OMG!!!!! Please help..... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : OMG!!!!! Please help.....

DScottHewitt
11-23-2008, 16:57
I had to do the "Reload Windoze" thing Thursday to get my computer up and running. Most everything is still on my hard drive EXCEPT THE PICTURES I TOOK WITH WITH MY DIGICAM AND CAN'T REPLACE!!!!!

Anyway to recover them?!?!?

Scott

P.S. I also lost access to EVERY downloaded program from http://www.giveawayoftheday.com because it forgot my activation code stuff.....

ElevatedThreat
11-23-2008, 17:03
Where were they stored? Were they in stand alone folders, or in the standard windows folders like "My Pictures" or "My videos" or such?

If you do a search for files of type .jpg, .png, or whatever format the photos or videos were stored as, does the search find nothing?

-ET

IndyGunFreak
11-23-2008, 17:07
Always, Always, Always, Always, Always, Always, Always, Always, Always, Always, Always backup critical data before doing any sort of majors system change... A blank CD or DVD, or a thumb drive, woulda avoided this hassle for as little as a couple bucks.

Good luck....

DScottHewitt
11-23-2008, 17:10
Where were they stored? Were they in stand alone folders, or in the standard windows folders like "My Pictures" or "My videos" or such?

If you do a search for files of type .jpg, .png, or whatever format the photos or videos were stored as, does the search find nothing?

-ET

They were stored in nested folders inside my My Pictures folder. The videos in nested folders {AND JUST IN "MY VIDEOS"} were NOT deleted. I can't even get my Winter Funpack 2004 Wallpaper Changer to work, because the folder it used was in there, too. I am doing a search now. I don't understand why just those folders would be destroyed by the Windoze repair.....

Scott

DScottHewitt
11-23-2008, 17:13
Always, Always, Always, Always, Always, Always, Always, Always, Always, Always, Always backup critical data before doing any sort of majors system change... A blank CD or DVD, or a thumb drive, woulda avoided this hassle for as little as a couple bucks.

Good luck....

Hard to do the back-up BEFORE I did the repair, since I needed to do the repair to Windoze to boot up. But from now on, there WILL back-up copies.....

Scott

syntaxerrorsix
11-23-2008, 17:23
Follow the path to the folder in, "My Computer." Windows may have recovered the folder and appended a suffix to the folder name or files. Make sure you are allowed to view hidden files and folders. Then burn a Linux dist. ISO and dual boot until you feel comfortable enough to ditch window$.

xlntech
11-23-2008, 17:23
A few years ago, I learned not to keep important information on my computers. Thru the years, 2 or 3 of them crashed and had to reload the operating system losing everything. I now keep my photos in CD's, USB drives or SD cards.

IndyGunFreak
11-23-2008, 18:29
Hard to do the back-up BEFORE I did the repair, since I needed to do the repair to Windoze to boot up. But from now on, there WILL back-up copies.....

Scott

Obviously, Hindsight is 20/20.. but in situations like this, I'd keep a Linux Live CD around.. Load it up, move data to a thumb drive, restart and do the repair...

Tough.. I've been there where I lost some important stuff, thankfully, most of it just took time for me to accumulate again, ... Never again. I now have 2, 500gig external drives, 1 gets backed up every couple days, the other more like once a month...

IGF

RonS
11-23-2008, 18:40
A low tech approach that may help. Get a freeware program called Agent Ransack. It is a file search utility that has a ton of options and is not respectful of Windows hiding things. You may be able to use it to locate the missing files regardless of where they are stored by searching from the root of C:\ for file names, types, dates created etc. I have found that many pictures get stored with file names like Prom 2006 001, 002, 003 etc. If yours were stored with those kinds of file names you may be able to locate a file or two and pin down where they are located. It could be something happened to change the file extension or windows may have moved them.

Make sure you go into your Tools, Folder Options and unhide file extensions and show hidden and operating system files.

Good luck

blackbmw
11-23-2008, 18:40
I had to do the "Reload Windoze" thing Thursday to get my computer up and running. Most everything is still on my hard drive EXCEPT THE PICTURES I TOOK WITH WITH MY DIGICAM AND CAN'T REPLACE!!!!!

Scott

P.S. I also lost access to EVERY downloaded program from http://www.giveawayoftheday.com because it forgot my activation code stuff.....
Shoot it with a 9mm, you wont hurt it, just get its attention:rofl:

Sgt. Schultz
11-23-2008, 20:21
To prevent anymore data loss you need to stop using the computer that contains the lost data. You can do it with software like Stellar Phoenix or Ontrackís EasyRecovery Pro. Iíve used both; you will need another computer and time. You will need to install the recovery software on another computer, put the hard drive in it and run the program. The amount of time it takes will depend on the amount of data and the speed of the computer recovering the data Ö it can take hours or even days.

SomeDay
11-23-2008, 23:13
Lost my MBR and everything went sideways! I used a program called File Recovery for Windows and got things back from 3-4 partitions ago! (BTW it took me 3 days to do my last recovery, but then I had 100+ gigs worth of "stuff". It may take time, but you should be able to get your stuff back.

MB-G26
11-24-2008, 11:28
DScott- have you had any luck? Wanted to ask before I dig up the retore apps that I've used in the past.

theleafybug
11-24-2008, 13:28
r-studio, recover my files, file recovery for windows, all are good programs that can "undelete" most files after formatting/reinstalling windows. you might not get all your stuff back, but these will get at least most of it.

Drjones
11-25-2008, 22:04

Scott

Sorry for your troubles, man!!! Please do learn from this mistake though!!!

Immediately stop using the computer that has the lost data on it and I would take it to a professional data recovery service - it will probably run you a couple hundred, but I think it is well worth it to get your pictures back.......

Now, buy an external HD and back up frequently!!! They are *so* cheap there is NO reason not to - 1TB drives are very close to $100.00 nowadays......

Toyman
11-26-2008, 05:14
Did you do a REINSTALL or did you select REPAIR when booting from the windows CD?

Big Al 24
11-26-2008, 19:13
You could spend like $80 and download a program called GetDataBack for NTFS or FAT32. It works very well and can cut through about 4 formats if I'm not mistaken.

blackopsglock
12-06-2008, 02:20

Scott

AS a general rule you can pull the HD and put it in a external case,,hook it up to ANY windows base machine with a USB 2 card and pull the stuff you need.

I generally make a back up of my "documents and setting's"folder about every 6 months just as I described.

solomansousana
12-08-2008, 18:12
You can go purchase a Sandisk flashcard and in the Extreme III cards they include a very good file recovory program that might work if you didn't reformat your drive during the install.