Ft. Benning! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ft. Benning!

Fire_Medic
11-25-2008, 06:19
Ok, so I'm set to ship out for Basic in May of '09, and as my luck would have it, I'm off to Ft. Benning. I don't hear much good about Ft. Benning, and my retired Lt.Col stepfather said pray you don't get sent there. So any of you who have BEEN to Ft. Benning, I would appreciate some feedback. What's it like, really as hard as they say, or is it just people spreading rumors.

Thanks. :wavey:

GJ1981
11-25-2008, 08:19
The post doesn't make it hard there, that all depends on your DS. Since you're going there in the summer, the heat and humidity is bad if you're not use to it. Do as you're told and DRINK WATER, I was there in August and we had plenty of heat casualties from not drinking enough. You'll learn to watch for the ant hills, they're everywhere. I actually liked Ft Benning over Ft Hood, I don't know what you've heard bad about Benning?

Fire_Medic
11-25-2008, 11:20
The post doesn't make it hard there, that all depends on your DS. Since you're going there in the summer, the heat and humidity is bad if you're not use to it. Do as you're told and DRINK WATER, I was there in August and we had plenty of heat casualties from not drinking enough. You'll learn to watch for the ant hills, they're everywhere. I actually liked Ft Benning over Ft Hood, I don't know what you've heard bad about Benning?

Everyone's just told me it's the worst place to go for basic, and I get weird faces and oh ***** comments when I tell people I'm heading to Benning. So I just wanted some info from people who've been there. As far as the heat, I know it's not the same, but I'm from Miami, FL so I'm use to heat in the summer.

CPT_CRUNCH
11-25-2008, 11:49
benning gets a bad rap b/c of the high percentage of... "strong willed" people there. its home of the infantry. also some intense training happens there too. and you're going in the summer months and it will get hot and extremely humid. i've never been to miami, but i've been to other places in florida... you'll be fine!

that being said, you're going there for basic. do what you're told, dont stick out, trust your DS and you'll do fine. and dont be a bravo foxtrot!

Norman
11-25-2008, 12:10
and dont be a bravo foxtrot!

:supergrin:

I still love the term. Still use it when out with bravos.

You'll be glad you went to Benning, when it's all said and done. Remember to give every day 110%, don't attract attention, don't make enemies, and enjoy the fun. This is the start of a new life. Make yourself proud. Tell family and friends you'll get back to them when it's all nearly over. Focus on learning and getting your rest.

Is Benning harder? Yea, it probably is. Don't you want to be harder than the rest? You're training for your survival and your future buddies. Train like you mean it.

Fire_Medic
11-25-2008, 13:31
Thanks fellas. Someone else told me today, benning wasn't as bad as they say. It's what you make of it. Can't wait to ship out, but I wanted to wait until after the baby's first B-Day. I'll be at reception for 4 days and then off to Benning. After Benning I head to Ft. Sam for my AIT. Then I'll be back home to my family and friends, and civilian career for a couple of months. Thanks for the responses, if anyone else has any they would be greatly appreciated.

:wavey:FM

Rakkasan
11-25-2008, 14:32
You'll be fine. Remember how apprehensive you are now when it's all over, and you will laugh at this thread. :supergrin:

I'm guessing since you have a child, you are a little bit older. You've been around the block a few times, you know exactly what you are getting into. Keep a level head, do what the DS says, and learn as much as you can. Just remember, it's just as mental as it is physical. You'll get screwed over many times with the whole mass punishment thing, just get used to it. Sometimes you'll get your limits tested a few times and think you are going to die... you wont. Oh, and have fun! :tongueout:

luv2brode
11-25-2008, 14:47
suck it up and drive on

Fire_Medic
11-25-2008, 17:18
You'll be fine. Remember how apprehensive you are now when it's all over, and you will laugh at this thread. :supergrin:

I'm guessing since you have a child, you are a little bit older. You've been around the block a few times, you know exactly what you are getting into. Keep a level head, do what the DS says, and learn as much as you can. Just remember, it's just as mental as it is physical. You'll get screwed over many times with the whole mass punishment thing, just get used to it. Sometimes you'll get your limits tested a few times and think you are going to die... you wont. Oh, and have fun! :tongueout:

Yes I'm 28 and I'm assuming this will be like fire academy except we'll be shooting guns. I'll remember to laugh later when it's over, lol. :tongueout:

CPT_CRUNCH
11-25-2008, 21:19
just remember its all a game. a game to train... and to make you a Soldier. use your maturity and experience to help your team. there will be a lot of kiddies w/ you so try and do your part to guide them. but dont step on any toes. dont be surprised if your DS uses your maturity early.

btw... you'll enjoy kuwait!

