Another Castle Law success story in Mississippi [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Another Castle Law success story in Mississippi

NRA_guy
11-24-2008, 04:04
Here is another Castle Law success story in Jackson, Mississippi:

Man killed while allegedly breaking into SUV

(from the Clarion-Ledger, November 23, 2008)

A 20-year-old Jackson man was gunned down while breaking into a vehicle Saturday night.

The shooting occurred just before 9 p.m. at 5737 County Cork Road in north Jackson.

Police said Brandon Lenard had broken into an SUV when the owner of the vehicle opened fire. Leonard died at the scene.

Hinds County Coroner Sharon Grisham-Stewart said Lenard suffered multiple gunshot wounds.

No charges are expected to be filed against the vehicle owner.

OXCOPS
11-24-2008, 04:25
Not enough to really go on in the story, but I am still kinda on the fence about shooting people for property crimes. True, thieves need a bullet in the ass, but I am not so sure that is what the law intended.

WileyG27
11-24-2008, 18:00
Not enough to really go on in the story, but I am still kinda on the fence about shooting people for property crimes. True, thieves need a bullet in the ass, but I am not so sure that is what the law intended.

Well, if the owner was in the SUV then I would say that was a good shoot but like you said, the story wasn't enough to go on.

But taking the issue of shooting over property crimes, I say if it's clear that they are taking it, fire away because you never know what will happen without that property... like needing to escape a bad neighborhood. Someone steals it and you're as good as dead.

It's a helluva wake-up call to would-be criminals to think twice before messing with someone OR their property.

NRA_guy
11-25-2008, 05:26
Anybody who will steal your car will hurt you. So, what are you supposed to do . . . call 911?

I called 911 in Jackson when my daughter's car was stolen from the Home Depot parking lot. It took the PD about 45 minutes to get there and the female cop another 30 minutes (really) to open her door and get out of her car.

If people don't steal cars they won't risk getting killed by the owners for stealing cars.

Seems pretty obvious to me.

Not killing folks for "only property crimes" slides one into hiding in a closet when they break into your house.

Shooting them in the leg or something will just get you sued in civil court.

whoflungdo
11-25-2008, 14:42
Anybody who will steal your car will hurt you. So, what are you supposed to do . . . call 911?

I called 911 in Jackson when my daughter's car was stolen from the Home Depot parking lot. It took the PD about 45 minutes to get there and the female cop another 30 minutes (really) to open her door and get out of her car.

If people don't steal cars they won't risk getting killed by the owners for stealing cars.

Seems pretty obvious to me.

Not killing folks for "only property crimes" slides one into hiding in a closet when they break into your house.

Shooting them in the leg or something will just get you sued in civil court.

I called 911 early one morning like 1 or 2 a.m. when I saw a vehicle hit the concrete wall at briarwood. No one answered. I had to call back. He seemed okay, but I still thought it was the right thing to do.

OXCOPS
11-26-2008, 00:59

The question still remains, "Where is the IMMEDIATE threat of serious bodily harm, or death, to the property owner"? If you are in your house, and see someone breaking into your car, you are not in immediate danger of bodily harm.

The state of Mississippi has no provisions in statutory law for allowing deadly force to protect property.