.html

http://www.shoulder-pain-management.com/shoulderrotatorcuffexercises.html

DBradD
11-22-2008, 21:08
I just looked in SS:BBT. Rippetoe directly states to lock the elbows at the top of the press and bench press. I didn't see anything in the squat section, but didn't look for long.

I have some reservations about totally locking knees, but it doesn't have anything to do with joint injuries. It is very possible to pass out from standing in a position with knees fully locked. My wife actually did that once during the middle of a surgical procedure. For most people I've seen, "locked out" means slightly hyperextended. I think "knees straight" is a logical standard.

BCR
11-23-2008, 02:26
Correct--Dr. H was the first to 1000. For all I know, he was the first to 800 too, but I have no source.

I actually think Dave Waddington was the first to squat 1000lbs. But it was at a small meet and didn't get much coverage.

Lee Moran was 2nd I believe.

DBradD
11-23-2008, 07:27
Man, Brad(CR), I think you'd probably win a PLing Trivial Pursuit game!!

California Jack
11-23-2008, 21:02
http://weighttraining.about.com/od/techniquesandstrategies/qt/questions.htm

BCR
11-23-2008, 22:16
http://weighttraining.about.com/od/techniquesandstrategies/qt/questions.htm

See...............thats what I said.

I don't lockout ballistically, which is the same as explosively. :supergrin:

BCR
11-23-2008, 22:22
Man, Brad(CR), I think you'd probably win a PLing Trivial Pursuit game!!

LOL.

Waddington actually squatted 1003, at a small event. Back in the days of thinner suits. Also rumored to have been drug free.

But it was very dramatic when Lee Moran did it (the 2nd 1000lb squat).

On the first attempt, he dumped the bar forward over his dead. It knocked him out.

On the second attempt he was shaking like crazy and one of the collars wasn't secure and the plates slid off one end, and the bar catapulted off his shoulders on the opposite end.

Third attemp (can you imagine going for a 3rd try after all of this!!!)..... he nailed it. The footage is crazy.

This got a lot of coverage as it was at a larger meet.

California Jack
11-24-2008, 06:43
His third atttempt at th 1003 wast his fourth attempt at the squat. He was given the extra try because of the equipment failure.

Armchair Commando
11-24-2008, 15:02
LOL.

Waddington actually squatted 1003, at a small event. Back in the days of thinner suits. Also rumored to have been drug free.

But it was very dramatic when Lee Moran did it (the 2nd 1000lb squat).

On the first attempt, he dumped the bar forward over his dead. It knocked him out.

On the second attempt he was shaking like crazy and one of the collars wasn't secure and the plates slid off one end, and the bar catapulted off his shoulders on the opposite end.

Third attemp (can you imagine going for a 3rd try after all of this!!!)..... he nailed it. The footage is crazy.

This got a lot of coverage as it was at a larger meet.

Did you see the Video of Andy Bolton Deadlifting 1003 Lbs?

ateamer
11-24-2008, 23:25
Equipment was not invented for injury prevention, maybe with the exception of knee wraps. It was invented to allow lifters to put up more weight. It started back in the 60s when lifters would wear very tight denim shorts under their singlets. A lifter named Tommy Overholtzer had his partners tightly wrap his torso in bedsheets under his singlet, essentially creating the first squat suit. They changed the rules and banned that for the following year. Until the early 70s, elbow wraps were allowed. I know some oldtimers who said that they used to cut tennis balls in half and put them under their knee and elbow wraps, in the crook of the joint.

It's common now in meets for guys to squat well over 1,000, often 1100 or more, and not be able to deadlift past the mid-700s. It's just the evolution of the sport, as evidenced by the early "equipment" of the 60s. Gear is here to stay.

I used equipment when I was competing. It was just the natural progression, and there was no chance of placing well without it. The guys who use gear are still strong as hell. It really doesn't necessarily work to compare someone's geared bench max to their purported raw max, because few competing lifters will ever max out raw. There is no point to it, since they compete with shirts and suits. You train how you are going to compete.

Now that I am no longer competing, it is really nice to not wear the equipment. I always hated using it, partly out of philosophy (I don't like it in principal, but accepted it because the vast majority of lifters accept it, and the sport as a whole always has) and largely because it is a pain in the ass to deal with.

Armchair Commando
11-25-2008, 00:56
Equipment was not invented for injury prevention, maybe with the exception of knee wraps. It was invented to allow lifters to put up more weight. It started back in the 60s when lifters would wear very tight denim shorts under their singlets. A lifter named Tommy Overholtzer had his partners tightly wrap his torso in bedsheets under his singlet, essentially creating the first squat suit. They changed the rules and banned that for the following year. Until the early 70s, elbow wraps were allowed. I know some oldtimers who said that they used to cut tennis balls in half and put them under their knee and elbow wraps, in the crook of the joint.

It's common now in meets for guys to squat well over 1,000, often 1100 or more, and not be able to deadlift past the mid-700s. It's just the evolution of the sport, as evidenced by the early "equipment" of the 60s. Gear is here to stay.

I used equipment when I was competing. It was just the natural progression, and there was no chance of placing well without it. The guys who use gear are still strong as hell. It really doesn't necessarily work to compare someone's geared bench max to their purported raw max, because few competing lifters will ever max out raw. There is no point to it, since they compete with shirts and suits. You train how you are going to compete.

Now that I am no longer competing, it is really nice to not wear the equipment. I always hated using it, partly out of philosophy (I don't like it in principal, but accepted it because the vast majority of lifters accept it, and the sport as a whole always has) and largely because it is a pain in the ass to deal with.

Good Post.