Fire_Medic
11-26-2008, 20:48
just remember its all a game. a game to train... and to make you a Soldier. use your maturity and experience to help your team. there will be a lot of kiddies w/ you so try and do your part to guide them. but dont step on any toes. dont be surprised if your DS uses your maturity early.

btw... you'll enjoy kuwait!

Thanks for the kinds words. Yes I know there will be A LOT of kiddies. I'm surrounded by them in the RSP program right now. I've never felt so old, lol. Thanks for the kind words.:wavey:

Biscuitsjam
11-27-2008, 12:10
It's all a bunch of mental games. Drill Sergeants tell soldiers that wives girlfriends are cheating, or they say that we just went to war with Iran and everybody is going to take part in the invasion shortly, or that time will just drag on forever. They'll punish you for "screwing up" 100 times in a row, even though you can't figure out what you did wrong. They single out soldiers for humiliation in front of the unit. Don't let the stuff bother you and you'll be fine. Keep your head down, do what you're told, and don't cause the drill sergeants to learn your name. The Drill Sergeants can't really do half of what they say...

Also, be smart about injuries - be very careful to get shoes and boots that fit. Be very careful not to hurt your back or your knees. Avoid doing anything that's likely to result in injury, such as jumping on a wet log or running at night through the woods when you can't see.

You're a good age to go through BASIC. The 18 year-olds have problems with the psych games, while the 30-something guys have problems with the physical part. If you ever get to a point where you don't think you can go on, just look around at everybody else. They're hurting as much as you do, at least one of them is a total moron, and they're still going.

luv2brode
11-27-2008, 14:20
yeah i was 27 when i went in and was the oldest in the company.

Fire_Medic
11-30-2008, 19:40
It's all a bunch of mental games. Drill Sergeants tell soldiers that wives girlfriends are cheating, or they say that we just went to war with Iran and everybody is going to take part in the invasion shortly, or that time will just drag on forever. They'll punish you for "screwing up" 100 times in a row, even though you can't figure out what you did wrong. They single out soldiers for humiliation in front of the unit. Don't let the stuff bother you and you'll be fine. Keep your head down, do what you're told, and don't cause the drill sergeants to learn your name. The Drill Sergeants can't really do half of what they say...

Also, be smart about injuries - be very careful to get shoes and boots that fit. Be very careful not to hurt your back or your knees. Avoid doing anything that's likely to result in injury, such as jumping on a wet log or running at night through the woods when you can't see.

You're a good age to go through BASIC. The 18 year-olds have problems with the psych games, while the 30-something guys have problems with the physical part. If you ever get to a point where you don't think you can go on, just look around at everybody else. They're hurting as much as you do, at least one of them is a total moron, and they're still going.

:thumbsup: Excellent post. Thanks. :wavey:

reptiman
12-07-2008, 19:45
You'll be glad you went to Benning, when it's all said and done. Remember to give every day 110%, don't attract attention, don't make enemies, and enjoy the fun..

This is good advice.

Biscuitsjam
12-07-2008, 21:50
The beginning is hard - after that is easy.

You'll start at Reception, which is BASIC lite. You'll have drill sergeants and get yelled at, but they aren't too mean to you. I think it's done that way to help ease you into the experience. You'll stay at Reception anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks waiting for the next class to open up. After you pass your initial PT test (13 pushups in 2 mins, 17 situps, and a slow jog/walk), you can start.

At BASIC, you'll get off a bus or truck and walk into ~10 drill sergeants screaming at you. They'll ask you to do impossible physical activities (such as 200+ pushups with a 50lb duffelbag on your back). You'll fail and get screamed at more. Anybody who shows signs of weakness (crying, quiting, etc.) will get singled out and the drill sergeants will try to make them give up. For the next 3 days, it's almost nonstop.

