You guys gotta try these. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : You guys gotta try these.

Armchair Commando
11-24-2008, 14:47
http://pi.b5z.net/i/u/230085/i/Heavy-Grips_hand_gripper-350-WEB2.jpg
They range from 100-350Lbs. I'm currently using the 250Lbs and their awesome. I'll probably move up to the 300's in a Month. they have other ones that go up to 500Lbs of Grip Strength.

NoGo
11-24-2008, 15:03
Those are a pretty good value in grippers. Another place to look is at Ironmind, for their Captains of Crush grippers. Don't pay attention to the weight values, they're just a rough estimate. Just grip grip and grip some more.

They help with deadlift grip. I used to lose anything over 315 after 4-5 reps if I didn't use straps using a double overhand grip. After just 6 weeks, I can hang on to 405 for 5. After that I still wuss out and resort to straps.

Armchair Commando
11-24-2008, 16:59
Those are a pretty good value in grippers. Another place to look is at Ironmind, for their Captains of Crush grippers. Don't pay attention to the weight values, they're just a rough estimate. Just grip grip and grip some more.

They help with deadlift grip. I used to lose anything over 315 after 4-5 reps if I didn't use straps using a double overhand grip. After just 6 weeks, I can hang on to 405 for 5. After that I still wuss out and resort to straps.

Your using Chalk right? I have some Magnesium Carbonate i bought from APT, It's much better than the previous Garbage i had. The Chalk is really soft and makes the Grip feel like Super glue when i grab the Bar. I've been doing 5 sets of 30 Reps with the 250Lb Grippers so it's getting pretty close to moving up to the next level. I did a 275Lb One Arm Deadlift Wednesday of Last Week. That made me feel pretty good.

GJ1981
11-24-2008, 19:17
You should try to get certificated on the COC #3. If your doing that many reps with a 250, assuming it's accurate on its rating, you should be able to get a #3. If you're one for bragging rights it would be worth it. I am not a huge fan grippers, the Rolling Thunder is another story though.

NoGo
11-25-2008, 06:46
Your using Chalk right? I have some Magnesium Carbonate i bought from APT, It's much better than the previous Garbage i had. The Chalk is really soft and makes the Grip feel like Super glue when i grab the Bar. I've been doing 5 sets of 30 Reps with the 250Lb Grippers so it's getting pretty close to moving up to the next level. I did a 275Lb One Arm Deadlift Wednesday of Last Week. That made me feel pretty good.

Again, the # are a rough estimate of the resistance, but if you're closing 250# grippers all the way 30 times for 5 sets, go ahead and get a set of C of C #3's and possibly #4's. Check their website for info on having a designated observer witness you closing them and get your name in MILO. Not too many guys out there that can close #3, and a very few that can close #4.

Chalk- Yes, Mag Carbonate chalk is in a bag next to my cage. It's a hand saver.

BCR
11-25-2008, 10:33
I found those grippers were very inconsistent compared to the Captains of Crush.

The weights felt soft/easy versus the same CoC weights. I had several of each at one time, and sold my Heavy Grips on ebay.

Still have the CoC Trainer, and #1 and #2.

Thats crazy hand strength you got there Streetking!

Armchair Commando
11-25-2008, 11:10
Again, the # are a rough estimate of the resistance, but if you're closing 250# grippers all the way 30 times for 5 sets, go ahead and get a set of C of C #3's and possibly #4's. Check their website for info on having a designated observer witness you closing them and get your name in MILO. Not too many guys out there that can close #3, and a very few that can close #4.

Chalk- Yes, Mag Carbonate chalk is in a bag next to my cage. It's a hand saver. That's per week Nogo, Not 5 Sets of 30 Reps in a Day. I think i'm going to order the CoC 3's and practice with those and see how i do.

Armchair Commando
11-25-2008, 11:12
I found those grippers were very inconsistent compared to the Captains of Crush.

The weights felt soft/easy versus the same CoC weights. I had several of each at one time, and sold my Heavy Grips on ebay.

Still have the CoC Trainer, and #1 and #2.

Thats crazy hand strength you got there Streetking! The Majority of my Grip Strength came from Racing Motocross for 5 Years. Those Grippers i bought do help and i never use Straps except for Maybe Super Heavy Shrugs but even then i go until Grip Fatigue before i use the Straps. Heavy Deadlifts have also helped Tremendously.

BCR
11-25-2008, 12:22
The Majority of my Grip Strength came from Racing Motocross for 5 Years. Those Grippers i bought do help and i never use Straps except for Maybe Super Heavy Shrugs but even then i go until Grip Fatigue before i use the Straps. Heavy Deadlifts have also helped Tremendously.

Yeah, I only use straps on shrugs and romanian DL, nothing else.

Ironically, i think grippers make my grip worse. But I am an odd duck with some sort of carpal tunnel or Thoracic Outlet Syndrome. The more I use my hands (like yard work or working on a car) my hands loose dexterity and loose strength. They ache like crazy.

You might be in for a surprise when you try the COC #3 gripper.

I can't remember the exact weights, but as an example: If I had a COC that was equal to 100lbs, and one that was 200lbs. So I bought the Heavy Grips 150, and it felt softer than the COC 100.

Armchair Commando
11-25-2008, 16:31
Yeah, I only use straps on shrugs and romanian DL, nothing else.

Ironically, i think grippers make my grip worse. But I am an odd duck with some sort of carpal tunnel or Thoracic Outlet Syndrome. The more I use my hands (like yard work or working on a car) my hands loose dexterity and loose strength. They ache like crazy.

You might be in for a surprise when you try the COC #3 gripper.

I can't remember the exact weights, but as an example: If I had a COC that was equal to 100lbs, and one that was 200lbs. So I bought the Heavy Grips 150, and it felt softer than the COC 100.

I think i have Carpal Tunnel as well, Whenever i go for a Drive or to the Store my Hands hurt when i Grab the Steering wheel with any kind of Grip. But they don't hurt at all when i'm in the Gym doing Deadlifts or Barbell Rows.

BCR
11-26-2008, 01:43
I think i have Carpal Tunnel as well, Whenever i go for a Drive or to the Store my Hands hurt when i Grab the Steering wheel with any kind of Grip. But they don't hurt at all when i'm in the Gym doing Deadlifts or Barbell Rows.

LOL. I'm kinda the same way. Doesn't bother me in the gym.

But it I have to pinch grip something I'm about as strong as a 9 year old girl.

Like holding a pistol slide in one hand to scrub it. YEOW!