How did you learn to shoot? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How did you learn to shoot?

LAURAPDG26
11-22-2008, 21:07
Hey Ladies, new to the whole gun thing and wondered how most of you became proficient in your shooting skills. Did you take any ladies specific shooting classes or did you just practice as much as possible at the range?
Is it likely to get pretty good without having some live instruction? I am getting a lot of my info here and youtube because I don't know where else to learn. I haven't yet found any "courses" that help to improve skills in my state but maybe I am just missing them here in NC. Thanks.

purpledragonlily
11-23-2008, 00:01
My husband took me at first. Then when I got my Glock I started going by myself, the range has ladies day every Tuesday 1/2 price so I go at least every other week. I did get some helpful tips from my CCH class instructor, but in general practice, practice.

ShellyFM
11-24-2008, 21:19
A few weeks ago, I took the NRA Basic Pistol course. It really helped a lot. I highly recommend that you look into taking that course. I plan on taking some other courses they offer. I'm especially interested in the NRA Personal Protection in the Home and NRA Personal Protection Outside of the Home courses.

PilotKitten
11-25-2008, 10:34
Husband has taught me some basics. I'll probably be taking some classes though when we get back to the states. And definitely looking forward to practicing! :)

FrogWithAGlock
11-26-2008, 12:31
I'm a naturally good shot. But I'm still working with an instructor, to improve my skills, and to feel more "at one" with my weapon. I have NEVER gone on the range without an instructor (yet - but I also just got my first "very own" gun, and haven't had time for the range anyway). I would take this seriously enough to pay for instruction, rather than learning gun-handling from YouTube. That is, if you want to be safe.

LAURAPDG26
11-26-2008, 12:59
A few weeks ago, I took the NRA Basic Pistol course. It really helped a lot. I highly recommend that you look into taking that course. I plan on taking some other courses they offer. I'm especially interested in the NRA Personal Protection in the Home and NRA Personal Protection Outside of the Home courses.

Will look into the NRA courses if I can find one in my area. Believe it or not Frog, while you may not agree with youtube, there are some on there who go out of their way to make informative videos which really are helpful. Granted there is a bunch of crap there too, but there are a few people who have posted some quality stuff. For instance, I learned how to field strip and clean my gun and have done it once already with no problems.

Lynn D
11-29-2008, 20:01
A very good friend taught me....He's an experienced shooter, and the first thing he did was teach me the 4 rules.....He essentially gave me a one-on-one version of NRA Basic Pistol. He got me on the range, taught me sight picture, breathing, trigger press, etc.

I would highly recommend the NRA courses as well. I also took Basic Pistol and found it quite excellent. Additionally, you might want to look around your local gun shops/ranges for similar courses.

Best of luck, and shoot straight and safe!

:)

Mrs. VR
12-08-2008, 16:44
I went shooting once with an old bf, but my husband is the one who really taught me. I've also taken the basic NRA course, and gone to a few USPSA/IPSC local competitions to practice practical skills. Mostly, it's just been going to the range a lot.

glockmpw
12-08-2008, 19:49
I highly recommend an NRA course. Of course, I teach them, so I'm biased. But the curriculum is very comprehensive. Lots of folks learn by reading magazines or going to the range with a friend. While these can be good sources of info, and fun, they often leave gaps in your learning. You build a strong building on a strong foundation.

Loves2shoot
12-09-2008, 16:03
First of all, I wanted to officially say, "Hi!" I've been hanging out, reading much on these forums, but never really said hi. I love it here, you are all very special people. Hope you don't mind me joining in once in a while. =)

I learned to shoot from my best friend. He walked me through the "buying" and also through every step of safety and shooting. I went from not being able to shoot a paper plate at about 10 feet, to (according to my friend) "Shooting better than most guys he knows." I've only been shooting about a year and probably only gone shooting 5 times in that year due to weather, time and $$ for ammo.

So..I'll have to say that the biggest tool for me was when my friend bought me an Airsoft gun and later a CO2 pistol. I would used those on tin cans in my backyard. Also I would hold my Glock and my Ruger and dry fire them at targets my friend gave me. It taught me "muscle memory," strengthened my arms, trigger and breathing control. I was doubtful that practicing like this would have any impact on my shooting at all, but I was wrong. When I went back to our "spot" to shoot, I had improved tremendously AND I felt much more comfortable.

All that practice had paid off, and when I turned around after shooting and I saw my friends huge smile and his arms open to hug me..it was well worth it.

DustyJacket
12-09-2008, 18:17
My wife started in the NRA 50-foot program. (As did I)

glockmpw
12-10-2008, 17:08
For those in the Northern Virginia suburbs of Washington, DC there is a group of instructors who teach the basic pistol class on a monthly basis. Their website is:

www.piedmontnrainstructors.org (http://www.piedmontnrainstructors.org)

They have several lady instructors so you can shoot the range portion with a woman if you feel more comfortable that way.

Mrs.Cicero
12-16-2008, 18:26
Handgun - Bunch of different classes at various ranges (though I return to my favorite, now 400 miles away) each year for at least one weekend-long course. We've moved a lot, and each new state seems to require its own course for CCW so I have to do that, and then I am usually disappointed in the amount of range time there, and have to go find a weekend or week-long course that is mostly range-time instead of classroom lecture. I go to the range every week to practice (except when it gets below 0 degrees), or teach a friend (great way to improve myself, too). Finally took a weeklong Appleseed boot camp for the rifle instruction. I learn best from live instruction, so that's my preference. Lately, I've been contemplating adding AirSoft practice in the house (might keep Mr.C in line) just cause it has been so cold and i am so bored...

Mrs.C

jtull7
12-16-2008, 18:54
Daddy.