Then, it slackens up. The next two weeks are still pretty bad, but they don't seem overwhelming after the first 3 days. Once you get out of Red Phase, the drill sergeants rotate schedules so you'll only have a few there at a time, and they relax some. There are some awful days and occasional personal challenges, but its mostly ticking days off calender. Only the beginning is tough - the rest is almost a cakewalk. Lots of guys are actually really disappointed that BASIC isn't more like Full Metal Jacket or Tigerland. If you want a tougher experience, you'll need to go to Air Assault, Ranger, SERE, Special Forces selection, or a half-dozen other schools of various lengths and difficulties.

Of course, the rest of BASIC isn't much fun. Looking at a calender and thinking "it's 91 more days of this crap" can really get to you. And then, a few days later "it's still 86 days?" You get no privacy and no alone time. They're required to give you one phone call within the first 24 hours of starting BASIC. My next call came 6 weeks later and lasted about 2 minutes.

And, finally, it's over. You get to go home, drink beer, and do all the crazy stuff you've been talking about for a long time. The rest of the army isn't nearly so silly as what you experience in BASIC.

MikeD71
12-11-2008, 07:32
You'll be okay. Was at "Sand Hill" for basic and AIT. Harmony Church had just closed the year before I got there. Was there for Infantry School...which is the starting point for many MOS's. The first few days is reception. You'll get suited up, and acclimated. Some PT etc. From there, you'll likely board "cattle cars" which will take you to your barracks. That's when all hell breaks loose. When you arrive, the drill sergeants will be coming out of woodwork, and IN YOUR FACE. This is designed to break you down and weed out the weak. I remember an Oklahoma linebacker, big guy, I swear he was about to cry. Just remember, this is TRAINING, and we all did it. GOOD LUCK!

srob7001
12-11-2008, 10:00
You will be glad you went to Benning when it is all said and done. Think of it this way. Majority of the Army's top schools for training are at Benning. Infantry, Sniper, Air Borne, Ranger. So yea it will suck if you aren't willing to give everything you can.

I personally was at Benning for Infantry training and yea it was hot and yea it was tough, but you suck it up and do what you are supposed to do and it will make you a better person in the end.

Can Do attitude will get you a long ways in the Army.

Good Luck!!!

NGWT
12-12-2008, 02:19
It's Basic. Doesn't matter if it's at Benning or Vegas. You won't see much of it anyhow.

srob7001
12-12-2008, 08:47
Basic is not basic. It depends on your MOS. I was Infantry and I saw all the guys and girls in there basic and its totally different. If you are in a fighting MOS expect a bit harder and more detailed basic.

claymore504
12-12-2008, 12:28
I went through basic/AIT and Airborne at Benning from June 97 to Oct 97. Being From SE Texas the heat did not bother me. However, we had a few heat injuries. Are you going Infantry? When i went that is the only MOS going there for basic. it was good training looking back now.

Fire_Medic
12-12-2008, 17:21
I went through basic/AIT and Airborne at Benning from June 97 to Oct 97. Being From SE Texas the heat did not bother me. However, we had a few heat injuries. Are you going Infantry? When i went that is the only MOS going there for basic. it was good training looking back now.

I'm 68W, Medic. However, my unit is an infantry unit here locally. I would assume that's why I'm being sent to Benning. No matter I appreciate everyone's advice and can't wait to go and get it over with and be with my unit instead of the RSP program. :supergrin:

NGWT
12-13-2008, 01:27
Basic is not basic. It depends on your MOS. I was Infantry and I saw all the guys and girls in there basic and its totally different. If you are in a fighting MOS expect a bit harder and more detailed basic.
Really. So you think all those lucky folks in the country-club basic got to take tours of downtown Columbus, Columbia, Branson, etc., while all you poor bastards in the "hard" Basic were stuck on post?

Or do you think maybe you all saw the same pine trees, just from a different perspective?

claymore504
12-16-2008, 10:58
Really. So you think all those lucky folks in the country-club basic got to take tours of downtown Columbus, Columbia, Branson, etc., while all you poor bastards in the "hard" Basic were stuck on post?

