computer shut down....need advice [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : computer shut down....need advice

wallyglock
11-24-2008, 13:26
friends computer, a dell that is only 2 1/2 years old, ...when he tries to log the screen goes blue and instructs to :
disable or install any anti-virus disk defragmentation or back up utilities. check your hard drive confuguration and check for anty up dateed drivers. run chk dsk/f to check for hard drive coruption and then restart your computer.:wow:

he called dell and his warranty is up so dell wabted $50 to transfer him to tech division to work on problem.

is there a less expensive alternative, or can he do anything to remedy this problem his self ?:dunno:

or is the $ to dell the best way to go ? !

thanks wally

grokdesigns
11-24-2008, 15:03
Have him do a repair install of Windows, probably a corrupted NTFS driver. He could then run SpinRite to ensure that the hard drive is OK.

srhoades
11-24-2008, 15:18
Did you do the chkdsk?

grokdesigns
11-24-2008, 15:36
Did you do the chkdsk?
I read it as the computer is crashing on boot, so he may not be able to.

However, you may want to try and boot in safe mode (press F8 after computer BIOS screen disappears) and see if you're able to run chkdsk /f from safe mode.

azg2340
11-24-2008, 16:42
Insert windows install disk and do a repair after it boots up.

srhoades
11-24-2008, 18:40
Insert windows install disk and do a repair after it boots up.

If you mean choose repair and then do a chkdsk I would agree. If you mean do a repair install I disagree. We need to figure out what the problem is before we attempt a repair install.