Bargain GPS units? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Bargain GPS units?

Kadetklapp
11-24-2008, 12:05
I'm wanting a reliable, inexpensive touch-screen GPS for Christmas. Something in the $150 range. I'm doing a little ebay research but not sure about some of the brands I see. Anyone have any experiance with various brands in this price range?

I'm looking at 4.3" units as the smaller ones are hard to see and manipulate.

unlearned69
11-24-2008, 16:23
Consumer reports had good reviews on the TomToms. Radio Shack was having a sale on the TomTom One XL for under $100 refurbished. They had a lot of other models as well. Any of the big three, Garmin, Magellan, or TomTom should be just fine.

IndyGunFreak
11-24-2008, 16:28
I really like my TomTom's... I have two and think they are great. You might want to check ebay also... I got my one XL Widescreen off ebay as a refurb, for a good price.

IGF

Nicky D
11-26-2008, 15:48
I have a Garmin and am really happy with it. The unit I have is a NUVI. I think you should be able to find a really good deal now. Here is one from Newegg, it is just a little over what you said, it is $159 when you add it to the cart, check it out.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16858108321

CRANKLIN
11-30-2008, 07:03
I got a Mio c220 and a Mio c310x for DIRT cheap... ran a hack, installed tcpmp for mp3's and videos and the latest version of miomap with TTS support.... Now my cheap GPS unit does everything the more expensive units do AND more!

mnorton
11-30-2008, 11:47
I'd stay away from bargain basement "no name" GPS units like Nexstar and the like. Who knows how bad their customer service will be and if they'll even be around in the future. One of the most important things to consider is how often and how much do they release map updates. If they don't do updates, they'll quickly become out dated like a road atlas.

Javelin
11-30-2008, 11:51
Garmin or Tom Tom will be good units for you.

:)

syntaxerrorsix
11-30-2008, 12:12
I bought a Garmin Nuvi 205 yesterday for $119 and tax to replace my recently stolen Garmin 330c.

The satellite lock time is by far quicker, the top scroll bar no longer lists upcoming streets but you can see them in the map area. The speaker is straight junk. Sounds like an old AM radio, buzzy and really high pitched.

I do like the new (for me) option to save lat/lon locations. There is some fluff in regards to scenic views and pictures, theres an on board calculator and a unit converter.

There is also the option to upgrade to a pay service that monitors and updates your unit to real time traffic and weather reports that looks promising.

All the rest of the options appear standard at this point like fuel/food points of interest and the like.

One interesting item I have noticed is that it list the speed limit of the road you are on.

For an entry level GPS in the TomTom class I'm happy and will most likely get over the cruddy sound quality.