Or do you think maybe you all saw the same pine trees, just from a different perspective?

it is different for different places. I went through Infantry (11B) OSUT at Ft. Benning. When I went home after Airborne school I described what I went through to some friends who were waiting to ship to other Forts. When i talked to them after their basic they said it was nothing like I described. They only used weapons durring range qual and had rubber ducks the rest of the time. They also said they got pizza while training!!! LOL

Not exactly what I went through for sure!!! LOL

NGWT
12-16-2008, 20:47
They also said they got pizza while training!!! LOL

That sounds like Air Force basic :rofl:

My Basic was pretty tough but I'm sure nothing like 11B OSUT. Plus, I'm sure many have what I would consider to be "normal" Basic Training but then things lighten up considerably when they get to AIT.

I had two MOSs. The first AIT was about 36 weeks and the second was almost 52 weeks. Not consecutive. I entered the army and did the first then reenlisted 4yrs later and did the second.

I'll be the first to admit my AITs were pretty damn easy. But that was long ago and I think they've even tightened those up somewhat.

luv2brode
12-16-2008, 23:10
it is different for different places. I went through Infantry (11B) OSUT at Ft. Benning. When I went home after Airborne school I described what I went through to some friends who were waiting to ship to other Forts. When i talked to them after their basic they said it was nothing like I described. They only used weapons durring range qual and had rubber ducks the rest of the time. They also said they got pizza while training!!! LOL

Not exactly what I went through for sure!!! LOL

hey claymore, who was ya with at benning i was there may-sept A 2-19.
then jump then campbell.

srob7001
12-17-2008, 07:29

umm... its not the same. Regular basic for non fighting MOS's is only 9 weeks then you go to AIT.

Infantry basic has no AIT just 14 weeks of a more detailed basic training. Also I know for a fact that regular basic does not have a 25 mile road march at the end. Also regular basic has girls. Infantry doesn't.

So yea....I would say it is a bit different. Not saying its any better but they train you on different things since infantry is a fighting MOS and not something like a medic or mechanic.

No need to get your panties in a bunch. Just stating that it is different.

claymore504
12-17-2008, 08:44
I remember getting woke up at 0400 by our Drill Sergeants and being yelled at to get up. They said welcome to AIT you F$#@ers and started smoking us. Nothing changed from basic to AIT except everyone started their MOS specific training for 11B, 11C, and I think we had some 11M guys in there as well.

claymore504
12-17-2008, 08:47
hey claymore, who was ya with at benning i was there may-sept A 2-19.
then jump then campbell.

I was in C co. 1-19, Airborne, B co. 1/503 (2nd ID) Camp Casey Korea and then A co. 2/504 PIR 82nd Airborne. Then i did 7 years in the Texas Army National Guard.

srob7001
12-17-2008, 10:23
I was at Benning for 11M training but was told all 11 series MOS's are being trained together and that the 11M would be considered 11B once we got to out units...and it happened. Got to my unit(3rd ID C company) and was put in my company and half the platoon were bradley personel and the rest of us were considered 11B even though we rode around in the back of the Bradleys.

Fun fun stuff!!!! Except the NTC training which was the hottest training of my life, but the mountains were a lot nicer than the dreaded georgia woods. I hate Georgia with a passion now because of Ft. Stewart.

claymore504
12-17-2008, 12:04
I was at Benning for 11M training but was told all 11 series MOS's are being trained together and that the 11M would be considered 11B once we got to out units...and it happened. Got to my unit(3rd ID C company) and was put in my company and half the platoon were bradley personel and the rest of us were considered 11B even though we rode around in the back of the Bradleys.

Fun fun stuff!!!! Except the NTC training which was the hottest training of my life, but the mountains were a lot nicer than the dreaded georgia woods. I hate Georgia with a passion now because of Ft. Stewart.

I have been to Ft. Stewart and I have been to NTC. I was never stationed at Stewart, but yeah....it sucks!!! I only did one rotation at NTC and that was enough. We went durring the winter. I did two rotations at JRTC and it was good training, but a miserable place!!!

srob7001
12-17-2008, 12:45
NTC was a big wake up call.

I couldn't believe how many people "died" from friendly fire. Made me really not want to be in a real world situation with some of these people. I mean I know you don't have to do well on your ASVAB to get Infantry but some of these guys are idiots. I'm no scholar but I felt like a gennius when I got to my unit.

ranger88
12-18-2008, 15:21
They don't call it Ft. Beginning for nothing...

