Hardware listed under the "Unplug or Eject" icon? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hardware listed under the "Unplug or Eject" icon?

NRA_guy
11-22-2008, 07:28
I have a Westell DSL modem connected by USB. My ISP is AT&T.

Windows 2000 shows a little icon in the tray (bottom right of the screen next to the clock) that says "Unplug or Eject Hardware".

This icon is supposed to be for temporary things like USB connected cameras and thumb drives---and when I click on the icon such things are listed when they are connected.

Unfortunately, so is my modem.

So occasionally, when I click on "Unplug or Eject" to remove the thumb drive or camera, I accidentally click the modem. Then I have to reinstall the modem.

Modems are like USB printers and keyboards and mice: They should NOT be listed for "Unplug or Eject".

There is no setting on this in the Control Panel as far as I can determine.

I Googled it but all I find is how to hide or unhide the icon in the tray---not how to tweak what things are listed under the icon.

I did the chat help with AT&T's tech rep, and all he could say was "It's not a problem." Of course, it's not a problem for him.

I also searched the Westell web site to no avail. Yes, I have the latest driver.

QUESTION: Does anybody know how to keep Windows from listing my USB modem in the "Unplug or Eject" under the icon in the system tray?

Thanks.

intheburbs
11-22-2008, 07:31
Yes, connect the modem with the ethernet cable instead of the USB cable.

DoubleWide
11-22-2008, 12:03
Never tried it, but there's a program at Safely Remove that might fit your bill.

Big Al 24
11-22-2008, 17:25
Yes, connect the modem with the ethernet cable instead of the USB cable.

+1 That should fix it.

bradleybear
11-22-2008, 22:07
try just pulling out the cable and not worrying about the warnings. Most of the time it won't be a problem but windows always complains about it.

NRA_guy
11-24-2008, 05:14
Thanks for the feedback, folks.

I do not have an ethernet connection; so connecting my modem that way is not an option.

I used to just pull the thumb drive out, as suggested, but I run Firefox portable on it as my browser, and occasionally it would still be writing to the drive, and it would screw things up. I would lose my Favorites and have to reinstall them.

The latest version of Firefox portable is better. If you pull the drive early, next time you log in it asks if you want to start a new session or continue the old one. But you don't seem to lose anything. But you do get that annoying pop-up warning that says you pulled it without closing it first.

Thanks again.

IndyGunFreak
11-24-2008, 09:36
Been a while since I used windows, but can't you just go to My Computer, right click the device you want to remove(camera, thumb drive, whatever), and click eject? Maybe my brain is meshing Linux and Windows, but I thought you could do that in Windows also.

IGF

NRA_guy
11-25-2008, 06:33
Been a while since I used windows, but can't you just go to My Computer, right click the device you want to remove(camera, thumb drive, whatever), and click eject? Maybe my brain is meshing Linux and Windows, but I thought you could do that in Windows also.

IGFYou are right, but that's not really the issue.

It's not a question of how to remove/uninstall hardware.

It's a question of how to get my DSL modem to stop showing up in a list of temporary USB connected devices (so it does not accidentally get stopped.)

Thanks.

NRA_guy
01-10-2009, 14:44
Yes, connect the modem with the ethernet cable instead of the USB cable.I finally broke down and installed a $10 ethernet card and wireless modem.

No more "removable USB modem" and it seems a bit faster than the former connection via USB.

Thanks for the advice!