You'll be fine as long as you're in reasonable physical shape. Do push-ups, sit-ups and run as much as you can and you'll breeze through Basic and AIT. As for the mental part, it's all in you're head. You've either got the fortitude to endure or you don't. The heat won't bother you since you're profile says that you're in Florida. Just do as you're told and maintain a low profile. My Dad was a 27 year Infantryman and the only advice that he gave me when I went to Basic was "be invisible". Good luck and keep us posted as to your progress.

And thank you for serving!!!

Fire_Medic
12-18-2008, 18:33
They don't call it Ft. Beginning for nothing...

You'll be fine as long as you're in reasonable physical shape. Do push-ups, sit-ups and run as much as you can and you'll breeze through Basic and AIT. As for the mental part, it's all in you're head. You've either got the fortitude to endure or you don't. The heat won't bother you since you're profile says that you're in Florida. Just do as you're told and maintain a low profile. My Dad was a 27 year Infantryman and the only advice that he gave me when I went to Basic was "be invisible". Good luck and keep us posted as to your progress.

And thank you for serving!!!

Thanks for the advice, it's a little hard being invisible though when you're 5'10 225 pounds, lol. I tried that in the fire academy and they made me class leader.:rofl:

I will keep you guys updated, ship out date is May 22, 2009. I have to have a minor surgery in January to repair one of my toes which I dislocated the joint. Gonna see what I can do for the 3 weeks of recuperation to stay in shape, maybe they'll let me swim or something.

Just gonna try to enjoy my holidays, first XMAS with the little baby girl, next year my life will dramatically change, and I ship out a couple weeks after her birthday. Got word this week my unit is set to deploy DEC of '09 for 12 months, we'll see what happens.

:patriot:

Javelin
12-18-2008, 18:51
Benning School for Boys? Yep. It's a good experience. Hard? LOL no. I went to IOBC and the gammit of follow on schools there (like 9 months total). It was a good experience. You will be at Sand Hill... don't expect pizza. But bring a good pair of running shoes for Cardiac Hill. They will have you out there on Tri-Color land night land nav looking for a coffee can in the woods soon enough.

Oh and be sure to volunteer/work hard so you can get into Jump School while your there. Thats the best show in town. If you can swing a Ranger slot grab it and don't look back. Hardest thing about Army schools is getting in.

Just do your best!

:wavey:

Fire_Medic
12-18-2008, 19:31
Benning School for Boys? Yep. It's a good experience. Hard? LOL no. I went to IOBC and the gammit of follow on schools there (like 9 months total). It was a good experience. You will be at Sand Hill... don't expect pizza. But bring a good pair of running shoes for Cardiac Hill. They will have you out there on Tri-Color land night land nav looking for a coffee can in the woods soon enough.

Oh and be sure to volunteer/work hard so you can get into Jump School while your there. Thats the best show in town. If you can swing a Ranger slot grab it and don't look back. Hardest thing about Army schools is getting in.

Just do your best!

A few people have told me this about Airborne and Air Assault, but my question is if my orders state after Basic I'm to go to AIT on such and such a date then how would this be arranged?

Javelin
12-18-2008, 19:37
A few people have told me this about Airborne and Air Assault, but my question is if my orders state after Basic I'm to go to AIT on such and such a date then how would this be arranged?

When you go through Basic and AIT there are slots that become available and they (Drill Sergeants) will need to select individuals to fill them. And those slots go to those who express interest or do well. And Jump School is only offered at Benning. Obviously your follow-on unit will weigh heavily upon your follow-on orders and schools (ie Italy, 82nd, SF, etc) and such will opportunities. If you are going Mech Infantry you will have less options automatically available and so you will need to work hard and volunteer to get them.

Air Assault on the other hand is offered many places... just not at Benning. But they are dirty nasty legs and you don't want to be one of those..

:rofl:

J/K (its a jump school thing)

Fire_Medic
12-18-2008, 19:45
When you go through Basic and AIT there are slots that become available and they (Drill Sergeants) will need to select individuals to fill them. And those slots go to those who express interest or do well. And Jump School is only offered at Benning. Obviously your follow-on unit will weigh heavily upon your follow-on orders and schools (ie Italy, 82nd, SF, etc) and such will opportunities. If you are going Mech Infantry you will have less options automatically available and so you will need to work hard and volunteer to get them.

Air Assault on the other hand is offered many places... just not at Benning. But they are dirty nasty legs and you don't want to be one of those..

:rofl:

J/K (its a jump school thing)

So you're saying they could reserve a spot for me for Airbone for when I'm done with AIT? My MOS is 68W-Medic.

Sorry for all the questions. By the way I'm joining the NG not going active duty.

luv2brode
12-18-2008, 22:56
I was in C co. 1-19, Airborne, B co. 1/503 (2nd ID) Camp Casey Korea and then A co. 2/504 PIR 82nd Airborne. Then i did 7 years in the Texas Army National Guard.

yeah i did 6 years texas guard

luv2brode
12-18-2008, 22:57
So you're saying they could reserve a spot for me for Airbone for when I'm done with AIT? My MOS is 68W-Medic.

Sorry for all the questions. By the way I'm joining the NG not going active duty.

yes any one can get into jump school.
VOLUNTEER, for anything and everything, its the army way!
lol

Fire_Medic
12-19-2008, 07:17
yes any one can get into jump school.
VOLUNTEER, for anything and everything, its the army way!
lol

Good to know thanks, maybe I'll come back a Flying Medic.......:rofl:

Sweet! :supergrin:

pt945
12-20-2008, 13:23
talk to your recruiter if you want airborne or air assault school get it in writing this is the best way to guarentee a school. also going in the guard schools do not open up very fast. you are state paid not federal so schools are hard to come by... let me rephrase that GOOD schools are hard to come by. on the other hand remember all schools are good for promotion points i have even spent 2 weeks learning to drive a PLS. in your unit volunteer for schools etc. DO NOT volunteer for any thing in basic my dad tells of the time his d/s asked for a volunteer driver and he raised his hand and spent every night for the next week "driving" a floor buffer in the common areas and drill halls.

good luck and thank you for wanting to serve our great country.

God bless
chris

Bren
12-23-2008, 09:24
Yes I'm 28 and I'm assuming this will be like fire academy except we'll be shooting guns.

If that's what you expect, maybe you should worry.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Bren
12-23-2008, 09:26

I've never even heard of that at Ft. Jackson. It must ahve been a while back, because now everybody in iet carries their own rifle 24/7 - weapons immersion.

Fire_Medic
12-24-2008, 11:06
If that's what you expect, maybe you should worry.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Lol, actually that would make it fun. I LOVE shooting! :supergrin:

Biscuitsjam
12-24-2008, 11:23

Sorry for all the questions. By the way I'm joining the NG not going active duty.You may get the opportunity for Airborne, Air Assault, Pathfinder, Mountain Warfare, SERE, or any of a dozen other "high-speed" schools. However, those will need to be arranged by your National Guard unit - it is unlikely that you could get "picked" while at BASIC.

Here's how it works...

Your Guard unit gets so many "slots" for schools every year. They can also ask for a few additional slots, put guys on standby lists, or finagle other guys into schools from time to time.

If your Guard unit gets a slot for a school and then doesn't send anybody, they'll have their slots cut for the next year. Thus, they get REALLY pissed off when soldiers cancel at the last minute. The Training NCO has a list of "go-to guys" that they feel are reliable and get asked to go to most of the schools. They also contact these same "go-to guys" when somebody cancels.

If you want to get picked for schools, here's what you need to do:
1. NEVER cancel a school. NEVER turn down a school because it sounds boring.
2. Stay in touch with the armory. We have guys that come by once a week to mow the grass, just because it means that they can talk to the training NCO and find out about schools being offered.
3. Maintain top physical fitness. If a soldier fails a school, it hurts the entire unit (number of slots for next year, number of qualified soldiers for that job, etc.)
4. Get a reputation for excellence. Military bearing, good attitude, knowledge, and so on.

The Maggy
12-24-2008, 19:06
You'll be alright at Benning. From what I remember there was one BN that handled the non-11 guys. Unlike the other BCT sites youre probably going to have a higher number of 11 series DS's and no females.

Its all going to come down to what you want to make of it. You will have the best oppritunity to learn there then any other tradoc post.

wsc2867
01-01-2009, 21:25
My Basic Training experience at Benning is from 1987 and I was at Infantry OSUT, so things have probably changed lot since then. Here are a few thoughts, however...

My Company was at Sand Hill. Other than Sunday church services, I never saw main post...

I started Basic in January. It seemed to be cold and rainy the entire time I was there. My buddies who went in the summer had a completely different experience as I did. They had issues with fire ants and poison ivy, if I remember correctly...

I was hungry and tired almost the whole time I was there. Not Ranger school hungry and tired, but just`constantly wore out.

They allowed us to buy vitamin c / cough drops at the PX and take them when we wanted. Make sure to do this - even in the summer, someone will get the crud (coughing-sneezing, congestion, etc) and you guys will all share it...

Be the "gray man" (who blends into the background) as much as possible. Do what you're told and do it right the first time. This will head off 95% of the troubles you might potentially have. However...

With your age and experience, you will likely be chosen as a platoon or squad leader. You will be at Benning with some of the smartest and some of the stupidest people you will ever meet, and your ability to work with them and accomplish assigned tasks is what will make the experience easy or hard.

Lastly, I hated Benning while I was at basic. I went straight from Sand Hill to Airborne School and, once I got a litle more freedom, found that the post wasn't that bad. I ended up going to to a lot of schools there and a good friend got married in the Marshall House on main post after he got his commission. I live within 2 1/2 hous of Columbus and go to Benning every now and then to see the Infantry Museum (which is closed temporarily) and the rest of the area. It's no better or worse than any of the other bases I went to...

YMMV

Norman
01-01-2009, 21:39
On the topic of volunteering, a good friend of mine I've known for many years told me a story about his father who was in the Army during Vietnam (he may have been Infantry - not sure). Anywho, this gentleman (my friend's father) was told by someone he knew on base one day, early during his active duty career, something along the lines of, "Listen, tomorrow they're going to ask for volunteers for something. As soon as they do, make sure you volunteer." Not knowing what it was all about, but trusting this friend of his, sure enough the next day during formation they asked for two volunteers.

He quickly raised his hand first. Another guy also volunteered. Those two volunteers were sent to Europe. The rest of the group was sent to Vietnam. My friend might not even be here today if it weren't for his dad volunteering that morning.

Fire_Medic
01-02-2009, 07:11
Thanks fellas for all of your responses, I would like to try and keep this thread alive until I ship off in May. Unfortunately I have to have a minor surgery this month on my right foot, but the doc said I should be up and about in 3 weeks, and running again in 4. I appreciate everyone's responses, and happy new year.

Rally Vincent
01-02-2009, 07:31
I hope Sand Hill leaves some scars on you.

Biscuitsjam
01-03-2009, 02:12
On the topic of volunteering:

Always volunteer.... for jobs that sound easy. That way, when the crap jobs come along, the leader-types pick someone else. Half of enlisted life is a quest to sham out of work.

Sweeping the floor is a whole lot better than scrubbing urinals with paper towels and no gloves.

Helping 15 guys unload a truck for 10 minutes is a whole lot better than getting chosen to hump an M240 for a 3-day field training exercise.

I ain't saying to curry favor - don't, because nobody likes a kiss-ass, especially drill sergeants. I'm just giving a tip on how to get out of work. In BASIC, you want to fly under the radar. Standing out to the drill sergeants, even in a "good" way, is a bad thing.

The Maggy
01-03-2009, 02:30
I hope Sand Hill leaves some scars on you.

lol

theres volunteering and then theres voluntelling. Your NCO's will notice if youre only volunteering for easy jobs and end up sticking you with something bad. A good tactic is just volunteer for everything...:whistling:

Bren
01-03-2009, 05:57
Thanks fellas for all of your responses, I would like to try and keep this thread alive until I ship off in May. Unfortunately I have to have a minor surgery this month on my right foot, but the doc said I should be up and about in 3 weeks, and running again in 4. I appreciate everyone's responses, and happy new year.

That sounds like bad news. Are you going to have a problem shipping when you tell them about the surgery at your final med inspection on shipping day? That's the main thing they'll want to know is whether you've had any new medical issues and if they ehar you've had surgery I expect they will just DQ you until you can bring in a pile of paperwork and statements from the doctor.

Fire_Medic
01-03-2009, 06:26
That sounds like bad news. Are you going to have a problem shipping when you tell them about the surgery at your final med inspection on shipping day? That's the main thing they'll want to know is whether you've had any new medical issues and if they ehar you've had surgery I expect they will just DQ you until you can bring in a pile of paperwork and statements from the doctor.

I don't know yet, hopefully it won't be a hassle since it's a minor outpatient procedure.